New Helix Ranch lake project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Helix Ranch lake project

My wife and I bought a new place last year and one of the big projects has been getting the 12 acre lake where we want it. We did a electro survey and DNA testing and they were all native Texas bass. So we brought the electro boat back out and wiped out all the bass.

After that, we brought in 3,000 coppernose bluegill, 300 pounds of fathead minnows and 200 Mozambique tilapia. We’ve also added several hundred pounds of crawfish.

Next came the bass. We brought in 100 1-3 pound pure F1s that were culled from a lake that has produced 14 pound bass.

We have added brush piles, lay overs, fish feeders, done a lot of chemical treatments, next up aeration. It’s been a fun project. The bonus flooded timber holds a PILE of wood ducks.

Here’s a bunch of pictures dating back to last year when we first bought the property. We are also in the process of completing our high fence, so I’ll have some deer pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chase This!; 05-22-2021, 05:12 PM.

Congrats impressive work. Living the dream for sure.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Question, those tilapia seem big for food or is the pic is deceiving? Is that a duck blind or fish structure for the bottom, the pic with the palms? I’m in the process of building/stocking my pond and I’m always curious about what/why people do for there ponds.

Comment

Btw it looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
          Question, those tilapia seem big for food or is the pic is deceiving? Is that a duck blind or fish structure for the bottom, the pic with the palms? I’m in the process of building/stocking my pond and I’m always curious about what/why people do for there ponds.
          We brought in big tilapia to help with vegetation control and so they can start spawning. The bass will be crushing their hatches.

Structure. Held down with cinder blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
            Btw it looks great!
            Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
            Congrats impressive work. Living the dream for sure.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
            Thank you!

Comment

You did it right. All that restoking didn't come cheap. If you were honest with your wife about the true cost of it all, then you need to keep that woman.

Comment

Very nice . . Gotta love it when a plan comes together . . Enjoy . .

Comment

I’ve enjoyed following this on Insta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wow! That's a fun project, and you are dong it first class!

Comment

That’s badarse. Good luck on everything. My FIL’s uncle has a 50 plus acre lake in Weimar and so far they have hit 17 pounds on the bass on multiple occasion. Taken some time to get there but it’s happening finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        You did it right. All that restoking didn't come cheap. If you were honest with your wife about the true cost of it all, then you need to keep that woman.
                        It been a little pricey. The biggest expense was the bass. I didn’t have the patience to go with small ones and wait a few years, so we went with the big bass which was pricey. Wife well aware, luckily she fishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                          I’ve enjoyed following this on Insta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Thanks, bud. I’ve enjoyed your photography and baseball pics!

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                            That’s badarse. Good luck on everything. My FIL’s uncle has a 50 plus acre lake in Weimar and so far they have hit 17 pounds on the bass on multiple occasion. Taken some time to get there but it’s happening finally.
                            Wow! That’s awesome. Our goal is 10 pounds. I think we’ll get there. 17 is insane! Good on them!

Comment

Ver nice man!

Comment

Working...
                              X