32 gb SD card in a 16 gb trail cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32 gb SD card in a 16 gb trail cam

I pulled the card last week and didn’t have a replacement.
    In-laws are at ranch but only 32 gb cards available in town.

Will I get 16 gb of storage from the 32 or will it not work at all?

Not sure but I had a couple older cameras and they would t recognize the card if they were bigger than the max size for the camera

Comment

The card is just storage. The camera should take any sd card regardless of the amount of storage available on the card. Do you mean is a 16 MP camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        The card is just storage. The camera should take any sd card regardless of the amount of storage available on the card. Do you mean is a 16 MP camera?
        This is what I thought, last season bought some older cameras that said the had a 8GB limit on SD cards. Threw some 32gbs in them thinking why does it matter. The camera formats the SD card to itself and is incapable of formatting larger sized cards. Left cameras out for 2 months on public land, 0 pictures saved. Put the correct sized cards in them, worked like a charm after that.

So, OP in my experience you will get zilch if you put the higher capacity card

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
          This is what I thought, last season bought some older cameras that said the had a 8GB limit on SD cards. Threw some 32gbs in them thinking why does it matter. The camera formats the SD card to itself and is incapable of formatting larger sized cards. Left cameras out for 2 months on public land, 0 pictures saved. Put the correct sized cards in them, worked like a charm after that.

^^^ This is my understanding as well. Cameras will not operate properly with larger cards than they are designed to use.

Comment

If the camera supports the 32gb card it will work fine. I have 3 cards for 2 cameras and use an 8,16, and 32gb card in all cameras. Works just fine for mine.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I may have this problem.

Comment

Huh...I've been using digital trail cameras since Stealth cam came out with the first digital that was like 1.3 MP and $300 and I've never had this issue. I guess I've always been lucky in choosing the correct card / camera combo.
                I always do card formats in the cameras. Cuts down on a lot of card errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  ^^^ This is my understanding as well. Cameras will not operate properly with larger cards than they are designed to use.
                  Thanks.
                  Big month of antler growth I’ll be missing.
                  Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                    Huh...I've been using digital trail cameras since Stealth cam came out with the first digital that was like 1.3 MP and $300 and I've never had this issue. I guess I've always been lucky in choosing the correct card / camera combo.
                    I always do card formats in the cameras. Cuts down on a lot of card errors.
                    Yes. Formatting the SD card in the actual camera is best. Plus not mix/matching cards for different cameras.

Most cameras manufacturers do list a max SD size and a recommended SD card. A few different companies off the top of my head list a max SD card of 32gb. Some are less and some are more.
                    Some cameras even need a faster read/write speed.

It does really make a difference for some cameras.
                    Last edited by Bone Thug; 08-04-2022, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X