Internet modem Tech guru's ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet modem Tech guru's ???

We have OTR Mobile so we get our internet from cell towers. We use a Mofi modem.

When I run a speed test using just my phone I get 5mbps download When I use any other device it tanks to 1mbps It seems to work well enough watching Netflix while using a phone and surfing the web on my computer most of the time. But then drops internet all over for a couple seconds every 10-20 minutes.

Is that an issue with the modem, OTR mobile, or will I just not be able to use more than 1 or 2 devices?

Been there done that. Started with 3 down.
    Last year started chasing speed. Paying for 1 million down but only getting 890,000.

Bump for a expert...

Comment

I don't care if it's a little slow. Just trying to figure out why I can't keep connection.

Any other phone providers offering internet like OTR mobile?

Comment

If it is line of sight, you may have some trees blocking the path. Or maybe not tuned in to the other satellite good.

Comment

5mbps is just painfully slow in today's world of high speed internet. Add more devices to get a slice of the 5mbps pie and even slower.

Edit: I missed the connection dropping. Is this every 10-20 minutes or only when more devices are on?

Comment

I just ordered a second internet provider. This one is a fast hot spot. No wires.
            AT&T went down last week and running a net company this is un-thinkable. Soo I now have 2 choices. If I have power {stand alone generator} I should be able to create shipping labels and invoices. 30ish sales yesterday.
            There has to be a second solution. Elton Musk satellites, cell booster, something in your area. I also have a cell phone booster and can see downtown Houston from my roof.
            Bump for a bud...

Comment

I experienced the same thing with OTR, it would get worse during peak periods. I ended up dropping them and getting tmobile internet. It's cheaper and works a little better for me.

Comment

I'm running OTR now thru ATThotspot, name of provider.

I've been getting 10.5 or so down and 7 up.

If I do basic browsing, sometimes it'll go a day or so without losing connection.
                If I start doing a few youtubes, it'll go down every couple hours.
                I don't even try to watch any movies on it. ATTHostspot says that ATT pulls the plug on over users thru their server(?)
                I kinda of suspect they have some kind of bandwidth filter. If not, it sure seems like it.

I've been trying to get Nextlink out here, but they are the most unfriendly business I have contacted.

Comment

what is OTR?

Comment

How close are the towers, any idea on how good your signal is.
                    If you're only getting 5mb then you probably keep it maxed pretty good, and the connection is poor to begin with.
                    Everytime you try and push it beyond what is capable with your connection, it's probably kicking back and trying to figure out what the hell to do.
                    Only so much bandwidth, you have multiple devices asking for it, none taking priority over the other, and everytime you try and take more than is available, it says screw it let's start over.
                    When that happens it appears you have no internet.
                    On top of all that, you probably have a high packet rate loss due to poor connection.
                    2 devices on 5mb is too much depending on what you're doing.
                    5 devices are ok depending on what you're doing.
                    Watching a video in HD, downloads, Ring cameras, updates, etc = a lot of bandwidth when you're talking 5mb, to the point not even 1 device would function were you to try and stream in 4k.
                    Opening emails, browsing, chatting, streaming >720p = ok on 5mb.
                    You may look at a modem with a better antenna, or putting up some type of booster.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                      I'm running OTR now thru ATThotspot, name of provider.

I've been getting 10.5 or so down and 7 up.

If I do basic browsing, sometimes it'll go a day or so without losing connection.
                      If I start doing a few youtubes, it'll go down every couple hours.
                      I don't even try to watch any movies on it. ATTHostspot says that ATT pulls the plug on over users thru their server(?)
                      I kinda of suspect they have some kind of bandwidth filter. If not, it sure seems like it.

I've been trying to get Nextlink out here, but they are the most unfriendly business I have contacted.
                      And crooked .

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                        I just ordered a second internet provider. This one is a fast hot spot. No wires.
                        AT&T went down last week and running a net company this is un-thinkable. Soo I now have 2 choices. If I have power {stand alone generator} I should be able to create shipping labels and invoices. 30ish sales yesterday.
                        There has to be a second solution. Elton Musk satellites, cell booster, something in your area. I also have a cell phone booster and can see downtown Houston from my roof.
                        Bump for a bud...
                        Thanks Johnny. I know there has to be something I can do. We bought the "good" antennas. Didn't help much. Just don't want to dump more money in guessing LOL.. Also I've tried cell boosters twice with no luck.

Just weird because it works 80% of the time just fine watching movies, playing music, trading stocks, all at once... And then it sucks. I think the provider is jacking with me like hpdrifter said.. But I'm not tech savy enough to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          How close are the towers, any idea on how good your signal is.
                          If you're only getting 5mb then you probably keep it maxed pretty good, and the connection is poor to begin with.
                          Everytime you try and push it beyond what is capable with your connection, it's probably kicking back and trying to figure out what the hell to do.
                          Only so much bandwidth, you have multiple devices asking for it, none taking priority over the other, and everytime you try and take more than is available, it says screw it let's start over.
                          When that happens it appears you have no internet.
                          On top of all that, you probably have a high packet rate loss due to poor connection.
                          2 devices on 5mb is too much depending on what you're doing.
                          5 devices are ok depending on what you're doing.
                          Watching a video in HD, downloads, Ring cameras, updates, etc = a lot of bandwidth when you're talking 5mb, to the point not even 1 device would function were you to try and stream in 4k.
                          Opening emails, browsing, chatting, streaming >720p = ok on 5mb.
                          You may look at a modem with a better antenna, or putting up some type of booster.
                          Ideas for antenna or booster? I'll try them again if returnable when they don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            Ideas for antenna or booster? I'll try them again if returnable when they don't work.
                            I see you already tried that.
                            Which booster antenna were you using?
                            Distance between modem and inside booster antenna?
                            Any idea what bands are being broadcast from your local towers, ever looked into it?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              what is OTR?
                              OTR Mobile is the industry's leading internet provider for portable and rural WIFI! Whether you're on the go, or somebody living remote we've got you covered!

Comment

Working...
                              X