Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
drogers6771
Four Point

Hunt In: behind the house & public
Default Big Lake Bottom WMA

Me and a buddy got drawn for the first archery hunt at Big Lake Bottom, anybody else gonna be out there for that one? It's 9/27 - 10/6.

I plan on going down this weekend or next some time to do some scouting.

Also, if anyone has any advice for someone who has never been it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes I have read every thread on here already
drogers6771 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
HR3
Ten Point

Hunt In: AR,LA,MS,AL,TX,IN....

Woo Whoo.... I got drawn for 10/11 - 10/20

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
HR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
jnd1959
Eight Point

I got drawn as well. Either others know something that we don't, the system screwed up or we are just lucky. I'm there from 9-27 to 10-6 but I will likely hunt 9/27-9/29 and 10/5-10/6.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
HR3
Ten Point

I'm glad about it either way, it only took 3 years to get drawn.... Lol

Old 09-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

It is right across the Trinity from Richland Creek WMA. Very similar land, overflow river bottom, but there are more acorn trees there than RCWMA. I believe every hunt last year got flooded out.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Someone will get a second chance
I didnít accept my draw. Just canít get away on the dates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

I tried to go squirrel hunting there last year. It was a wet muddy mess from flooding and happened to be raining that weekend too. Couldn't even get around on my mule so I went home that same afternoon. Looks like they could be some pretty woods if it ever dried out. Good luck!!!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
drogers6771
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
I got drawn as well. Either others know something that we don't, the system screwed up or we are just lucky. I'm there from 9-27 to 10-6 but I will likely hunt 9/27-9/29 and 10/5-10/6.
Yeah it's certainly nice to have dates that cover two weekends for sure. My buddy Matt, my son, and I will be down 9/27-9/29 and then I will try and make it up at least 1 evening the following week. Me and my wife have concert tickets for a show in Houston on 10/5 so I will miss that evening hunt, but I'm there 10/4 and am of 10/6. It's only 1.5 hrs from the house so I can manage the back and forth driving without too much hassle
Old 09-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #9
HR3
Ten Point

Got drawn for the Antlerless and spike as well....

Old 09-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
drogers6771
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR3 View Post
Got drawn for the Antlerless and spike as well....

Right on! I drew antlerless/spike at enchanted rock
Old 09-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
jnd1959
Eight Point

Looks like rain this week. May be a repeat of last year. Hope not though. Thinking we'll scout this Saturday if it's not flooded.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
drogers6771
Four Point

River would have to come up 30 ft. The 5 or 6 inches they are calling for up there will fill the sloughs and close the roads to trucks though
Old 09-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
It is right across the Trinity from Richland Creek WMA. Very similar land, overflow river bottom, but there are more acorn trees there than RCWMA. I believe every hunt last year got flooded out.
If by right across the trinity you mean 18 miles downstream

The hardest part about hunting BLB is that it is almost all the same. There is very little to focus deer travel. They can pretty much just go anywhere. I found success by finding heavy brush lines along ditches and hunting the spots where there is a break in the brush where they are crossing.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #14
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

I love the area around RC WMA, never applied for the BLB WMA simply because the success percentages on past hunts were nearly always very low to zero on the TPWD site. Figured it had something to do with flooding or whatnot, these posts confirm it.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #15
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
If by right across the trinity you mean 18 miles downstream

The hardest part about hunting BLB is that it is almost all the same. There is very little to focus deer travel. They can pretty much just go anywhere. I found success by finding heavy brush lines along ditches and hunting the spots where there is a break in the brush where they are crossing.
Thanks. That's kind of what I planned. Also, looking at trails crossing roads. I looked at the area on onx and other than the right of way clearings I see no difference. It was clear not much could be gleaned from sat pictures. Topo did help some. Did you see many hogs?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #16
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks. That's kind of what I planned. Also, looking at trails crossing roads. I looked at the area on onx and other than the right of way clearings I see no difference. It was clear not much could be gleaned from sat pictures. Topo did help some. Did you see many hogs?
There are plenty of hogs there. Im not sure i saw a single one out of stand but we pig hunt there in the spring and get on them consistently on foot. It just takes a lot of boot leather because it is foot access only except for draw hunts

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #17
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Great info y’all. Please, anyone who has been to the area before keep the advice coming. A friend and I were drawn for the first hunt. We are pumped!
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #18
LeanMachine
Ten Point

I highly recommend dumping an entire bag of corn. Do not do so in a spot that you would not confidently hunt if corn wasnt there, but it will improve an already good spot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Its been a few years for me. The deer quality is nowhere near what it is at RC. I have always seen a bunch of does when Im out there but like said above....its old growth bottom land with very little habitat change so its hard to key in on a spot. Given a week ahead of time to scout and put out corn it could be a great hunt. The way they used to only give you 3 full days made it very tough to scout and hunt effectively. I think I saw deer every sit and could have killed several with a compound. Ditch crossings and the few thickets seem to be a good strategy for bowhunting there
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #20
drogers6771
Four Point

Yeah we went a couple weekends ago and the ground was dry and hard and had been for a couple moths. The only sign you could even find were droppings. The sloughs were mostly dried up and accessible from numerous locations and there are like 50 oak trees/acre so this hunt should be pretty interesting to say the least. Its just an endless expanse of flat hardwood bottom. See y'all Friday
Old 09-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #21
jnd1959
Eight Point

The WMA manager mentioned they could use some rain. Even said an inch or so wouldn't cause the gates to be closed to vehicles. Were the creeks dry as well?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #22
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

A few years back, another TBHr and myself were drawn for rifle hunt. Terrain is pretty similar through out wet hardwood bottoms w ditches sloughs and drains. We picked a compartment that had two open fields so we could hunt the funnel joining them. Found a few trails, threw a bag of corn w acorn rage out to 75yards beyond that its hard to see and shot a doe first hunt. Saw a few deer every hunt, my friend missed one but only 2 deer and some pigs taken the whole weekend. Good luck!
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #23
drogers6771
Four Point

Quote:
The WMA manager mentioned they could use some rain. Even said an inch or so wouldn't cause the gates to be closed to vehicles. Were the creeks dry as well?
Honestly man, the whole "road" after you get out of the first field to the east of the gate was black gumbo with cracks in it 10" deep. I would imagine that 1" of rain would make it impassable by any vehicle without 4x4 and aggressive tires.

There was water in the largest sloughs but it was stagnant. There were many dry crossings even on the largest sloughs
Old 09-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #24
30-30
Pope & Young

Who else is excited?

This is my first hunt using a climber (borrowed). I managed to make it up and down a tree for practice a couple times without killing myself...

Are there many compartments that are accessible with a 4wd truck? Don't have an atv.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #25
ABWGTX
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
Who else is excited?

This is my first hunt using a climber (borrowed). I managed to make it up and down a tree for practice a couple times without killing myself...

Are there many compartments that are accessible with a 4wd truck? Don't have an atv.
It will be the same as last year. There are NO compartments. There will be roughly 30 archery hunter "Free for All" on 4,000 acres (133 acres per hunter) so there is no reason to crowd, if you can see someone's stand you are too close, see someone's truck or you see corn or a camera you are too close. Mud shouldn't be an issue this year and a 2 wheel drive should work for 95% or more of BLB if you stay on the trails. See you at orientation!

Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-26-2019 at 01:12 PM.
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #26
drogers6771
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWGTX View Post
It will be the same as last year. There are NO compartments. There will be roughly 30 archery hunter "Free for All" on 4,000 acres (133 acres per hunter) so there is no reason to crowd, if you can see someone's stand you are too close, see someone's truck or you see corn or a camera you are too close. Mud shouldn't be an issue this year and a 2 wheel drive should work for 95% or more of BLB if you stay on the trails. See you at orientation!
Yeah they hardly got a sprinkle. 2wd might be iffy crossing some of the sloughs. They put rock in them but I would still be cautious.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #27
jnd1959
Eight Point

I'm heading that way in about 2 hours. Good luck to all.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #28
Buckcoufal
Nubbin' Buck

I was drawn for oct 29-31 hunt, elevated stand necessary or pop up ground blind sufficient?
Buckcoufal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #29
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckcoufal View Post
I was drawn for oct 29-31 hunt, elevated stand necessary or pop up ground blind sufficient?
You sure about those dates??
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #30
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
You could certainly use a pop up. Me personally, i would only hunt from a tree. To be fair, that os my approach on every place i hunt. Elevated is going to give you better visibility, most of the time, so you can see if deer are moving a little off from you and then you can adjust.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #31
Buckcoufal
Nubbin' Buck

Yep spike, antlerless permit
Buckcoufal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #32
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Yep spike, antlerless permit
Oh ok. I ddn't see where they did draw hunts for that.
For that place, I would use climber or lock on. A ground blind would work if you can find a spot that you can see out at least 100yds.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #33
30-30
Pope & Young

Any luck?
Old 10-01-2019, 12:40 AM   #34
jnd1959
Eight Point

Shot a hog yesterday morning. He went 60 yards before we saw blood. Eagle eye son tracked him. It was a good shot just through the thick shoulder. Took a while for blood to exit.

I would definitely use an elevated blind. We were 15 feet up and still couldn't see through the ragweed, which is about six feet in places. One thing we found while tracking Mr pig was a lot of bedding areas in the ragweed. It was hard to tell if these were deer or pig areas but many were single beds I bet were buck beds. They were just inside the weeds with prevailing wind to their back. Hogs were everywhere but they move mostly through the weeds alot. My son almost got run over by two.

For those that were out there and know, we lost our brakes and had to limp in to yesterday morning's hunt on emergency brakes. We were able to drive to Palestine and fixed them in the O'Reilly's parking lot and made it home ok. I was supposed go back today but will be back either Wednesday or Sunday..
Old 10-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #35
drogers6771
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
Any luck?
Negative. Only was able to hunt Saturday morn & eve and Sunday morn. Didn't see anything while in the blind, but did see 2 does on the way to the stand Saturday afternoon and two does on the way out Sunday morning. Twas hot hot hot, and I had a 7yr old sneezing-coughing-fidgeting fart machine with me in the ground blind, so perhaps wasnt the best recipe for success haha
Old 10-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #36
ABWGTX
Four Point

Glad you were able to get it fixed. I and my buddy will be back Friday but no motorhome, we'll rough it in a motel. Best of luck guys, C-YA then
Old 10-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #37
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWGTX View Post
Glad you were able to get it fixed. I and my buddy will be back Friday but no motorhome, we'll rough it in a motel. Best of luck guys, C-YA then
It was good to meet you. Fun times changing a caliper in the auto parts parking lot.

I'm hunting Wednesday morning then pulling out. I hear there may be some rain Friday but I don't know if that is just for the metromess or Palestine as well. Good luck. What I don't shoot I'll scare your way.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #38
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers6771 View Post
Negative. Only was able to hunt Saturday morn & eve and Sunday morn. Didn't see anything while in the blind, but did see 2 does on the way to the stand Saturday afternoon and two does on the way out Sunday morning. Twas hot hot hot, and I had a 7yr old sneezing-coughing-fidgeting fart machine with me in the ground blind, so perhaps wasnt the best recipe for success haha
My son and I were setting behind you at the orientation. A seven year old's concept of being quiet is quite different from an adults. Wait until he is 16 and yelling at you cause you aren't quiet enough.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #39
30-30
Pope & Young

It was great to meet you guys. I didnít realize some of you were TBHers.

Wish I had found my hog... but I had a great time regardless. BLB is a beautiful, target rich place.

Highly recommended, to anyone looking to apply in the future.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #40
30-30
Pope & Young

A few pics.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #41
ABWGTX
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogers6771 View Post
Only thing bad about midgets is they grow up too fast. Fun times Dad.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #42
jnd1959
Eight Point

Neat Pics. I always forget to take pictures.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #43
Tpemberton
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas, Utah, New Mexico, Montana

What is the camp ground like? Is there any shade?
Tpemberton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #44
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpemberton View Post
What is the camp ground like? Is there any shade?
It is essentially a parking lot. No bathrooms. No shade.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #45
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Ive been told camping at gus engling is worth the drive if you are hunting blb. That is if you dont want to camp ina gravel parking lot
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #46
jnd1959
Eight Point

We raised the tent. Slept on cots though. No shade but your only there a little while. Bathroom is at a convenience store on 645. About 2 miles from the site. They're **** about the bathrooms, want you to buy something. Not a problem as we were getting drinks anyway. It is convenient, being right at the gate. If you camp bring some shade.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #47
30-30
Pope & Young

^clean, too. I bought ice every morning.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #48
30-30
Pope & Young

No news?
Old 10-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #49
jnd1959
Eight Point

We didn't go back this weekend. High school bass tourney today. We'll settle for one hog. We enjoyed the trip. It's nice not having to look for trees big enough to set a stand.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #50
ABWGTX
Four Point

Hunted Fri afternoon & Sat morning. Total 1 doe & 3 hogs for all hunters as of yesterday at noon.