Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone hunt with a bow you built yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunt with a bow you built yourself?

Curious who here hunts or has hunted with bows they made themselves? I'm starting on a project to build my first bow(a takedown longbow) and arrows. Not sure how this one will turn out and if it will be "huntable" but I'm following the Bingham Projects plans and have quite a bit of experience making things so it should be decent I hope. it's one of my goals to be able to harvest an animal with a bow/arrow/broadhead setup that I make myself.

There's an old timer from Glen Rose named Rick who is a custom knife maker and a customer of mine and about a year ago when I told him that I was into archery and bowhunting the next time I saw him he gave me a bow that he made 50 years ago. He said it was the first one he ever made when he was about 20 years old. I've got it displayed in my office now but ever since then I've had a desire to build one myself and I should finally have everything I need to get started this week.

I have, used the Bingham Projects plans and materials for the bow and an old circular saw blade to make single bevel broadheads. I'll PM you my contact info., shoot me a text if you have any questions.

Comment

I followed one of Sam Harpers oak board bow tutorials and build one about 10 years ago. I shot the heck out of it but made the mistake of letting someone with a 4 in longer draw shot it.

Comment

Swampghost on here slays them with his regular. Look at the kill thread for last season and you'll see.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

I own one bow that I built, but never hunted with it. It’s too heavy draw weight now for me to hunt with.

Good luck on your endeavor!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Every time I step in the woods!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
              LOL id hope so!

Comment

You have one up on the rest of us though!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I hunted with a bow I built under the tutelage of Lonnie Dye but I never killed anything with it. I shot some 3D with it until it finally broke.

Comment

If not I'm buying the wrong guys bows!!![emoji2]

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have built a few Selfbows and have put them to work of some critters

Comment

Yes, built a couple of hickory fire hardened longbows. This is my favorite. 50# @29 537gr arrow @162fps
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by coop2564; 08-08-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Anyone know where can I get some staves for a selfbow?

Im located in north houston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

yes, I hunt with several longbows that I have built. I have bloodied all of them except one that was a little to much draw weight for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X