Anyone ever sue a new car dealership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever sue a new car dealership?

My wife and I bought a new car and it has been the most horrible experience I have ever known when buying a new car. The dealership sold our trade in 2 weeks before they paid the loan off, they paid for a 1 year registration sticker instead of a 2 year, my wife had to go to the dealership a total of 3 times because they supposedly kept getting paperwork wrong or forgot something, charged us $2k for 70k mile service coverage instead of the agreed upon price of $800 and then only submitted paperwork to the service coverage company for 20k mile coverage, and then charged us an additional $2k for other coverage that we did not ask for. Then they emailed us the paperwork instead of giving us a paper copy(I know, that should not have happened).

I have already contacted a law firm who has already represented clients who got scammed by this dealership, but I would like to hear from those who have sued a new car dealership. How did it go? Were you successful or not? How long did it take to get to an outcome?

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
    My wife and I bought a new car and it has been the most horrible experience I have ever known when buying a new car. The dealership sold our trade in 2 weeks before they paid the loan off, they paid for a 1 year registration sticker instead of a 2 year, my wife had to go to the dealership a total of 3 times because they supposedly kept getting paperwork wrong or forgot something, charged us $2k for 70k mile service coverage instead of the agreed upon price of $800 and then only submitted paperwork to the service coverage company for 20k mile coverage, and then charged us an additional $2k for other coverage that we did not ask for. Then they emailed us the paperwork instead of giving us a paper copy(I know, that should not have happened).
    This is confusing. They charged you the extra amount that you did not agree to...but did you actually PAY it?

Why would you buy a 70,000 mile warranty on a new car when it already has a new car warranty?

I have never sued a new car dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      This is confusing. They charged you the extra amount that you did not agree to...but did you actually PAY it?

Why would you buy a 70,000 mile warranty on a new car when it already has a new car warranty?

I have never sued a new car dealer.
      Service/maintenance contract. Basically prepaid all service. We agreed on $800 but they put in the paperwork $2k. That was NOT there when we signed originally. Plus, they did not even submit the correct paperwork for 70k miles of prepaid service. They submitted paperwork that only covered service till 20k miles!!

Comment

Wait till you see the lawyer fees....

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
          Service/maintenance contract. Basically prepaid all service. We agreed on $800 but they put in the paperwork $2k. That was NOT there when we signed originally. Plus, they did not even submit the correct paperwork for 70k miles of prepaid service. They submitted paperwork that only covered service till 20k miles!!
          Still confused . Usually the purchase contract will have the detailed amounts, then totaled when you signed. Did you not get a copy of what you signed right then? How could they change the amount(s) on a contract with your signature already on it? Did you sign a blank form?

Was this a new vehicle?

It will cost you more in attorney fees than $2000.

Comment

Small claims court
            Easy

Comment

Should have a Buyers Order and a RIC if financed. Both should line item out the transaction and costs associated, and should have been signed. Do those documents have what they are charging you listed out, and were they signed?

Comment

We did not get handed receipts after we signed. My mother-in-law bought a car from the same dealership a couple of months before and they did the same with her, but they didn’t scam her. They told us it was paperless signing. When my wife and I electronically signed, the amounts were correct. So somewhere between signing and when the finance company got the paperwork, the numbers were changed.

The other lawsuit that the law firm has handled against this dealership, they did the same thing. The person had to come back to resign and numbers were changed.

Comment

so what dealership is it ?? let the rest know so they can avoid the place.

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
                    so what dealership is it ?? let the rest know so they can avoid the place.
                    I’d rather hold off on stating what dealership it is till after I speak to the law firm. I see too many posts on here stating people should not have posted this kind of info when a law suit is involved. I will say the dealership is north of Austin and south of D/FW.

Comment

Never buy anything but the vehicle. Have Financing arranged ahead of time at a credit union. Sell your vehicle yourself, don't trade it in, especially these days when the inventory is so low on used cars. When you go to the F&I guy, tell him you don't want financing unless he beats X% by 1 point. On my last one, I asked the F&I guy why he didn't try to sell me an extended warranty or service plan. (that was the first time a dealership didn't at least try). He told me people with credit scores as high as mine don't buy them. He was right. I take a laptop with me, set the pace of time and run the deal with rebates & opposing interest rates to check payments and total costs on my own, not what they tell me. We're talking about thousands of $, be a boss. This also lets the guy know I won't be rushed, and he is on my time. He'll get done with me quickly so he can beat the other F&I guy to the next sucker.

My ex wife tried to make a point once and go buy a car on her own without me. This was a DFW Metroplex dealership. She's got the deal all done, but calls me to come sign as a co-owner, since she needed me on the title, I assume to get the best interest rate. I get up there and two hours later the sales guy and the F&I guy are so ****** because it took me that long, and several attempts to get them to remove all the crap they had added on. And yes, they tried a couple of times to leave things on the deal I told them to remove and had to redo it.

I'm sorry about your experience. I don't tell you this to brag, but a lot of people will read this post, and I hope to hell that at least one person learns to be a boss, know their stuff ahead of time, have their $ ready & not get it broke off them. Good luck with your issue.

Comment

Dbap, everything you say is 100% correct. But none of it answers OPs question lol

Comment

I’ve purchased MANY new vehicles and have never experienced this. The only thing I agreed to purchase was GAP and the $800 prepaid service. The big problem is they changed the contract. So it didn’t matter how much of a “boss” I was.

Comment

Hope you get it worked out. I wouldn't sign anything if I couldn't get a paper contract printed out. Just ask them to remove all service maintenance costs since you have used none. Give them one opportunity to make it right before you take legal action and go on every website possible with 1 star reviews naming the sales associate and finance Mgr by name.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                              Hope you get it worked out. I wouldn't sign anything if I couldn't get a paper contract printed out. Just ask them to remove all service maintenance costs since you have used none. Give them one opportunity to make it right before you take legal action and go on every website possible with 1 star reviews naming the sales associate and finance Mgr by name.

I have given them an opportunity to remedy this and, like most dealerships, the customer was ignored. From what I was told by the current sales manager(which is different than at the time when we purchased the vehicle), new management is in charge now and they have gotten a LOT of calls just like mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X