Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Spread Hand Corn Late at Night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drive 4.5 hours to my East TX hunting spot. 30 acres private land. Very heavy hunting pressure all around. I usually arrive between 9-10pm at night. I run 2 corn feeders but have never had a deer come to feeder and they have been out 3 years now. A buddy of mine disked the pipeline last year and we planted oats, wheat and rye. Saw 1 doe all season.

So, I was thinking to spread hand corn late at night when I get there and hunt it the next morning. Because I'm not there all of the time the hand corn would not get spread weekly.

I also thought about pouring piles of sweet feed.

Has anyone else done this?

When I had my property near Mt. Enterprise I corned a trail once or twice a week with a cart and road feeder whenever I could. When I got ready to hunt it I would spread the corn before daylight, park my cart, then get in my ground blind. I had deer and hogs all the time.

Comment

I think the guys that are poaching it would really appreciate it.

Comment

I hand corn a few places all times of the night, It might be right after dark and it might be 2am, just whenever I get time to do it and I’ve never had an issue with it. Our place doesn’t have much pressure on it though, not sure how much that has to do with it. Not having corn out is far worse than not having it in my mind so I do what I can when I can. Hand Corning where were at works 1000 times better than a feeder so I use a ton of corn.

Comment

I always hand corn before my hunt, especially in my shooting lanes. That way if the feeder doesn't go off I have something on the ground.

Comment

I hunter with a guy that always hand corned on the Friday night about 10:00 pm when he got to the lease. He always had deer on his corn the next morning

Comment

i would just worry the suckers would eat before the sunrise. depending on how much you sling

Comment

Having a pile of corn that won't all be gone in a day or two on a regular basis will educate them to come there to look for it. You can go in the night before and spread more or just take with you before the morning hunt. I have places where I have put out corn for several years, and they have been coning by checking on these places since last year.

Comment

If you have corn feeders out for 3 years and an oat patch and not seeing deer at either, I don't think hand corning is going to accomplish much.

have you put out any game cameras?

Comment

I'm thinking you should start to look at this place as a "camping/relaxing spot" rather than a "hunting spot".

Comment

I wasn’t having many bucks come to my main feeders. I ended up hanging a feeder as high in a tree as I could about 100 yds away from my feeder. I consistently have bucks there that never visit my big feeder.
                      Depending on the timer you can set it to throw on certain days of the week. I was throwing once a day in the middle day or early morning. It changed the feeder game for us. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also… the biggest bow buck I’ve killed was shot over corn put out about 30 minutes before he showed. I was in a good spot but I hadn’t been there in a month. Put the blind up in September on the way to Wyoming and killed the buck in October. No feeder had ever been there. Just put the corn out to slow them down.

Comment

What are you doing for scent control and how often have you hunted in that span of time?

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                            I drive 4.5 hours to my East TX hunting spot. 30 acres private land. Very heavy hunting pressure all around. I usually arrive between 9-10pm at night. I run 2 corn feeders but have never had a deer come to feeder and they have been out 3 years now. A buddy of mine disked the pipeline last year and we planted oats, wheat and rye. Saw 1 doe all season.

So, I was thinking to spread hand corn late at night when I get there and hunt it the next morning. Because I'm not there all of the time the hand corn would not get spread weekly.

I also thought about pouring piles of sweet feed.

Has anyone else done this?
                            So what eats the corn if you’ve had feeders out for 3 years? I can’t imagine not having one single deer hitting the feeder over 3 years. Then you throw in the fact that you planted a plot and only saw one deer, brutal.
                            You might as well try throwing corn out at night, it doesn’t sound like it’s going to hurt anything.

Comment

Anytime, every time, big time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X