Shipping a firearm from Oklahoma to TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping a firearm from Oklahoma to TX

Do current firearm laws require it come from an Oklahoma FFL holder to an FFL holder in TX?

Thanks.

Must come to a FFL here. An individual can ship it if your FFL will accept from an individual.

Comment

Need to send a copy of your DL w/ gun if the ffl accepts from individuals...

Comment

Need more details. Handgun or long gun? Is the gun changing ownership? Are you shipping it to yourself?

Comment

You might check with some local gun shops on their shipping charge. I shipped a rifle to California and my local gun shop shipped it for me including boxing it up, insurance, and all the stuff needed to ship for California for way cheaper than I could ship it myself thru Fedex.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
            Need more details. Handgun or long gun? Is the gun changing ownership? Are you shipping it to yourself?
            Looking at purchasing a shotgun from an individual in the Oklahoma City area. My better judgement is telling me to stay away from shipping it. I want to make sure if we decide to ship it that it is done legally.

For some reason I was thinking he had to take it to an FFL holder and have them ship it to an FFL holder down here in the Houston area for me.

Thanks for the advise David. I will check with my ffl holder and see what he recommends.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
              Looking at purchasing a shotgun from an individual in the Oklahoma City area. My better judgement is telling me to stay away from shipping it. I want to make sure if we decide to ship it that it is done legally.

For some reason I was thinking he had to take it to an FFL holder and have them ship it to an FFL holder down here in the Houston area for me.

Thanks for the advise David. I will check with my ffl holder and see what he recommends.

It’s probably safer and cheaper to do it FFL to FFL. It’s legal to ship individual to FFL if they are willing to accept from an individual but it is costly and the very vague language in UPS/Fed Ex shipping policies makes it risky for an individual at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Jump through the hoops.

Hoop #1: Legally you can ship from an individual to an FFL, but only if the receiving FFL will accept it. Some won't.

Hoop #2: The shipping company you pick can make it a pain. They are all different. FedEx WILL NOT let a non-FFL ship a gun, even to an FFL. I was worried about this when I had to send a gun back to the manufacturer, but since they (an ffl) sent me a label it was ok. UPS lets you ship to an FFL as an individual but you have to schedule pickup or go the hub, not a branch location. USPS lets you ship a long gun only unless you have an FFL.

Shipping FFL to FFL isn't required, but these days makes it easier IMO.

Comment

Maybe an express would be easier.

Comment

USPS lets you ship a long gun only unless you have an FFL.
                    Incorrect. Does not apply to long guns. Only handguns. I’ve shipped a bunch to ffl’s as well as in state individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Incorrect. Does not apply to long guns. Only handguns. I’ve shipped a bunch to ffl’s as well as in state individuals.
                      You can mail a long gun without an ffl, not a handgun is what I was saying. Am I wrong on that?

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                        You can mail a long gun without an ffl, not a handgun is what I was saying. Am I wrong on that?
                        That’s correct. I may have misunderstood your wording. I thought you were saying you had to have an ffl to mail a rifle or shotgun. My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Comment

Working...
                        X