Portable controlled climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable controlled climate

We are going to be moving within the next month and need to have some controlled climate space. It is extremely hard to come by these days, especially in Bryan-College Station. We will be closing on a piece of property next Friday with a large building on it and are considering make a space until I can build a room inside which will be pretty quick. We are thinking of one of these with a portable AC unit and a room dehumidifier inside. It would be inside the building. Would like to hear what you guys think as a very temporary solution. Thanks.

Portable climate controlled space

Click image for larger version

Name:	portable garage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	25287311

That should keep the rain off, but I don't believe it'll keep any cool in.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
      It will be INSIDE

Comment

I think I'd lean more towards an rv for temporary housing. Personal opinion is that will not cool at all.

Comment

The cooling source will blow cold in, but with the humidity there will be condensation.
          Similar to when the Astrodome was built. Turned the A/C on and had rain...Inside the building!

Comment

The cooling source will blow cold in, but with the humidity there will be condensation.Similar to when the Astrodome was built. Turned the A/C on and had rain...Inside the building!
            Yeh, I'm an old native Houstonian, too and remember but I think the dehumidifier will help. Also, humidity levels are pretty low or have been due to the extreme heat.

Originally posted by RatherBhuntin View Post
            I think I'd lean more towards an rv for temporary housing. Personal opinion is that will not cool at all.
            Ok, thanks. I'm not planning to live in it. Simply store some furniture until we can build a permanent room. We will be staying in the RV right outside the building until we build or find a house. Playing the market.

Originally posted by zztex View Post
            It will be INSIDE
            Right, Billy. Some important points seemed to have been missed. Very temporary, inside the building and enclosure stays closed and includes a dehumidifier that works well in the RV when not traveling. Probably even throw some blankets over the top if necessary.

Comment

The AC unit will take out a lot of humidity itself. I think you would have to vent it outside the structure.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
                The AC unit will take out a lot of humidity itself. I think you would have to vent it outside the structure.

Definitely vent out.

Another thing is the air doesn't have to be 70 degrees either. 85 with low humidity is fine.

Comment

I ordered a PAC unit a few days ago for my garage. Here's the one I bought. There are many on the market as well as Mini Splits or PTAC units. The PTAC units are easy to install yourself.

Comment

If I were trying to pull this off, I would set up something like that and put a portable A/C in there running 24x7 non-stop on minimum temp setting. Add a dehumidifier and set it on 60% and it will start kicking on in the evening and keep it from condensing as it will do two things: heat it back up AND remove water. The two will battle it out. I would guess that you'll have trouble getting below 85 degrees or so inside that tent during the day and not much better at night but your stuff will be dry. I've done something similar using both units and it does work but the "cool" part of it isn't that great because you have no insulation.

You'll need separate plugs as each unit will pull it's 15 amps and it will pop a 20-amp circuit and figure 1200-1500 watts of electricity for each unit during run time. Combining both and running 70% of the day, you'd be pulling about 2500 watts for 18 hours or so. I'd imagine about $6-7/day plus the cost of the a/c and dehumidifier.

If you go this route, get a "dual hose" a/c unit. They pull air from outside the enclosure and pump it in. It'll work a lot better in this situation as you don't have insulation or robust seals. You could also drape every blanket/sleeping bag/etc. over the roof and it will help a little.

Comment

Ended up buying this one.

Also bought a small AC unit with built in dehumidifier (thought all ACs had that).

Without being insulated, I didn't want super cold so I believe it will work out well. The building it will be in is 30' x 40' with 12' walls. It is about 13' to the bottom of the truss so maybe 15-16' at the peak. I was in it 2 days ago and the temperature wasn't terrible late morning.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X