Real World MPG - Heavy Duty Gas Burnner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did some searching and didn't find anything on this.

If it has already been covered, I apologize for the redundancy.

For you Ford F-250 and F-350 owners with gas motors.

What kind of MPG are you seeing?

The truck I'm looking at has the 7.3 motor with 4.30 gears.

I've got a 2022 F250 Tremor (4:30 is the only option on the 7.3 Tremor). I'm averaging about 13 MPG. This includes my 14 mile round trip to the house and office during the week and a few highway miles on the weekend. I don't see much strictly highway miles but suspect I'd get closer to 14 MPG.

Pulling my 25' travel trailer I'll get 8-9 MPG depending on speed. I've never got a true weight of my trailer, but it's not overly heavy. I think dry weight is only around 5,000 lbs. Truck doesn't really know its back there for the most part.
    Last edited by Chad_E; 08-01-2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Chad E

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if the cost of a diesel is worth it.

I don't tow often but I put a lot of miles on a truck. Just trying to figure out if the increased MPG is worth the extra money.

Comment

My 2022 7.3 with 3:55 gets about 14 with the Tremor wheels. Made a trip from Houston to Red River amd aaveraged about 8-8.5 pulling our TT. About #7500.

The 4:30 rear ended may not be as shifty pulling as the 3:55. Maybe able to keep a taller gear better. Pulling a load I rarely get out of 8th gear, which is normal from what I have seen from others.

Comment

I could not justify it to go diesel. I was always scared of the potential diesel repair bill lol. If you do not work your truck daily or even weekly I do not see the reason to go diesel. But no help in the mpg category, but there are a few YouTube videos showing what you would have to do to offset the cost of the diesel vs. gas with mpg difference.

Comment

I get 17-20mpg in my 250 diesel and it only drops to about 14-15 when hauling the horse trailer fully loaded. I have honestly been contemplating going to a gasser on the next one as I don't see enough savings in the diesel (especially when it comes to repairs), but then I know that the diesel motor if properly maintained will be on the road years after that gasser is wore out. I usually get 550K-600K out my diesel motors. That is what makes me think it is wash either way. When my diesel repairs cost me more a month than a new payment it is time to by another one.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
              I get 17-20mpg in my 250 diesel and it only drops to about 14-15 when hauling the horse trailer fully loaded. I have honestly been contemplating going to a gasser on the next one as I don't see enough savings in the diesel (especially when it comes to repairs), but then I know that the diesel motor if properly maintained will be on the road years after that gasser is wore out. I usually get 550K-600K out my diesel motors. That is what makes me think it is wash either way. When my diesel repairs cost me more a month than a new payment it is time to by another one.
              you best hang on to that unicorn! I'm on my 2nd 7.7 diesel and both average 14.5-15 empty and 7.5-10 depending on size of trailer. (10mpg is my 6x12 UTV trailer)

Comment

Just for reference, I have a Dodge 2500 and get 13.5

Comment

i have a 2018 F250 with 4.30s, but with the 4wd, super crew, 6spd 6.2 gas. Empty I average 12.7 which is an even mix probably of city and highway. The killer is 80mph on the hwy. As a test before, ive ran 70 for my deer lease run empty an got 16mpg. With my 24' gooseneck and SxS or other general loads in it, i get about 10mpg. With my 8K lb tractor on it, the gooseneck gets 8-10 depending on speed and hills. Pulling 12K lb 5th wheel from 6-9, depending on terrain/speed and i usually dont go over 70 with that just because of fuel. Up steep hills with the 5th wheel its not uncommon to drop down to 3rd gear and wind up the RPMs, but it pulls it. Would a diesel do that better, probably. But I move that trailer maybe once a year. I pull the gooseneck maybe every other month and i drive that truck maybe 800miles/month. For me, the extra maintenance and cost of a diesel arent worth it.

Comment

Figure 12 lifetime average, unless you pull a lot. 10-12 city 14-15 highway, 5-10 pulling

Comment

F350 longbed 4x4 7.3 with 4:30's
                      65 - 70 =14 70 += 12 to13. Trailer with ranger 10.
                      She will pull like a beast though

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                        I averaged 20.3 mpg this past weekend in my ‘22 F250 with the 6.7 powerstroke on. 700 Mike round trip to the in-laws. I’ve owned several diesels and if you’re getting 14-15 mpg pulling a horse trailer loaded or not, you may need to recalculate the numbers….unless it was downhill from the top of a mountain pass to the valley, cause I’m smelling the back end of that horse trailer ;-)

Comment

2022 7.3gas LWB 4X4 3.73 gears

5500 mile in I’m averaging 13.6 all time

I oddly get Better mileage at 78-80 (14.5) than I do at 70-72 (13.5)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A good friend of mine just got rid of his 7.3 gasser with the 10spd after it left he and his family on the side of the road for the 3rd or 4th time in 3 years. He had transmission issues 3 times, ignition issues once, and front end issues a lot. He pulls a skid steer around a few days a week, and a 36’ fifth wheel some. I believe his was the 3:55. All I know about mileage is that we left New Braunfels FULL of fuel last week with the campers, and he had to get gas in Hico.[emoji23]

I have one in an F550 that’s been a good truck so far. It has the lower rear end gear. I have no idea on mileage on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Dale Moser; 08-01-2022, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I’m at 14.1 mpg for the last 1500 miles hand calculated. That’s roughly 80% highway and 20% in town. Coming from a tuned 17’ 6.7 diesel 350 I’m very happy with the 7.3. Mine is a 2022 F250 with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears.

Comment

Working...
                              X