Elk hunting accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk hunting accident

I will never understand how something like this can happen. A muzzleloader hunter shot and killed an archery hunter. How in the world can you take a shot when you can’t even identify your target? Very sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He heard a noise, it was bugling....

I don't know how many times I've heard some one say, I heard a noise so I shot at it. It's been more than a couple.

Comment

Stick to private land

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
        He heard a noise, it was bugling....

I don't know how many times I've heard some one say, I heard a noise so I shot at it. It's been more than a couple.
        I pray I never have to be around anyone that would say that. Archery and muzzleloader seasons should never overlap.

Comment

Elk hunting accident

Sadly from what I read the deceased was from Houston, 31yo. Prayers up for all.

EDIT: just saw this information was in the screenshot posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The guy from Pa should be hung out to dry. What a tool.

Comment

Just a tragic event to happen to a fellow bowhunter from Texas, RIP Gregory Gabrisch. Lord, please be with the family and friends of Gregory Gabrisch during this very sad time.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                .......... Archery and muzzleloader seasons should never overlap.
                The State of Colorado should be held partially liable in these cases. Our group hunts the opening week and a half of Archery elk less than 30 miles from this incident. They've allowed rifle bear season to open the same time as Archery Elk and its worried me since they started it. Why put Archery hunters (who don't wear blaze orange) in a situation where they're stalking the same woods as a rifle hunter?

Comment

Prayers up for the families of the involved…

Comment

What always makes me wonder about these hunting accidents where someone gets shot . Why is it that most who supposedly get shot on accident, wind up dying?

If you can't see what you are shooting good enough to tell, what you are shooting at is a person. How do so many of those people manage to make lethal shots? So many hunters make bad shots, when they can clearly see the animal they are trying to kill.

I knew a guy years ago, who had a buddy that went to Colorado on a elk hunt. That guy and a couple other guys were sitting on a mountain, not a person in sight. Then one of the three got hit by a bullet, then a few seconds later heard the shot, so it was a very long range shot. The other two carried the one who got shot, back to the truck, but he was dead before they made it to the truck. They never found the guy, who fired the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                      I pray I never have to be around anyone that would say that. Archery and muzzleloader seasons should never overlap.
                      I disagree, if you prefer to bow hunt during gun season you should be allowed to. I bet the archery hunter wasn’t wearing orange, but archery aren’t isnt required to. Use common sense if archery during a gun season.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        What always makes me wonder about these hunting accidents where someone gets shot . Why is it that most who supposedly get shot on accident, wind up dying?

If you can't see what you are shooting good enough to tell, what you are shooting at is a person. How do so many of those people manage to make lethal shots? So many hunters make bad shots, when they can clearly see the animal they are trying to kill.

I knew a guy years ago, who had a buddy that went to Colorado on a elk hunt. That guy and a couple other guys were sitting on a mountain, not a person in sight. Then one of the three got hit by a bullet, then a few seconds later heard the shot, so it was a very long range shot. The other two carried the one who got shot, back to the truck, but he was dead before they made it to the truck. They never found the guy, who fired the shot.
                        I think a lot of it just has to do with the fact that the person is generally getting hit with a large caliber rifle round. They’re generally a long way from a vehicle, and who knows how far from a hospital.

Comment

It burns me up that a situation like this is ever referred to as an "accident". It's no such thing!
                          Prayers for the victim's family. The shooter should be doing time in the pen for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            The State of Colorado should be held partially liable in these cases. Our group hunts the opening week and a half of Archery elk less than 30 miles from this incident. They've allowed rifle bear season to open the same time as Archery Elk and its worried me since they started it. Why put Archery hunters (who don't wear blaze orange) in a situation where they're stalking the same woods as a rifle hunter?
                            One reason I stopped going. Formula for disaster!

Comment

Elk hunting accident

Sad deal.
                              I remember an article many moons ago (outdoor life maybe) describing how Turkey hunters get accidentally shot.

It had to do with the human brain doing the math for you- Turkey gobbling + movement + in the act of trying to kill Turkey = shoot Turkey. ( even though there never was a real Turkey)

That’s a sloppy description of what I remember, but always stuck with me.

Not making excuses and still a tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by DaveC; 09-19-2021, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X