LANWR and public access during hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LANWR and public access during hunts

Last year at LANWR, the gentleman opening the gate for us on county road mentioned that LANWR was in the works to open up the refuge to the public at ALL times, including hunts.

He said it was to be in line with other federal public lands. I don't think hikers and bird watchers will affect my hunting per se... But, I leave my bike and stuff by the road where I go into the woods. I worry about PETA type folks going in during a hunt to cause problems.

I called them today and they said for this year, it will still be closed off except the hunters(during hunts) and that they are still comtemplating the changes.

Good to hear. Hope they continue to restrict non-hunting folks.

Comment

Should be restricted "for the general safety of the public" during hunts.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was there for two hunts last year and agree on the safety aspect but also leaving my bike setup would make me nervous with non-hunters around. I did see some out of state license plates driving around that were certainly non-hunters and I am sure they complained about driving who knows how far and having a portion of the refuge closed off for hunting purposes.

Comment

This is an accident waiting to happen. We are required to wear orange, I don't think the general public will be wearing orange. Who is going to be to blame if a bird watcher gets in the line of fire that does not have safety orange?

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X