Got attacked by a hog long read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got attacked by a hog long read

So was out feeding at the ranch and saw about a 50 pound hog take off up a draw. I stopped got off the gator and my Jadg jumped off and started down into the draw. I figured I would see pigs coming out quickly. Next thing I hear is a pig squeal and then saw a big sow come out of the draw my way. She spun and went towards the squealing. I heard my dog yelp and figured the hog was on her. I ran into the draw and heard the dog barking on the other side. This area is more open and I could see the hog spinning in circles while my dog was baying her. I had my wife’s 350 legend and cracked one off at 150 yards. I heard the gut shot sounding thump and figured it would slow the hog down. Well she kept going and the dog kept trying to bay her. We have now covered a thousand yards or so. I hear the dog has it bayed again in some nasty thick brush. The hog is gray colored and blended well with the brush. As I tried to get a better visual on the hog to finish it off I got a big surprise. The hog was backed into the brush and I was coming from the side at a 45. When I could finally see the hog I was straight in front of it and here it came full speed from 5-6 yards away. I squared up for the shot and recalled an experienced African hunter saying he was told to shoot at the leopard’s feet if it charged because it would hit it in the head. Well hogs are not as fast as leopards. I shot and guess it went in front of the hog. Next thing I knew I had a 150 pound sow rip upwards on the inside of my left leg. Luckily she started low and hit my snake boots. She spun and knocked me off of my feet. I could see her coming at my head and was able to elbow her in the face and hit her with my fist. She spun around, probably cause my dog bit her and I kicked her with the heal of my boot in the side. My Jadg jumped on her and she took off into the brush. The dog bayed her again and this time I was mad so off I went to finish the job. I saw the hog in the brush and shot. The hog dropped and my dog was all over her head. She flopped a few time and I thought she was done. Wrong, she got more lively and started charging the dog. I did not know where I hit her since I just shot a hog in the brush. I thought she might succumb to her wound but after 10 minutes of intense baying and charging I realized it was not happening and I was out of bullets. So I quick stepped it back to the gator and drove about 2 miles to the camp and got more bullets. When I returned my dog was jogging down the road about 500 yards from where we I left her and the hog. We road with in about 150 yards and off we went again. She immediately got on the hog and this time I was able to make a good finishing shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jags power there the best

Comment

Jagd

Comment

Good Dog!!! Glad all ended well.

Comment

That dog had the time of its life!

Comment

carry more bullets next time!

glad you both survived

Comment

Sounds like a rodeo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                Sounds like a rodeo!!!

Yea more like a goat rope LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you didn’t get hurt. Dang pigs are tough.

Comment

That dog gonna want to do it again tomorrow.

Comment

Great story.. thanks for sharing.
                      glad you're okay!

Comment

Awesome story. Glad all are OK!

Comment

Goodness, heck of a time. Glad you weren't hurt worse. Sounds like the dog had a blast and the hog put up a respectable final battle.

Comment

Sorry I couldn’t help but imagine this and laugh! I’ve been there before running dogs and a pig comes in from the side.

Glad it didn’t cut you up. On my last pair of snake boots I had a rip near the top where a boar hog hit me. Very greatful to have had snake boots on that night.

You might just have a hog dog in the making.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                              carry more bullets next time!

glad you both survived
                              A full 20 round mag and an extra too!

Comment

Working...
                              X