Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS
Default Truck damaged at dealership

OK Gents, I need some advice.
I won’t name the dealership YET!!! Because after going up the chain of command, they said they will repair it.
Went in for an oil change and when my truck was ready, I noticed two large red paint stains in the driver door, when I looked closer it was dented and two areas where the paint was chipped, I ran back and got the service guy and showed it to him. He told me to pull around the front, when I examined the truck to find ANOTHER SCRATCH (long dent) like it was rubbed against something on the rear passenger side of the bed as well....
At this point I’m losing my MFing mind....
The service manager comes and says they will take care of it, then shortly after speaking to the service guy, he comes back and says they’ll fix the door, but NOT the scratch in the back because it was there before !!!!! ***!!! I tried to keem my calm, but I did drop a couple of F bombs.....

I asked for his manager, who was an older, nicer gentleman and after he listened to both of us and me tell him the truck is my baby and I barely drive it and take great care of it, he said he’ll take care of both dents and smiles!!!!
I was very upset up to this point and asked him to put it in writing and he did....

So, at this point, my only concern is they may not do a good job because it’s a free and caused by them and just do a sloppy job where the damage will show or the paint not match, etc.

My question is,
what do I need to do between now and when I drop off the truck on Monday and what should I tell them to ensure they return it back to me like it was before?!!
This is going to ruin my weekend, all I can think of is them not repair the dents and chips properly and I’ll be stuck with a half*****ed job.

Last edited by ATI; 07-12-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Misc
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Tell them if it is not fixed to your satisfaction, your lawyer will be next in contacting them, even if you do not have one. threaten until they do it right. Go up the chain of command until you reach corporate before you get a lawyer.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I would want an independent shop to perform repairs. Chances are high you’ll get subpar work from them.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I would have left it there and drove off in a loaner, it would be at the repair shop of my choice and my insurance company would be involved. That should be a good start.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

First off...don't let it steal anymore of your joy. Had that happen to my ZL1 when I took it if for the free oil change. The car is very specific & must hit the lift points with pin point accuracy & they separated the side skirts by improper location. After this deal, I skipped the next free oil change & did it myself at my preferred mechanics shop since he had a drive on lift. I'm done using the dealership for preventive maintenance & trust my mechanic. The mistake was so rookie & although it happens, i suspect the tech was likely reprimanded severely & even fired. Their body shop is fantastic & fixed it like new. Since it's a truck & not going to have extremely intrinsic long term value, I wouldn't worry about diminished value for the repairs needed but a few others may not agree.

Most of those scratches / dents can be fixed to where you will not be able to tell if they have a quality body shop. If it eases your concern, go talk to the GM & give your expectations. I specifically asked for their best guy. This is a topic that comes up often on car forums. If you plan to use the same dealer in the future Most say to wash the car beforehand & do a walk around so both parties know the condition before the work begins. Look, it's Pretty easy to say that damage was already there & most dealers bail on helping in your situation, so I would be happy they are taking the blame & sounds like you have a solid dealer.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Mule Skinner
Four Point

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

Ouch! I’m sorry to hear about the dealer’s damage to your truck.

My recommendation is that, if you are able, perform your own oil changes. It’s pretty simple and does not take too much time. Plus, doing the work yourself ensures that it is being done correctly. With no chance for other issues.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

That sucks. I would give them a chance to make it right. If it's not done to your satisfaction then lawyer up
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
Jon B
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Hope they make it right....we had a ham fisted lube tech reach into our car while it was on a lift. Huge black grease stains on the tan seat. The manager tried the "it was already there bit". I asked him how they got the tires off with the wheel locks on it. (Wheel lock was in glovebox) It was at that point that bubba the mechanic admitted to opening the passenger door and putting his hand down on the seat. We got all the seats cleaned for free. But I wanted to pull a burnadell on both of em!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
eradicator
Pope & Young

Get it repaired. Send invoice to said dealership.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

I hate to go the road of a lawyer but you may have to try that.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Had this happen to my wifeís previous car. One of the techs had something metal in his pocket and as he was exiting the driver seat gouged a 6-8Ē gash in the leather wrapped steering wheel.

After a brief chat with the service manager and me telling him I didnít care if he had to drive to the North Pole to find a steering wheel to replace it, he obliged and they repaired it properly. While I understand paint and body are two totally different things than replacing a steering wheel, they replaced it right because they didnít want their name smeared. And with todayís social media it would be nothing to spread photographic evidence of their intentional sub-par work.

Now with that being said and they do a crap job, they deserve everything they will get for that kinda work.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
redleif
Four Point

I took my truck in for service recently and noticed the service manager taking pics of the outside of my truck. I guess I know why now.
redleif is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Let them fix it. Chances are they are just going to run it through their body shop like any other repair. I doubt they go to their body man and tell them to do a half *** job on your truck. It’s not a conspiracy. Been there done that.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
Secrest
Four Point

Hunt In: Bronte & Mt. Joy,Tx

If it’s a reputable shop , give them a chance to make it right... You obviously trusted them enough to change your oil. I work in the automotive industry and see this stuff all the time. Things happen and then sometimes things don’t happen and people are looking for something for free. Vehicles are big investments and people are very particular. Keep calm and if they are willing to work with you then I’m sure they will correct it. If it isn’t up to your standards then let them know. Just move up the management chain. No need to lawyer up .... in my opinion
Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #15
Ryanm
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

They will fix it like any other repair they have in the shop because there is going to be a warranty that goes along with the work. If they already have to fix it once, chances are they don't want to fix it a second time. I'm sure this is very frustrating but it sounds like they are going to take care of you.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #16
Redbone
Four Point

Hunt In: TX & MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
Let them fix it. Chances are they are just going to run it through their body shop like any other repair. I doubt they go to their body man and tell them to do a half *** job on your truck. Itís not a conspiracy. Been there done that.
This ^^^. I worked in a bodyshop for a dealership for 12 years. It will be repaired just like any other job in the shop. If it's a reputable dealer you should have nothing to worry about. Drop it off and get in a rental. Pick it up when it's done.
Redbone is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #17
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Crazy how worked up folks can get over their possessions. Let them make it right. Take some blood pressure medicine. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #18
deerplanter
Ten Point

They don't want bad publicity so it'll be repaired like any ost truck there.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #19
Toolman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I'm a shop foreman at a Ford Dealer. When this happens we take care of it! Period! No Questions asked! That's why we carry insurance! It should be fixed to factory!
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #20
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
I'm a shop foreman at a Ford Dealer. When this happens we take care of it! Period! No Questions asked! That's why we carry insurance! It should be fixed to factory!

Would you happen to be at Gene Messer?

chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #21
MasterOfNothing
Six Point

Hunt In: Starr county

I hope everything gets figured out OP.
MasterOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 01:21 AM   #22
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Crazy how worked up folks can get over their possessions. Let them make it right. Take some blood pressure medicine. Lol

Yep. 1st world problems. I bought a new Honda Accord Touring for my DD to keep the miles off my diesel in March. Pulled up in the yard 15min after I left dealership and my lab pup jumped up on the door. Scratched the shiznit out of it. They all gonna get scratched. Get the first one out of the way and youíll sleep easier.

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #23
pervis
Ten Point

You should read the thread where I took my wife's Escalade to the dealership for service. They broke her windshield and dashboard, tried to fix it thinking I wouldn't notice. Yeah totally not awesome.
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 05:40 AM   #24
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
OK Gents, I need some advice.
I wonít name the dealership YET!!! Because after going up the chain of command, they said they will repair it.
Went in for an oil change and when my truck was ready, I noticed two large red paint stains in the driver door, when I looked closer it was dented and two areas where the paint was chipped, I ran back and got the service guy and showed it to him. He told me to pull around the front, when I examined the truck to find ANOTHER SCRATCH (long dent) like it was rubbed against something on the rear passenger side of the bed as well....
At this point Iím losing my MFing mind....
The service manager comes and says they will take care of it, then shortly after speaking to the service guy, he comes back and says theyíll fix the door, but NOT the scratch in the back because it was there before !!!!! ***!!! I tried to keem my calm, but I did drop a couple of F bombs.....

I asked for his manager, who was an older, nicer gentleman and after he listened to both of us and me tell him the truck is my baby and I barely drive it and take great care of it, he said heíll take care of both dents and smiles!!!!
I was very upset up to this point and asked him to put it in writing and he did....

So, at this point, my only concern is they may not do a good job because itís a free and caused by them and just do a sloppy job where the damage will show or the paint not match, etc.

My question is,
what do I need to do between now and when I drop off the truck on Monday and what should I tell them to ensure they return it back to me like it was before?!!
This is going to ruin my weekend, all I can think of is them not repair the dents and chips properly and Iíll be stuck with a half*****ed job.
If its a dealership like Ford, chevy, dodge, etc..... they should have no problem fixing it right. I would save my stress and worry for after the fact.
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #25
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

What kinda truck was it?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #26
67olds442
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Give them a chance to make it right and go from there. If he has already admitted fault I'm doubting you will leave less than satisfied.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #27
Toolman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkinlead View Post
Would you happen to be at Gene Messer?

Pollard Ford
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #28
ATI
Ten Point

Dropped off the truck this morning,,,, they'll have it for the whole week...

He said they send their work to "Herb's Paint and Body" but didn't specify which location,,,, I'm assuming Plano!!!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #29
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Dropped off the truck this morning,,,, they'll have it for the whole week...

He said they send their work to "Herb's Paint and Body" but didn't specify which location,,,, I'm assuming Plano!!!
Or Allen. Good luck to ya. The Herb's in Allen fixed some front end damage on one of our cars. They did a good job.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #30
TxSon1836
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma- Public

terrible that happened also terrible you have to fight so much for them to fix their own mistake. hope all works out
TxSon1836 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #31
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

dealerships used to have their own paint/body shops ... guess they're contracting out now too. (Herb's)
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
ATI
Ten Point

They gave me a rental car for a week, but I'm going to return it today and drive my little Honda Civic.... I don't want anything to happen to their rental car while I have it and I be liable for it.

It hurts when you baby your truck and then some dumbarse airhead at the dealership puts not one, but two dents on it....

I just hope the dents are fixed like the truck was before and not noticeable, I'll change my own oil from now on, thank you!!!
Old 07-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #33
duckmanep
Pope & Young

stuff happens. while they should have owned up to it before you caught it, it sounds like they will make it right. no reason to believe they won't fix it.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #34
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
They gave me a rental car for a week, but I'm going to return it today and drive my little Honda Civic.... I don't want anything to happen to their rental car while I have it and I be liable for it.

It hurts when you baby your truck and then some dumbarse airhead at the dealership puts not one, but two dents on it....

I just hope the dents are fixed like the truck was before and not noticeable, I'll change my own oil from now on, thank you!!!
This is where the phrase "S%6& happens" fits perfectly. Hurts? I am going out on a limb here and say that no matter how perfect the job they do is, you'll "be able to tell". No offense, but you act like somebody stabbed your grandma. I guess everything is relative.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #35
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
This is where the phrase "S%6& happens" fits perfectly. Hurts? I am going out on a limb here and say that no matter how perfect the job they do is, you'll "be able to tell". No offense, but you act like somebody stabbed your grandma. I guess everything is relative.
Thank you for your time to reply and judgement.....
Are you saying if you took your new truck in for a simple oil change and they put two dents in it, you'll just say "$&@! happens" and move on??? I seriously doubt it...
Anyone who works hard and buys nice things and sees them get damaged due to someone's negligence would get upset,,,,
now if you're a high-roller and every time something you own gets damaged due someone else's negligence you say "$h!t happens" and move on, that's a different story....

Last edited by ATI; 07-16-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #36
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Hunt In: Cypress, TX/Weimar, TX

This happened to me at Parkway Chevrolet in tomball/Houston area. I took my brand new truck days after I bought it too have some final "touch ups" done. I waited in the lobby during the service. Received it back with two brand new scratches. The sales manager and my sales guy laughed at me from the behind the glass wall. Then came out and told me the scratches were already there. Asked if I had pictures from the moment they took keys to prove it. Long story short I ended up with a scratched, brand new truck.

My only defense is to get the word out to stay away from Parkway Chevrolet. It makes me feel good to know I've steered 3 definite clients away from them. Not mention the other people the Ive spread to the word to.

Sorry, rant over. I never miss a chance to spread my crappy experience at Parkway.
JoseyWales82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #37
ATI
Ten Point

I'm ok with "scratches" I'm NOT ok with dents, and chipped paint.

It amuses me that some people call me out for being upset over the dealer denting, scratching and chipping paint off my truck. I guarantee you these heroes would be just as upset if it happened to them....

Regardless, the truck is in the shop and I hope it comes back properly repaired so I can put this behind me.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #38
SaintBlaise
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

They only way to match the paint is to paint the whole truck.

I'll bet you, that they have cameras everywhere in that service area for insurance purposes. On film, you will see how your truck was mishandled. You attorney would be able to sue for the film.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #39
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

They can match paint without painting the whole truck if you bring it to somebody reputable.
it really is not that hard to match paint.
Even Maaco did an excellent job matching my paint. I can’t even tell they repainted other than the lack of clear coat failure.
KyleW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #40
fordsuper08
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo , East Texas

a good shop can match the paint without having to repaint the entire truck we do it everyday
fordsuper08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #41
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm ok with "scratches" I'm NOT ok with dents, and chipped paint.

It amuses me that some people call me out for being upset over the dealer denting, scratching and chipping paint off my truck. I guarantee you these heroes would be just as upset if it happened to them....

Regardless, the truck is in the shop and I hope it comes back properly repaired so I can put this behind me.
Same responses I got when a valet hit a pole with mine. $2000 in damages. Paint was missing. Creased the bumper. Scratched the crap out of a custom rim. Don Hewlet fixed it like new and the hotel paid for it. Screw em. If the tables were turned theyíd act different. Hope it ends up like new for you
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #42
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Thank you for your time to reply and judgement.....
Are you saying if you took your new truck in for a simple oil change and they put two dents in it, you'll just say "$&@! happens" and move on??? I seriously doubt it...
Anyone who works hard and buys nice things and sees them get damaged due to someone's negligence would get upset,,,,
now if you're a high-roller and every time something you own gets damaged due someone else's negligence you say "$h!t happens" and move on, that's a different story....
No judgement here. I wouldn't move on, they'd repair it. Anybody who knows me knows this and I wouldn't get too bent about it. If they wanted to balk, that's fine too, would just go a different rough. I am laughing my *** off at high roller... and anyone who knows me probably is too. I used to act like an *** about things like that, when I was younger, not anymore. I have nice things, but trust me, no high rolling here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I apologize if I came off like an azz (which I'm thinking I did).
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #43
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
No judgement here. I wouldn't move on, they'd repair it. Anybody who knows me knows this and I wouldn't get too bent about it. If they wanted to balk, that's fine too, would just go a different rough. I am laughing my *** off at high roller... and anyone who knows me probably is too. I used to act like an *** about things like that, when I was younger, not anymore. I have nice things, but trust me, no high rolling here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I apologize if I came off like an azz (which I'm thinking I did).
I responded to your PM but your mailbox is full... You didn't hurt my feeling and I appreciate you being a man and apologizing. It's all good. Thank you sir.