Iowa Barndo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    The place looks like it's coming along nicely . Amish are a hard working people. I lived in Ohio for 3.5 years. They were everywhere. Lotta interesting buildings, barns, and homes well over 100 years old. I lived in a farm house next to a centennial home on a farm while there. The 90 YOA something lady that lived in the 3 story house plus basement, it was her grandfather that built the house him self. Her son owned the IH dealership in the town near by. He had a ton of antique tractors he had been collecting in the barns on the place. Every one of them ran.

That corn field across the road from you is gonna help pull the deer in.
    Yes. John Henry, the Amish foreman won't accept an 1/8" off. They are fast too. They don't want to be in the pictures. My two neighbors have lived on and farmed their ground for the last 50-60 years. Their parents did the same before them. It is amazing how they have accepted the "Texans". When you have only known your neighbor for minutes and he says "You can hunt my ground". It makes you feel pretty good. Here is a picture of my neighbor's mother's barn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
      Awesome! Glad to see an alternative to burying wood posts through concrete into the groUnd. That’s the main reason We have only built metal frame buildings in the past.
      Most post frame buildings in the Midwest use treated posts buried 4'-5' (below frost line) in an 18" pier hole and backfilled with either the native soil pier spoils or crushed stone. The Perma Columns have started to get popular. Morton is using them on all their buildings unless the customer does not want them. Morton has their own proprietary columns. Our building is not a Morton Building but we chose to use Perma Columns by Midwest Perma Column. We did not use Perma Columns on our porch support posts since I can get to those if they ever fail. I don't think that will ever happen in my lifetime plus it saved us $$$.

Comment

sweet progress, my parents travel the midwest buying primitive antiques at auctions and from a few amish dealer friends they have made...they told me about not taking pictures of them. My wife has a few thousand pics of my 3 year old lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
          We are getting some barn wood for interior finishes from this 110 year old Iowa barn that the owner is tearing down.
          [ATTACH]914150[/ATTACH]
          Oh that barn wood is sweet. I did a wall in my house with the same color wood. Salvaged from my grandmas farm in southeast Arlington...city made us take it down due to it falling apart. It was probably not even a third of this ones size though.

Comment

Here are some progress pictures from our barndominium home/ag shop/archery shop project in Southeast Iowa. The Amish framing crew are awesome barn builders. Also, thank you W-3 Construction for coordinating and supervising our project. Hopefully we will be moved in before the snow flies.[emoji4]

Comment

Lookin good!

Comment

Originally posted by bow5 View Post
                Lookin good!
                Thanks !!! We are getting there.

Comment

Coming right along!!!

Comment

Sweet Mike! So happy for you guys!

Comment

Those guys are making some ground. Great looking progress.

Rwc

Comment

Very cool. Looking great!

Comment

Looking great! Makes me want that at our Oklahoma ranch.

Comment

Awesome! You talked about permacolumns. there is a guy on instagram/youtube RR Building that I follow. makes me wish I built my shop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Sweet Mike! So happy for you guys!
                              Thanks Mark! Kinda strange building a wood frame building after building with red iron and metal studs for the last 30 years. When in Iowa do as the Iowans do. Also strange not seeing any Hispanic workers. They are pretty much non existent in the construction industry in Iowa. The Amish post frame erection crews are pretty awesome though.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                                Awesome! You talked about permacolumns. there is a guy on instagram/youtube RR Building that I follow. makes me wish I built my shop!
                                The Perma Columns by Midwest Perma Columns are the way to go in my opinion for post frame buildings. Morton is using them for all their buildings unless the customer request that the posts be direct buried. With this being said most post frame builders in the Midwest prefer to direct bury the wood columns. Some use the native soil pier spoils for back fill. Others use crushed stone for back fill. We used Perma Columns on all posts within the building footprint. We direct buried with crushed stone back fill the porch and RV open bay storage area.

Comment

Working...
                                X