Why in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    If you guys bad-mouthing East Texas deer hunting had any real idea of what kind of deer are regularly killed in "East Texas", you'd **** your pants! Over 60 years ago, my dad told me, "Son, if these people here in East Texas ever learned to protect their deer like they do in West Texas, this would be the most wonderful place in the country to deer hunt." It has taken a loooong time, but it's happening now... I live in Liberty County now and there are 200" deer killed every year within a few miles of my farm... I grew up in Angelina County, hunted Polk, Hardin, Trinity, and Liberty counties all my life, and today hunting in the area is better than it ever has been and rivals any South Texas lease for deer quality... I have a fancy South Texas deer lease because I like hunting that brush country, but the potential for me to kill a truly big deer is just as great within an hour of my house as it is 6 hours from my house... And yes we do have big bodied deer in East Texas... maybe not like the corn fed deer in the agriculture states spoke of in this thread, but if you want to go to those states and try to draw a tag and get lucky enough to hunt one deer, that's great for you... I can go buy my standard Texas hunting license and kill 3 monsters if I so desire, or at least I have the potential to do so... I'm not bad-mouthing the fact that the Midwest has big deer but few get to harvest them. It's just different and here in Texas, we have too many deer so our game regulations allow us to kill a good number of them every year... To me, that gives me more bang for the buck so to speak...

It is just very disappointing to me that fellow hunters that hunt somewhere else see fit to **** and moan about another area and its hunters... No wonder we are dwindling in numbers... new person sees/hears all this bitching and griping and slandering of one another, when we're all supposed to be common in our desires wouldn't want any part of that crap!

So yea, I guess opening day isn't what it used to be, but MLD didn't have a dang thing to do with it. WE SCREWED IT UP OURSELVES!
    Carry on...
    200" deer in Liberty County every year?? I need to see pics to beleive this. If so, I would bet escaped from a HF. Of course now you have HF escaped deer breeding improving genetics inmany areas, so possible.
    I hunted aTimber Lease in San Jacinto County for years, was a fun beer lease, but in 8 years is was on it, saw only 1 deer killed over 140. It was cheap, close to get too, but could be awfully boring if you like seeing deer everytime you hunt.. But I will never hunt a Timber Lease again...

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      Hey Josh can you borrow me 10 dollars? I need a bag of corn for this season. I’ll pay you back when my disability kicks in.
      I would but I have to scrap out this old AC unit in my front yard first to get my cash flow back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        Reading what some of you guys think about East TX hunting is funny. It reminds me of someone from across the pond thinking everyone in Texas has cows and wears a cowboy hat. I'm glad it has that stigma for most though so it doesn't draw more hunters from other parts of the state like South TX and the Hill Country does. There are some true giants here that most guys are way too smart to post on the ole interweb. These threads always crack me up.
        Lol for every 1 giant in ETX, there's 15 crackheads to deal with. Pass. I do love seeing those tall Pine trees though when I go to ETX

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
          200" deer in Liberty County every year?? I need to see pics to beleive this. If so, I would bet escaped from a HF. Of course now you have HF escaped deer breeding improving genetics inmany areas, so possible.
          I hunted aTimber Lease in San Jacinto County for years, was a fun beer lease, but in 8 years is was on it, saw only 1 deer killed over 140. It was cheap, close to get too, but could be awfully boring if you like seeing deer everytime you hunt.. But I will never hunt a Timber Lease again...
          I've seen some of Charlie's pictures and he dang sure ain't lying. I can also guarantee that he won't put them on here. Most of the guys I know that kill 160"+ deer in East Tx won't dare put them on Facebook or a forum, and are very selective in who they even show the pictures to.. San Jac County has produced some absolute monsters over the years but most weren't on timber leases like you were on. I don't care where in the state one hunts, you can find poorly ran overcrowded leases with average deer or low numbers.

Comment

its always funny when guys come on here talking about all the monster deer they/their friends/family kill/pass/see every year from a certain area, then have witnesses come forward validating the claim, but then be like, "but you will never see a picture of these deer on social media."

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              its always funny when guys come on here talking about all the monster deer they/their friends/family kill/pass/see every year from a certain area, then have witnesses come forward validating the claim, but then be like, "but you will never see a picture of these deer on social media."
              Odd as that seems... I know of a large low fence east tx lease that kills multiple over 170 every year. Posting them on social media will get a fellow dismissed from the lease.

Entering them in records or contests is strongly discouraged as well

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                Yes, you would be correct.

Comment

To all these guys from East Texas who are offended. Just roll with it, please don't try to convince or sway hunters who are satisfied hunting somewhere else that East Texas is worth their effort. To be honest, it is not worth their effort, it is very hard to kill a mature buck here, and 95% of hunters can't do it. I love the reputation East Texas has and accept it with open arms. AND the reputation is not some dreamed up misconception. I truly have had deer I was after poached, mature bucks don't come to feeders (unless u know how to do it), and we are over run with hogs (and hog hunters). BUT it makes the mature bucks WILD and very hard to kill........like they are supposed to be.

It truly is not for these guys and if they come, they will not be successful, nor satisfied. So let them carry on....and spread the word....It sucks here.

Comment

Our club is around 11,000 acres with 60+ members. I see the same 15-20 members year round. I am not even sure if the other members hunt more than a couple of times a year. I know it is a ghost town after Thanksgiving. Just the way I like it

I know two members that pay and have not been to their camp or hunting areas in at least two years.

Comment

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
                      To all these guys from East Texas who are offended. Just roll with it, please don't try to convince or sway hunters who are satisfied hunting somewhere else that East Texas is worth their effort. To be honest, it is not worth their effort, it is very hard to kill a mature buck here, and 95% of hunters can't do it. I love the reputation East Texas has and accept it with open arms. AND the reputation is not some dreamed up misconception. I truly have had deer I was after poached, mature bucks don't come to feeders (unless u know how to do it), and we are over run with hogs (and hog hunters). BUT it makes the mature bucks WILD and very hard to kill........like they are supposed to be.

It truly is not for these guys and if they come, they will not be successful, nor satisfied. So let them carry on....and spread the word....It sucks here.
                      WORD^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post

Agreed! A lease member got off this past Spring, because he couldn't kill deer "West Tx style". I tried to explain to him that would work at best, one time. I like the fact that hunting is hard in SETx.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          Hey Josh can you borrow me 10 dollars? I need a bag of corn for this season. I’ll pay you back when my disability kicks in.
                          I will loan you a bag of pea gravel to mix with your corn but you have to rake it up and return what the deer don't eat after season.

Comment

I hunted woodville for 1 year.... cams, feeder stolen and found cig butts n beer cans in my blind.

Never saw anything

Comment

It's not a lease it's "da club".
                              Go, shorty
                              It's ur birthday...
                              -fitty cent

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

*Laughs in panhandle* our fawns field dress 180

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...