amish hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amish hunting?

anyone on here ever get to hunt deer in amish country? looks like some real nice deer country.

Never have. Have a friend that did probably 15 years ago. Killed a monster. He said that the Amish dogs had the biggest chew toys he had ever seen. Said they generally sawed the horns off each side of the skull cap and gave them to their dogs.

Comment

I grew up hunting in PA and we have a lot of Amish in the area. They pretty much shoot anything they can. I drove through Lancaster and southeast towards the Delaware border for years and it’s nothing but cornfields and timber….By looking at it, you’d think there would be deer everywhere, but I never worried about hitting a deer on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
        I grew up hunting in PA and we have a lot of Amish in the area. They pretty much shoot anything they can. I drove through Lancaster and southeast towards the Delaware border for years and it’s nothing but cornfields and timber….By looking at it, you’d think there would be deer everywhere, but I never worried about hitting a deer on the road.

Hear the same thing, they love to poach
        Attached Files

Comment

Grew up just outside of Lancaster. The conditions are ripe to grow huge deer and there are some that come out of there however, the Amish have never seen a deer they didn’t want to eat right then and there.

Comment

Planner, where were you from? I grew up in Souderton

Comment

I read your title and thought they put a season on the Amish. I didn’t think they even bothered anyone.

Comment

I have in Ohio during gun season. I love it except when they bring everyone they can get to do deer drives. It’s dangerous and a mess! No orange, kids and dogs everywhere.

Comment

How can they poach with no power? Shoot em off the buggy over lantern light!!!

Comment

I had a buddy hunt in Pennsylvania on some Amish farm. They were the hosts at the lodge also. He said the food was outstanding. The part of the farm was either 800 or 1300 high fenced and he owned all around it too. Only male animals (there were other bucks/bulls besides deer) in the entire place. He said it kept them from fighting. Absolute monsters in there. They were riding around looking and a doe in rut from outside the fence was stirring up the bucks near the fence. He grabbed his rifle, shot it and called his sons to come pick it up and clean it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      I read your title and thought they put a season on the Amish. I didn’t think they even bothered anyone.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Comment

I ain’t and uncle have a farm in southern Ohio. I hunted it about 20 years ago. Beautiful country and saw some huge deer. The yearlings up there look like full grown bucks around here. They do drives and fences don’t matter much. One day had about 6-8 people walk by over an hour or two. I didn’t kill anything but saw a ton

Comment

Just before I found this place I only knew about AT. Those guys hated the Amish. Apparently property lines are only for us English folks

Comment

I don’t notice the ones around here hunting much, but I’m sure they do to some extent. Strange cats.

Comment

I’m in upstate New York now near Amish country and yes they hunt year round but don’t think there’s many monster bucks around the area. As I understand they may have an exemption to hunt year round which sounds odd but possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X