Lost a buck this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost a buck this morning

I wanted to see what y’all think I should do here. I shot a buck this morning at 20 yards. The arrow zipped through and I thought it looked like a good shot but maybe a touch forward. After the shot he bolted like nothing was wrong with him and I never saw him slow down at all. I thought I heard him coughing about 80 yards into his run.

I got down after 30 minutes, got the arrow and thought it looked good as well. Started to blood trail him but couldn’t find blood for about 60-80 yards. The first blood I found was light, clear and bubbly. As we continued the blood turned dark red with no bubbles. We tracked it for about 100 yards until the trail got lighter and stopped. We grid searched the area where the blood trail ended and never found any more blood. From the shot to last blood was about 200 yards. We never found a spot where he stopped and the blood was just drops every so often.

I had my phone set up to record but he came in so fast I didn’t punch record, wishing I’d taken the time to punch record right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert so take this for what it is but I would guess you got too far forward in the shoulder, effectively making it a muscle wound.

Comment

If you had pink frothy blood you probably got part of a lung. That would explain the coughing. Deer have survived with one lung punctured, yours may or may not.

Comment

The blood was only pink at the first spot I found it, after that it was a darker red with no bubbles. I’m starting to think it was too far forward and it was a flesh wound.

Comment

Why not call a dog? Arrow does not look horrible. Also there will always be some darker blood. Arrow gotto go through musscles to get to the good stuff.

Comment

I thought about it. We tromped the area up pretty good looking so I didn’t know if the dog would have a good trail

Comment

Good dog will find it if there’s something to find.

Comment

Dog should have no prob. A good one that is.

Comment

If you can get a dog I would

Comment

I just talked to a blood tracker and he said that it has been too long since the shot and with the description he said it is a hard deer to track.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick View Post
                      I just talked to a blood tracker and he said that it has been too long since the shot and with the description he said it is a hard deer to track.

Try some more trackers, the one you talked to is full of bs

Comment

Originally posted by Slick View Post

I’d scratch that dude off the tracking list.

Comment

Lost a buck this morning

I had a similar occurrence two years ago. I tagged every drop of blood I found with a piece of toilet paper pinned to the ground.
                          I didn’t realize how off the track I’d gone after 100 yards of searching. Stood back and looked at the paper and it made a straight line.
                          I made of visual of a straight line continuing in line with the toilet paper. It led to a trail and found him 250 yards at the end of that line on that trail.
                          Good luck! I hope you find him. I know the feelings.

Comment

I talked to a second guy that didn’t think it would be worth getting a dog out. I think it may have more to do with the amount of looking we did than anything. At this point I hope he is still alive.

I’m going to sit at a rifle stand the direction he ran this evening and hope he comes out there.

Comment

I made a track with my onX and he was moving down the creek I was hunting towards an open wheat field. He dropped off the creek bank and I lost the track in the bottom of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X