Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a rifle to Canada?

Hey Guys and Gals,

Going on a balck bear hunt in Quebec in June. I have a specific rifle that I have always wanted to kill a bear with. It's a custom .444 Marlin built by a late friend of mine. My question is have you ever taken a rifle into Canada? Can I have the ammo and the rifle in the locked hard case? Is there a minimum barrel length? How much of a pain is it?

You need to contact your outfitter or someone with Canadian Customs or both. Need a passport, no DWIs, not even if it's 20 years old, etc. Pretty strict on who they let in (unlike Pelosi and Schumer) Good luck !

Comment

Its not much pain as long as you follow all the regulations. Go to this site for Ca regulations: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm. You will also need to check with your airline for their specific rules and regulations. You may also want to register your firearm with US Customs for smooth re-entry. Can find all that information at this site: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ifle%2C-gun%2C.

Comment

I’ve done it several times recently. Not sure what that fella is talking about DWIs and such. Make sure it fits the Canadian requirements of hunting firearms . Locked container for rifle and put ammo in locked container in checked luggage. Declare when leaving U.S. and fill out a form documenting personal effects taken abroad. Pre fill the Canadian declaration and have theee copies. Pay a $25 fee to their customs and your in. Coming back just leave all paperwork in rifle case and both customs will verify. Bringing a bear back takes a little more. But it’s not that bad. Good luck.

Comment

Canadians are very strict about any legal offense. If you have a DWI or anything similar they may not let you in. Driving you don't get checked so much, flying, you will be screened before you get there and Canadian Customs will meet you. If you need to submit info on gun and yourself prior to arrival they will do a background check on you.

Comment

[quote=Leverhunter;13904856]Canadians are very strict about any legal offense. If you have a DWI or anything similar they may not let you in. Driving you don't get checked so much, flying, you will be screened before you get there and Canadian Customs will meet you. If you need to submit info on gun and yourself prior to arrival they will do a background check on you.
            Last edited by Bradical BH; 01-05-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

The Canadian border now has full access to the FBI criminal database via the country's CPIC database, which is operated by the RCMP and interfaced with the United States National Crime Information Center (NCIC).

Comment

No criminal background. I'm a bit worried about getting my trophy back. My friend from Qubec killed a deer here and it was a cluster to get it to him.

Comment

Paperwork is easy. Nonresident form RCMP 5589/CAFC 909 Fill out paperwork,make 3 copies,keep one with the gun at all times. $25 charge at customs to bring guns across. We drove so no experience with airline. The customs folks went over our passports and records pretty hard but there wasn't a problem but no one had a record. With deer I thing the rule is no crossing borders with any brain matter, spine or spinal fluid but don't know if that applies to bears. My deer wasn't a trophy so I didn't bring cape or entire skull,just horns and skullcap. Also had to buy a $30 permit to bring meat back across. This was Nov of 2018

Comment

I just went in October. Calgary preferred the declaration be on legal paper. Flying United the gun and ammo are together locked in the hard case. Locks are non TSA and you keep control of the keys. Make sure you have the declaration with you for US customs when returning back to the US. My brother had the paperwork in his checked bags so they had to recall our luggage. We just brought back capes and antlers, just another piece of paperwork to fill out. Overall it was a lot easier then I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                      Canadians are very strict about any legal offense. If you have a DWI or anything similar they may not let you in. Driving you don't get checked so much, flying, you will be screened before you get there and Canadian Customs will meet you. If you need to submit info on gun and yourself prior to arrival they will do a background check on you.
                      Yep. I've worked with guys who can't travel to Canada for work because they have decades old DWIs.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                        Yep. I've worked with guys who can't travel to Canada for work because they have decades old DWIs.
                        DWI has to be at least 10 years old. If not, you can buy some kind of work permit (couple hundred bucks) and they'll let you in.

Been there done that. Granted, it was back in 2006 so things may have changed.

Comment

Good information. I am hoping to get my first bear and not leave my gun in Canada.

Comment

friend of mine was going on a group fishing trip. checked at border,had a 30 year old dwi,sorry cant come in! you can request a review by a board 21 pages of paperwork and a section that u had to explain how you have changed ur life since the infraction. also $750.00 to $1000.00 review fee.

Comment

Yikes. That is pretty scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X