Need Help: Solar Charger vs Poseidon Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help: Solar Charger vs Poseidon Pro

I need some technical & practical help. My son has a hunting trip to Idaho in a month or so. They will be backpacking in, probably 5 days max. I wanted to get him something to charge his cell phone, I know he will be using it for OnX Maps and possible phone use (coverage allowing)
    What are the pros/cons for a portable solar charger, like a Goal Zero Nomad 10 vs something like the Dark Energy Poseidon Pro. Have been told the portable solar chargers are not very dependable, snow and clouds really hinder their performance. I looked at the specs on the Poseidon, but i dont understand any of it, it is like reading Chinese!

Looking for some GS help, I know there a lot of Western hunters on here. Advice, or recommendations on something else would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Alan

I just got one of these:
    Lycan5000 power box, an all-in-one energy storage solar panel generator designed to supply energy emergencies and off-grid for home battery backup, is Renogy's newest solar power generator powerbox

And a couple of these:
    Renogy offer solar powered generators, portable solar generators, portable solar panel generator, solar power generator kit and solar powered battery chargers for home backup batteries and campers.

You use the solar charger to charge the power bank. You charge your devices with the power bank.

Comment

Better off going with a power bank. 30000 mAh will charge a phone 5-6 times. They are light and only cost about $30-40

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        I just got one of these:
        Lycan5000 power box, an all-in-one energy storage solar panel generator designed to supply energy emergencies and off-grid for home battery backup, is Renogy's newest solar power generator powerbox

And a couple of these:
        Renogy offer solar powered generators, portable solar generators, portable solar panel generator, solar power generator kit and solar powered battery chargers for home backup batteries and campers.

You use the solar charger to charge the power bank. You charge your devices with the power bank.
        With the price of power banks being very low now days compared to just a few years back I would invest in a pair of high mah rating and the fastest solar charge unit possible. I would rig the solar on the backpack and charge from there during daylight.

Comment

He needs a power bank. That's far more dependable. Now I use a power bank with a solar charger, but the solar is not dependable for a full charge, etc. Choice between a charger and a bank, bank for sure.

Comment

Makes sense, so actually he needs both. Could plug the Poseidon power bank into the solar charger to keep it charged.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
              With the price of power banks being very low now days compared to just a few years back I would invest in a pair of high mah rating and the fastest solar charge unit possible. I would rig the solar on the backpack and charge from there during daylight.
              That solar charger is a power bank as well with a built-in light. It's about the size of a cell phone and weighs 10oz. Pair that with a couple other banks and you're set for days.
              Last edited by Traildust; 08-08-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                That solar charger is a power bank as well with a built-in light. It's about the size of a cell phone and weighs 10oz. Pair that with a couple other banks and you're set for days.
                This is what I was thinking. couple power banks, one to take each day, the other being charged by solar charger. They have small ones. One of those would be good to stash in your EMS pouch, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  This is what I was thinking. couple power banks, one to take each day, the other being charged by solar charger. They have small ones. One of those would be good to stash in your EMS pouch, just in case.
                  This is going to CO with me in a couple weeks. I can charge my phone, garmin mini and/or hearing aids twice off of a 10000mah bank, so I should be fine regardless of how many days in the field.

Comment

Good info guys, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X