Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    What does this mean?
    They are exempt from property & federal taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Consumption tax would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Agreed! But it would be too simple and fair, then the government would not be able to screw you.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
        The problem i see with consumption tax, is everyone would just start buying/ordering what they need (non perishables) from states with a lower tax rate.

Would be no different than buying from places like Amazon now. You still pay Texas sales tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

at and 8% sales tax rate and that sales tax being applied to everything i bought (no exemptions). i would have to buy about $800,000 in taxable consumer goods to make up the difference if property taxes were eliminated.

would land and home sales become sales taxed under the fair\consumption tax while doing away with property taxes?

Comment

Property tax is the worth thing about Texas. It’s bull **** to the 1000th degree. Like mentioned already you never own your home in Tx. You can and many have been taxed out of their homes in Tx and it seems like there is no stopping these taxing entities from doing as they please. That’s one reason why people who don’t own anything should not be allowed to vote on propositions that will raise property taxes.
            No one should be paying more than 5 k in property tax and the taxing entities need to learn to spend wisely

Comment

I guess home sales would start being taxes as a sale at time of purchase....

Comment

I saw some guys complaining on another forum about $1000/year property taxes on each vehicle and boat they own. I believe they were in South Carolina. Thank goodness we don’t have that level of taxation here.

As for the Property vs. Sales Tax, I’m a fan of the sales tax over the current system. But don’t see it changing. Hard to change the take it from him and give it to me system when they take it from everyone in a consumptive tax environment. In addition, Politicians loose power when they can can’t offer tax breaks or loopholes. I believe that will keep a consumption tax from ever seeing the light of day.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                  I saw some guys complaining on another forum about $1000/year property taxes on each vehicle and boat they own. I believe they were in South Carolina. Thank goodness we don’t have that level of taxation here.

As for the Property vs. Sales Tax, I’m a fan of the sales tax over the current system. But don’t see it changing. Hard to change the take it from him and give it to me system when they take it from everyone in a consumptive tax environment. In addition, Politicians loose power when they can can’t offer tax breaks or loopholes. I believe that will keep a consumption tax from ever seeing the light of day.
                  My uncle in Gillespie county got taxed on a model T he had in his shop the tax man saw through a window. I got taxed on an enclosed trailer I happened to have a business name on the side of. They get us one way or the other

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    Property tax is the worth thing about Texas. It’s bull **** to the 1000th degree. Like mentioned already you never own your home in Tx. You can and many have been taxed out of their homes in Tx and it seems like there is no stopping these taxing entities from doing as they please. That’s one reason why people who don’t own anything should not be allowed to vote on propositions that will raise property taxes.
                    No one should be paying more than 5 k in property tax and the taxing entities need to learn to spend wisely
                    At the very least when you buy a house or land the value it's worth at that time should be what you're taxed on as long as you own it.

I don't get the used car tax. Every time a car changes hands they get to re-tax it. That's flat robbery.

Comment

At the very least when you buy a house or land the value it's worth at that time should be what you're taxed on as long as you own it.

I don't get the used car tax. Every time a car changes hands they get to re-tax it. That's flat robbery.
                      I ageee to a point that at a minimum it stays at the rate it was when you bought it. Problem is that might be 1k a month or more and I really don’t care how wealthy a person is they should not be paying some dang ISD and county that kind of money for ever. My wife’s grand parents built a house on lake LBJ back in the early 70’s and today it would cost us 12500 a year to keep it. That’s horse hock. I looked up a few older homes in horse shoe bay to compare and this little house on the water was taxed over 70k a year because they had its tax valuation at 2million. 40+k a year to Llano ISD. Just not right

Comment

And regardless of what you paid for it ( after all, sales tax is supposed to be based on sales price ), THEY decide what it is worth. Not what you paid. Absolutely despicable

Comment

If you do away with property taxes how do you fund your cities, schools, counties, fire districts etc? Most politicians who want this are liberals who want to control what they send these entities not what they actually need. In other words, More big brother not less.

Comment

Working...
                          X