NW Colorado Hunting Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NW Colorado Hunting Help

Does anyone have any experience elk hunting north west of Craig Colorado? My buddy has some family land that was inherited (approx. 300 acres) the terrain looks kind of flat maybe grass land? Do y’all think it would have any game on it? Looks like it has a creek running through it. Not sure if it’s dry or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to google earth and search that exact area like you have on OnX. Once you are in the area click the street view icon. There are several points on there that will put you in that area and give you a idea of the terrain. If the family land is surrounded by public land that’s a win for you. I would be willing to bet the creek is dry. The water holes we find in that country have water because of solar wells. There are big mule deer and elk in that country but they are typically in private where the tanks and alfalfa fields are.

Comment

Since gas and travel is quite expensive right now, If you’d like, I can take a trip up there this year to test out the land and see if I can find any game for you guys

Comment

The Meeker are just south of there is home to the largest elk herd in North America. I do know the Craig area has tons of mulies and some giants.

Comment

That area has some of the biggest elk in all of CO. Get your butt up there and getcha one!

Comment

Thanks for the input, I think we are going to fly out and do some scouting this year just to get a feel for it. I’ve never hunted out west but would love too. Hopefully the land will hold some animals.

Comment

Originally posted by CSB View Post
              Thanks for the input, I think we are going to fly out and do some scouting this year just to get a feel for it. I’ve never hunted out west but would love too. Hopefully the land will hold some animals.

Do you have access to public around that parcel? Or are you hunting the private land only?

Comment

Find out what unit it is, might be a draw that takes some PP.
                Could be wintering ground too.

Comment

I have never hunted that far north but have been reasonably close, there are some good elk in that area. It is dry but there maybe deep washes with springs. 300 acres is small in that country if you don’t have something major to attract or hold them them (hay fields or ponds). Lots of good mule deer around. There is some pretty good blm south of there but it’s checkerboard and you usually have to over some miles to find them. That’s my experience anyway.

Comment

What’s the land being used for now?

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                      Do you have access to public around that parcel? Or are you hunting the private land only?

I’m going to check today and find out that’s what I’m hoping

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        Find out what unit it is, might be a draw that takes some PP.
                        Could be wintering ground too.

It’s in unit 3

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          What’s the land being used for now?

Absolutely nothing to my knowledge he’s never been there before it was in his family but there is no civilization on the property.

Comment

Originally posted by CSB View Post
                            It’s in unit 3

That should be OTC for archery elk. And looking at draw stats you have 27% chance of drawing archery deer tag with 0 PP’s…….as of 2022 results

Comment

Unit 3 is 54.1% public so there is a good chance that there will be public near if not touching it. Unit 2 and 201 are the big trophy units up that way so although you aren't in the "trophy" unit you are close enough to have a crack at some good ones. Average bull size in that unit is 280-310 with trophy potential being over 320......all good bulls in my opinion but I am more about the experience rather than the head gear, that's just a bonus.

Archery season is OTC, along with 2nd & 3rd rifle.

Muzzleloader, 1st & 4th rifle are draw only.

Comment

Working...
                              X