Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default New Year Workout Accountability 2019....

Ok guys and gals, I've got it started for 2019. If you haven't done it already, its time to make those fitness goals for 2019 and start working to make them happen. I've not made it in tho the gym this week due to the holiday, but I'll start back tomorrow.

My goal is to reach 235 lbs and 10% BF. Get my left hip back to 100%. Get my one rep max bench back to 300.

Let's hear yall's goals!
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

235 and 10% wow! I wish you well.

Mine is for six pack abs this year.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHunter View Post
235 and 10% wow! I wish you well.

Mine is for six pack abs this year.

LOl! I know! I'm at 230 now, and about 18% (guessing). It's gonna be a difficult challenge, but everyone needs a goal, right?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

My goal is to stay healthy and get back to my fighting weight. Stepped on the scale this morning and Im the heaviest I have been in probably ten years or so. The scale read 204 and I like to be around 185-188. Ive got some work to do.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
roughneck266
Six Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

My original goal last year was simply to lose weight. I have lost a bit, down to 273. Started at 311. I originally thought I would wait until I got into the 260's somewhere to kind of protect my knees and back, but I seem like I am stuck here, so I will be starting a regimen either tonight or tomorrow.
roughneck266 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

My goals is to get back to where I was 5 years ago. Shift work, new baby, a divorce, remarried, torn ACL, and torn bicep tendon all contributed to me falling off the wagon. I haven't been able to get back on but I am determined to do that this year.

165 and 8 to 10 percent body fat is my goal

Current - 185 and 18 percent, maybe 20 percent bf
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Well, I went from 301 (heaviest I've ever been) to 220 since last summer and luckily did it without having to go to the gym. Actually, I did step foot in the gym last year (to cancel my membership because it wasn't getting used). I may pick it back up now that I actually have the energy and a good weight that I can accomplish something in the gym.
If anyone wants to join me on my health journey, let me know and I can get you connected to my Health Coach (my wife). She coaches several different programs and can find the right one for you based on what you want to accomplish.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
kaizen
Eight Point

Number 1 goal is to stop giving in to peer pressure to eat, drink and be merry. I've done well in the gym and I'm stronger than ever but weight and % fat is higher than I want. On my own, I have no trouble sticking to a diet. New GF and her group of friends make it tough. Everything is a happy hour, cocktail event or queso flooded carb fest. Gonna be tough. Focusing on staying off booze, vastly reducing carbs, and keep hitting the gym. Pushing for 180 lb. Right now at about 202 lbs.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #9
TexasBob
Pope & Young

What's the best way to find fat %? I think that's where I want to focus this year. Been a downhill slide since the kiddo was born two years ago. I'm about 185, I have seen 155 and stayed 160-165 for a couple years before she was born. Still down from a 215-220 heaviest which is rough on my frame of maybe 5'8". Been a steady diet of bad food and miller lite the last few months. Blood pressure is high, which is the real motivator.
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

If anyone wants to give TrainerRoad a try for cycling I have 2 separate 1 month Free trials . Just let me know you want it and PM me your email address and I will shoot you the link.

Good luck to everyone that is trying to actively change your life and health!
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Some gyms/fitness centers will use calipers to measure up to 7 spots on you to determine BF. Some places use the electronic handheld devices that will give you a percentage as well. My experience was the electronic ones would consistently show BF to be 2-5% higher than calipers.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #12
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

Rode the bike 10 miles on the trainer yesterday and ran 2 miles last night.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I’m 6’2 and 205, I would like to trim 10 and stay in permant “mountain shape”. Last week I cranked up my regiment and changed my diet. Here we go..
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

I want to lose the rest of my belly. I've lost 60 pounds and i figure I need to lose around 40 more pounds and be able to go shirtless on the cruise I'm planning in june. Me and the wife are down a combined 120 pounds. Cant wait to see what we look like this time next year.

Started back yesterday after a short break. I was actually stronger and in better shape after my break. I'm sore AF though. Good luck to everyone this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
My goal is to stay healthy and get back to my fighting weight. Stepped on the scale this morning and Im the heaviest I have been in probably ten years or so. The scale read 204 and I like to be around 185-188. Ive got some work to do.
You had the EXACT same experience I had this morning.. Pound for pound exactly the same. Looking forward to knocking off a few lbs and trying to get around that 180 mark.
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

OK, I need to do this.

Will get on a scale tomorrow morning, but last weigh in was 295 after Christmas.

Goal weight 185.

Setting a goal of 2 pounds per week.

Started exercising yesterday in the cold and wind. Not fun.

Working on a monthly meal plan and will probably follow Southbeach phase II. If I do this right, I should hit my target weight by the end of August.

The biggest thing I know I have to do is eliminate all forms of alcohol and fast food.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #17
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Some gyms/fitness centers will use calipers to measure up to 7 spots on you to determine BF. Some places use the electronic handheld devices that will give you a percentage as well. My experience was the electronic ones would consistently show BF to be 2-5% higher than calipers.
Well no wonder I felt great but didnt like the number on the scale in the past. I would exercise and eat perfect for months on end and never get below 17-18% BF on their electronic scale. Funny is that yesterday I decided I wasnt going to chase the BF number this year but go by the mirror and how my clothes fit. I noticed in the past if I weighed on their scale after I worked out instead of before, it would show a BF% about 2% less. Not sure what that was about.

Today was legs, cardio and stretching. Felt a tweak on my right side at the beginning of my ab workout so I aborted it, first time that has ever happened. Hopefully it was nothing. 1hr 45 minutes total time.

Last edited by rtp; 01-02-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Today was 25 minutes on the stepmill at 68 SPM pace. Then it was chest and abs. I don't really have any goals other than to just maintain my current body composition. Im 5'11" and 220 pounds. Around 8% bodyfat. 32" waist and 49.5" chest as of two days ago. Im comfortable here and can maintain this pretty much all year. My weight can fluctuate from 216 to 222 depending on my water balance at the time.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #19
Geoff995
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

Quote:
Well no wonder I felt great but didnt like the number on the scale in the past. I would exercise and eat perfect for months on end and never get below 17-18% BF on their electronic scale. Funny is that yesterday I decided I wasnt going to chase the BF number this year but go by the mirror and how my clothes fit. I noticed in the past if I weighed on their scale after I worked out instead of before, it would show a BF% about 2% less. Not sure what that was about.

Today was legs, cardio and stretching. Felt a tweak on my right side at the beginning of my ab workout so I aborted it, first time that has ever happened. Hopefully it was nothing. 1hr 45 minutes total time.
Those electronic bf% scales are highly dependant on your hydration level. You can make one read 2% higher just by drinking a few glasses of water. Same can be said for making one read lower by being a little dehydrated.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #20
SabreKiller
Ten Point

First workout of the new year done. Chest and back.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #21
SharpStix
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I've been back in the gym since July '17 and am down about 30 pounds and 3 pant sizes so far. Plan to keep going, not sure about incorporating a diet or not. My motivation is to simply be more physically fit, to be able to go on a rigorous elk/mountain goat/caribou/moose/whatever hunt out west. I feel like my hunting has already reaped the benefits of my workouts.
SharpStix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Chest and cardio early this am

Gained weight since moving to Houston and changing jobs in July. Shame because I was doing great last year until then.

Goal is to drop about 35 pounds and run a marathon at the end of the year.

Also with traveling for work so much there’s learning to travel and stay healthy!

Good luck everyone.
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #23
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

To figure Body Mass Index take your height in inches and multiply it by your height in inches. In my case 68x68= 4624. Then divide your weight by that number. For me that is 179 divided by 4624= 0.04 then multiply by 703. In my case that comes to 28.12. This is close to my body fat percentage because I have not been working out. Once you have been working out 3-4 months then this method is not as accurate as you may be near your same weight but have converted some fat to muscle which weighs more than fat. A male with a body fat percentage between 14%-17% is considered fit. I would like to hit 20% I am kinda like TexasBob too many Miler Lites.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #24
coldgas
Ten Point

Shoulders
Hiit

Old 01-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #25
rtp
Pope & Young

7 days in a row, so Im taking today off as my body needs it. Back at it tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #26
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

Another 10 miles on the bike trainer last night. I'll do another 10 tonight and try and run 2 miles if the weather lets me.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #27
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
To figure Body Mass Index take your height in inches and multiply it by your height in inches. In my case 68x68= 4624. Then divide your weight by that number. For me that is 179 divided by 4624= 0.04 then multiply by 703. In my case that comes to 28.12. This is close to my body fat percentage because I have not been working out. Once you have been working out 3-4 months then this method is not as accurate as you may be near your same weight but have converted some fat to muscle which weighs more than fat. A male with a body fat percentage between 14%-17% is considered fit. I would like to hit 20% I am kinda like TexasBob too many Miler Lites.

I never have liked the BMI figure. I'm 6'4/230 and my BMI says I'm over weight.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #28
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
I never have liked the BMI figure. I'm 6'4/230 and my BMI says I'm over weight.
Yep, my 30 yr old son just had a physical last week and the doctor was getting on him about his BMI. My son is in fantastic shape because he has been a serious workout guy since his highschool days. My son nicely told him he was an idiot.

Today was back, triceps and cardio. I had to cut it short today so I left out the stretching.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #29
coldgas
Ten Point

Legs and Hiit. Hiit kicked my *** today!
3 sets 30 second rest between sets
1 min fast feet burpees
45 sec sumo squat jumps
30 sec triple bears

Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #30
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
Legs and Hiit. Hiit kicked my *** today!
3 sets 30 second rest between sets
1 min fast feet burpees
45 sec sumo squat jumps
30 sec triple bears

I see you are learning that language that Muskles speaks, lol.

Today is all legs and cardio for me.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #31
TA_Fab
Four Point

Default New Year Workout Accountability 2019....

Going for 210 lbs Iím at 220 just want the ole love handles disappear I can have abs and still packing love handles. Girlfriend has a goal of losing 15 lbs. Iíll be doing weight circuits and Muay Thai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #32
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Quote:

Finally, someone I can communicate with!
Starting the year off at my normal comfortable 171#. My goal is to maintain the same weight +/- 5#, add a little muscle and increase flexibility. Gonna start over the AX-1 program and modify to heavier weights and fewer reps then follow up with some yoga type stretches. Hopefully get started Monday.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #33
coldgas
Ten Point

Quote:

I learned from a video. Just 3 easy payments of 19.95.

Off today and tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #34
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedale View Post
OK, I need to do this.

Will get on a scale tomorrow morning, but last weigh in was 295 after Christmas.

Goal weight 185.

Setting a goal of 2 pounds per week.

Started exercising yesterday in the cold and wind. Not fun.

Working on a monthly meal plan and will probably follow Southbeach phase II. If I do this right, I should hit my target weight by the end of August.

The biggest thing I know I have to do is eliminate all forms of alcohol and fast food.
Stepped on the scale and down to 291 from 295. Probably water weight as I only just started exercising.

Short term goal is to get to 275
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #35
150class
Pope & Young

Shoulders yesterday

BIs/Tris and abs today
Old 01-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #36
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

My goals are to get back and remain in good shape. Was at 207 right before thanksgiving and at 197 today. I am more worried about being able to carry my weight along with a 40 lbs pack versus where my weight is at. Having said this, in the past I felt best and strongest at 180-185ish.

Goal is to get cardio going and start stregth training as well focusing primarily on my core at first. Once I get to a better weight I want to start running and see if my knees will be ok with daily 3-5 mile runs.

I have family coming so the next month or so is going to be hard but I hope to at least start the cardio stuff and remain on a decent diet.

Best of luck to all!!
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #37
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Got 'er done Friday before leaving for the lease. Chest and biceps if I remember right.

Made it in today and had a good arm day, at the GF's request.

3 warmup sets followed by 5 working sets. A little on the heavy side concentrating on the eccentric. 5X8-10 supersets

Preacher curl/bodyweight dips
Barbell curl/skullcrusher
Incline dumbbell curl/overhead rope extension
Overhead cable curl

Tomorrow will be back and legs.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #38
coldgas
Ten Point

Chest, tri's and burnout.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #39
rtp
Pope & Young

Yall seeing the normal swell of folks at the gym since it's the beginning of a year? I always like seeing it and hope most will stay with it. By mid February it's over though and maybe a few people will become regulars.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #40
150class
Pope & Young

Back and cardio this morning

Also snuck in a 2.5 mile jog in yesterday.

On the road the next few days so have to keep it up in the hotel gyms
Old 01-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #41
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

I’ll join in this year, getting Married in May so really gotta get after it for the next 4 months.

Last I weighed I was up in the 230-240 range (used a scale we weigh deer with so it wasn’t exact) got into a competition at the MT CrossFit gym that started this morning, gave me a meal plan and then hit the gym this morning before hitting the road. I’ve never been a big weight watcher so I just wanna lose my gut and get my muscle tone cut in my shoulders chest back and arms
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #42
TA_Fab
Four Point

Anyone ever use one of those heart rate monitors that goes around your chest to track calories burned, and which HR zone your staying in while working out?

TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #43
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Yall seeing the normal swell of folks at the gym since it's the beginning of a year? I always like seeing it and hope most will stay with it. By mid February it's over though and maybe a few people will become regulars.
I was expecting a rush of "resolutioners", but haven't seen it as of yet. I've seen maybe three new people, but i'm usually there at 0530. They may be coming in later in the day.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #44
44mAG
Ten Point

Iím hopefully going on a high country Wyoming elk hunt this fall. If I get drawn in February , I hope to be around 200lbs, down from 235, and also be in the best shape of my life since high school. I lost around 25 lbs last year, but have been slacking over the holidays.

44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #45
rtp
Pope & Young

Legs, cardio and stretching today. Afternoon workout today as well as tomorrow. I very much prefer going to the gym in the mornings energy wise.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #46
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Chest and back today since the GF wants to get back on schedule for leg days. Treadmill warmup and then 3 warmup sets and 3 working sets. A good heavy day supersetting 3X8-10.

Flat bench/narrow grip t-bar row
Seated wide grip bench/Bilateral lat pull down
Bilateral incline press/Supinated wide grip low row
Incline fly/wide grip straight arm pull down

I got to get my nutrition in line pretty quick. I'm still eating holiday food.

Legs and shoulders tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #47
coldgas
Ten Point

Back and bi's. Hiit afterwards.

How do I get rid of this belly that doesn't want to go away? I'm eating right and exercising. I'm slowly making progress but I'd like to speed it up and be in shape by summer.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #48
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
Back and bi's. Hiit afterwards.

How do I get rid of this belly that doesn't want to go away? I'm eating right and exercising. I'm slowly making progress but I'd like to speed it up and be in shape by summer.

Just keep doing what your going. You can't target any particular area for fat loss. First fat on is first fat off. What is eating right mean?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #49
coldgas
Ten Point

Quote:
Just keep doing what your going. You can't target any particular area for fat loss. First fat on is first fat off. What is eating right mean?
Eating clean. Fresh meat and veggies. No sugar or bad starchy foods. Limited processed food. 1 cheat meal a week.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #50
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Im in.
Currently 230 , goal weight of 185. Cutting out all grains and starches and anything processed (minus the kolaches I had for breakfast) lol. Going to eat a lot of fish which of course means I’ll have to fish more to support my family’s health and fitness. Gonna be tough.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top