No announcement yet.

Rifle Aim Point for Dropping a Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You gotta be careful with the "high shoulder" shots. A little too high and you'll spinal shock them, then get to watch them jump up and run off. I prefer just about where the neck and shoulder meet. DRT. Look at that pic Antlercollector posted. I'd go just a touch lower than those crosshairs.

Now, when I'm guiding someone (kids or adults) I tell them to shoot right in the center of the shoulder. Sometimes they drop, sometimes they don't. But if you take out the front wheels they won't go far.

Comment

Bullet selection every bit if not more important than placement, those that have bad luck with a shoulder shot used a poor bullet choice imo.

This website is run by a professional hunter and is great for both shot placement and bullet selection by caliber.

Effective game killing- How bullets kill and where to aim to ensure a fast clean kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Double C View Post
        Bullet selection every bit if not more important than placement

I agree the right bullet for the job is very important. It’s not more important than placement though.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
          Why mess up a shoulder ?
          Disable locomotion.

My deer shoulder meat always seems to go to burger or chili chunks anyhow. Its just an effective preprocessing shot.

Last season my boy shoulder shot three deer with 75 gn .223 and all three dropped like a ton of bricks. Only one required a follow up.

Comment

I’m too old to go tracking deer and dragging them out of the woods. I hit the off switch !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              I’m too old to go tracking deer and dragging them out of the woods. I hit the off switch !
              I live in Dons camp. With a rifle this is always a DRT shot. But don’t be surprised if it requires a walk up dispatch shot. After 5 minutes I will approach and finish if they haven’t expired.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
                High shoulder is true but I don't like it unless you're a tac driver. There's a void with not much anything if you go to far one direction.
                Saw a guy hit an axis doe with a 7mag, she dropped from the shock, got up and made off in a dazed fashion about a 40 seconds later. But yes it was a bad shot.
                I like the quarter shot, hit top of heart and lungs, hopefully nab the backside shoulder on the way out.
                If you can’t put a bullet in the high shoulder from 200 yards, you probably shouldn’t be hunting deer anyway….

Comment

To answer the question, that high shoulder is lights out. Has to
                  Do with the central nervous system being between the scapula (shoulder blades)

It’s two fold, hit that CNS and blows the running gear out. For a big deer, or deer in nasty brush. It’s the way to go. And with a properly matched bullet to rifle for your normal ranges it tears up surprisingly little meat. But
                  Something super high speed or frangible is asking for a grenade and would likely be better off shooting behind the shoulder.

As for margins of Error. Every shot placement has that. Head neck you could miss or blow off a jaw, behind the shoulder if you go too far back, gut shot. They all have their pros or cons, it Really boils down to the shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Right between the eyes, or in the ear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Shoulder neck intersection !

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        If you can’t put a bullet in the high shoulder from 200 yards, you probably shouldn’t be hunting deer anyway….

Exactly, it’s literally, the biggest part of the deer.

Remington core lokts, green and yellow box….don’t overthink this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ear

Comment

I'm for right behind the ear Unless I'm going to mount it Then I will take a lower neck shot

Comment

Or if they're looking right at you Shoot for the top of the white patch between their legs

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                This is what works for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X