Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Hunting bow question

I've been looking to buy my first bow for quite a while now and as such spend time on the classifieds here and on another archery site. One interesting thing I've noticed, especially on the other site where bows get listed almost constantly is that a lot of the bows are 50-60# bows. Is it common to hunt with a 50-60# bow? I had just assumed that most people were hunting with a 70# bow.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Most hunt with 50-60
70 is not necessary for whitetail deer.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I personally shoot a 70lb bow because I also hunt bigger game from time to time and want a bow that will fit all my hunting needs.

My daughter shoots a 45lb bow and gets complete pass through shots on deer.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cooke

It depends on what your hunting. I would say the VAST majority of people on here intend on solely hunting wt 50# with a sharp broadhead will be plenty. I've shot 53# for years and have zero intention of increasing that, unless I go after bigger, thicker skinned game. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

I’m not so sure anything heavier is needed at all, especially in North America.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

these new bows of today are so efficient and so fast at 50-60# is that you don't need a 70# bow for whitetail or even hogs, my obsession compound is 57#, 29'' DL, 420 grain arrow and its getting roughly 283 fps and ive gotten two pass throughs on 200 pound hogs this summer
ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Z7X
Ten Point

Hunt In: Moving to Kansas so hopefully there

Go to bow shop, shoot bows, find the one that fits you and sling some arrows my friend. Donít get caught up in the weight and stuff. Go find the one you like. If youíre in DFW area I highly recommend going to cinnamon creek. Great guys there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Z7X is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Reaper87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

If you can comfortably and accurately shoot 70lbs shoot it. It’s not necessary but having a little more juice helps if you hit big bone. Nobody ever lost an animal because of too much penetration
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

I think there's a natural progression with archers; they start out(myself included) overbowed, and drawing too much weight(65-80lbs). Then, for their subsequent bows, they scale it back to 50-60 lb bows for easier drawing, and less holding weight. 50-60 lb bows should be plenty powerful. Don't catch the "Speed bug", slow and heavy arrows are proficient for killing Texas critters.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
I think there's a natural progression with archers; they start out(myself included) overbowed, and drawing too much weight(65-80lbs). Then, for their subsequent bows, they scale it back to 50-60 lb bows for easier drawing, and less holding weight. 50-60 lb bows should be plenty powerful. Don't catch the "Speed bug", slow and heavy arrows are proficient for killing Texas critters.
same here, i started out with a hoyt rampage xt, 70-80# limbs, and it was set on 78# lol..it was fast but **** i was shaky with it and im pretty sure i damaged my rotator cuff with it
ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

A bow will perform it's best at what limbs it comes with maxed out. In other words 60# bow will be best with 60# limbs. 60# setup on 70# limbs the bow won't perform it's greatest.

60#s is more than plenty for hunting. I know a guy that shoots 52# and kills deer every year. I personally have a 70# setup and want to lower it to 65#. Far more easier to pull back on colder mornings. If I decide to go less than 65# then I will buy 60# limbs and Max them out.

Find the bow you like and I'd suggest 60# max for your first setup. Upgrade later if you want a heavier poundage setup.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Great info, thanks everyone. I do plan on hunting elk with my bow so I know that makes a difference.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

I'm shooting a 60-70 lb bow turned down to 60 and have had pass throughs on my deer taken. I haven't noticed any issues or accuracy problems with it being turned down from max. Next year I'll be looking for a 50-60lb bow, but down here in the valley, there's not many places to shoot different brands.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #14
Passafist
Six Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Bear Archery makes really good entry level bows and a lot of them have a huge range of weight adjustments and draw lengths that do not require a bow press
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I have never hunted with a draw weight above 63 lbs, and that was only because that was as low as the bow would go that I had to buy when my pull rope broke and bow landed on a rock ledge and broke a limb. Middle of bow season and not gonna wait 3 weeks for new limbs. My dealer had a used Hoyt on the wall that was Left Handed---which is often a problem--so I shot it couple of years. Now I have two identical Elite Hunters, so I always have my backup if needed.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #16
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

I think it’s what you like or what your shoulders like. I have 7 bows hanging in my closet right now, on some days I shoot my Full Throttle with now problems, shoulder doesn’t bother me or anything. On other days my when my shoulder is bothering me I shoot my 60# DNA. I absolutely love my Full Throttle it’s very fast & shoots great but some days I think it’s a lot of over kill for what we hunt around here, so here lately I’ve been contemplating on getting a 50# max bow. With a sharp broad head & good tunes bow 50# would be no problem for what we hunt.
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #17
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

my mathews z7 is set in the 50's. i seriously doubt i could even pull 70#, let alone hold it for any period of length.
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #18
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Most folks are way overbowed because it's just the manly thing to do but 50-60#, a good shot, a well tuned arrow and a sharp broadhead will kill just about anything you would want to shoot at with a bow.

Dudes are blowing through elk with 50# stickbows, any compound is going to blow that way out of the water so don't worry about proving your manliness.

Go to the local shop and tell them you are in the market and try a bunch of different bows, a good shop will be more than willing to help you out.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #19
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

So many guys get hung up on weight and speed. A well tuned bow in the 50# to 60# range with a good broadhead, will do the job. Any good shop is going to tell you to start lower, get your fundamentals, and then if you feel the need, up the weight. It doesn't matter if you can pull 100# if you're the guy aiming at the ceiling to draw back and can't hit the target at 20 yards.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #20
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Like everyone is saying start out low and get your fundamentals down first.. I'd suggest buying used to do this. I shoot 70 lbs most of the time. I can draw more but it's harder to shoot consistently out to longer ranges.. I'm shooting 29.5 inch draw and a 490 grain arrow in the 280s.. that gives me enough pin gap that I can make out the different pins in low light.. I could get by with less draw weight but I can easily shoot where I am today ..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #21
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

I believe mine is at 62 lbs right now, plenty for me and comfy to shoot. First-hand experience that it goes right through large pigs.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #22
Bish
Ten Point

50-60 pound bows will kill anything, shot placement is the key!!

God Bless
Bish
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

No point in going above 60lbs, especially for whitetail, your shoulders will thank you. I shot my zebra through both shoulders set at 60lbs, not a complete pass through but 12" of arrow sticking out the off side.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #24
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

60 is plenty. Blew through my zebra with a rage quartering away and never found the arrow. I only shoot 70 now cause I can and I’m shooting a heck of a lot heavier arrow now. My dad kills deer and pigs at 60 lbs with pass throughs every year with whatever rage he grabs, with 380 gr arrows
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #25
Laner7
Eight Point

I have a hoyt for sale if you'd be interested.
60 to 70lbs.
Laner7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #26
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

The saying I see a lot on this site is: how far do you need the arrow to bury in the ground after it has passed through a whitetail deer.
I moved to a 60# when my shoulders hurt too bad. Now I am trying to heal after back surgery so I can pull that.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Go shoot lots of bows. Like many have said, you don't have to shoot a heavy bow to kill deer. My wife shoots 42 pounds and has killed every deer she has shot. Lots of opinions on poundage on these forums. I always enjoy reading them. Go to a good bow shop and just start shooting bows. You'll figure out what is right for you pretty quick.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #28
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

61lb hoyt blew through a bull elk at 20 yards. Killed tons of critters with it. No need for 70lb unless of course you are really strong and can pull 70lbs super easy.
Krivoman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #29
beefiedoubleoh
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Hag

I have no idea idea what # I'm pulling. I bought it & paid for fitting/setup all at once several years ago & haven't thought about it since. Truly have no idea.
beefiedoubleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #30
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Some of those that have pulled 70# for years now find their shoulders shot, that’s one reason, and I’m one of them. I had to drop poundage ten years ago and I can’t say it did anything but help.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #31
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Itís funny sure seems like 70lb bows sale a lot faster then the 50 to 60 lb bows .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #32
Huntingfool
Six Point

I was a serious bow hunter 20 plus years ago. Had a Hoyt with 70-80 lbs. NO LET OFF. So you could hold it for maybe 15 seconds and then you had to let it down. On top of that the broadheads were huge and the arrows were also very long, heavy, and long.

Going for elk in September in Montana so I went and bought a new bow and started the process all over. I used a finger pad back in the day so the biggest adjustment so far is learning how to use a release. Anyway the bow shop pros told me that 50 lbs is plenty for an elk. So I am now in process of relearning how to shoot - but let me tell you this - let off is a blessing! So much easier than in the old days
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top