canam service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

canam service

Looking for experiences and prices to do a yearly service for my Canam Defender HD-8 between Fort Worth and Abilene. Any done that recently? I normally do it myself.

In for answers.

I know north of Austin in Georgetown I paid around $500 years ago for them to service my Honda Pioneer 700. I do it myself now for about $70 in supplies.

I know Can-Am oil change kits cost more and I'm not all sure if there's more to do or not on the Can-Am. I'm about to service mine for the first time in the next week or two.

Anyone know what all needs to be done?
    Change oil and oil filter
    change air filter (or clean)
    check differential fluid
    What else?

Comment

It’s easy, I have done my hd5 for a lot less than taking to dealer. Just youtube it

Comment

Originally posted by luv2hunt View Post
        It’s easy, I have done my hd5 for a lot less than taking to dealer. Just youtube it
        Thanks. Ya, I've done it before. And usually do. I need to get it done this week and my schedule is a bit busy. I've ordered the supplies and will likely do on Friday. Was just hoping maybe it wasn't a big delta.

Comment

They charge an insane premium. Do it yourself.

Comment

I just had my second servicing on my 2020 can-am hd 10 and it was just under $500.
            Second time same dealer has serviced it and never tried to upcharge anything they “find” wrong. I agree it’s a premium price but if they catch something early could easily pay for its self. I enjoy trail riding in Colorado and hunting in Texas with my machine so anything I can do to keep it out of the shop I do.
            Coyote power sports in Boerne is great.

Sorry OP I know doesn’t directly answer your question but hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
              I just had my second servicing on my 2020 can-am hd 10 and it was just under $500.
              Second time same dealer has serviced it and never tried to upcharge anything they “find” wrong. I agree it’s a premium price but if they catch something early could easily pay for its self. I enjoy trail riding in Colorado and hunting in Texas with my machine so anything I can do to keep it out of the shop I do.

I thought this in the past....but after seeing employees and how places are run (short staffed, backlogged, hiring anyone with a pulse etc) I just don't think that's the case anymore.

I would love to be proven wrong. If I knew they actually looked over the vehicle really well I'd pay the price every time.

And after reading up while learning to do tune ups myself I just don't see what they'd find or even look for really. But I'm far from mechanical.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for (except need one up here).

The powersports in ftw is closed today (and yesterday). I needed to make the decision to order parts. I did so assuming they get here by Friday I'll do it myself again. Interesting the parts and fluid are close to $200. And I had to get a new battery too.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                  Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for (except need one up here).

The powersports in ftw is closed today (and yesterday). I needed to make the decision to order parts. I did so assuming they get here by Friday I'll do it myself again. Interesting the parts and fluid are close to $200. And I had to get a new battery too.
                  What parts did you order? I can get the can am oil change kit for $55, and diff fluids for another $40-50. I’ve maintained all of our Can Ams for the last 9 years. 4 in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    What parts did you order? I can get the can am oil change kit for $55, and diff fluids for another $40-50. I’ve maintained all of our Can Ams for the last 9 years. 4 in that time.
                    I got a kit that included the oil, filter and gear oil (3 qts). Then air filter and a spark plug. Got that from Amazon. Could've saved some money on the gear oil by going to a different brand. But that is the brand I've used. And not driving around getting local is worth it.

Will also replace the coolant this year.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                      I got a kit that included the oil, filter and gear oil (3 qts). Then air filter and a spark plug. Got that from Amazon. Could've saved some money on the gear oil by going to a different brand. But that is the brand I've used. And not driving around getting local is worth it.

Will also replace the coolant this year.
                      I use Can Am fluids, filters, and parts for everything on mine. I can see it coming out to $200 though with air filters and plugs though. Prices have come up in the last 3 months since I last ordered parts. Which reminds me I need to order a couple more kits lol thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X