No announcement yet.

Carrying in the Small of Your Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strong side is the most comfortable and easiest to draw from for me. SOB is just a pain in the back. Nowadays with most people being too into their phones to notice a Model 29 on your hip, I wouldn't worry too much about printing.

Comment

I always carry on my hip, 709 slim, and wear Hawaiian shirts so I don't print.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
        strong side is the most comfortable and easiest to draw from for me. Sob is just a pain in the back. Nowadays with most people being too into their phones to notice an ar pistol on your hip, i wouldn't worry too much about printing.
        fify

:d

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
          The thread about the guy carrying in the mall despite the "Gun Free Zone" comes to mind. I'm not saying I plan to carry in gun free zones but I do realize I'm ADD enough to miss a sign.

So cross draw is the preferred method?

It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Appendix carry is typically the quicker and easier to access. I don’t know that cross draw in any better or necessary but I suppose it could work.

Most folks carry strong side @ 3-4 o’clock position from what I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The thread about the guy carrying in the mall despite the "Gun Free Zone" comes to mind. I'm not saying I plan to carry in gun free zones but I do realize I'm ADD enough to miss a sign.

So cross draw is the preferred method?

Cross draw is pretty uncommon, but i'd imagine it's better than SOB. Is your reason for considering SOB just a concealability thing? Or is there another reason? It's not typically considered a good option for most of the reasons already stated. I can't imagine it's actually more concealable. I think that is just a mind thing "it's out of my sight so it must be out of the sight of others".

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
              Cross draw is pretty uncommon, but i'd imagine it's better than SOB. Is your reason for considering SOB just a concealability thing? Or is there another reason? It's not typically considered a good option for most of the reasons already stated. I can't imagine it's actually more concealable. I think that is just a mind thing "it's out of my sight so it must be out of the sight of others".
              It did seem to me like it would be the best option concealment wise next to a shoulder rig or an ankle holster but 9 months out of the year it's just too hot in TX.

Comment

It did seem to me like it would be the best option concealment wise next to a shoulder rig or an ankle holster but 9 months out of the year it's just too hot in TX.
                Got ya. I would highly suggest just investing the time and money into figuring out a strong side or appendix setup that works for you. Concealing a gun in either of those positions is pretty easy once you figure out what works for you.

Comment

Adjust your wardrobe to your holster choice. How you dress can affect how you conceal carry.

Comment

Strong-side always felt like it was in my way, so switched to the small of my back and it was just too uncomfortable. Now I carry cross-draw and it's SO much more comfortable. A little weird at first, but since getting used to it I forget it's even there most of the time.

Comment

Small of Back is kind of a specialized carry option. If you are standing most of the time such as a clerk or barkeep, etc. it is great. Otherwise it's uncomfortable and unhandy if you are sitting most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                        Strong-side always felt like it was in my way, so switched to the small of my back and it was just too uncomfortable. Now I carry cross-draw and it's SO much more comfortable. A little weird at first, but since getting used to it I forget it's even there most of the time.
                        Same for me.
                        My buddy carries a Smith 642 and I carry a Smith 637 cross draw.
                        I even forget about it when driving in my car. Try to find a leather holster that has a small sweat guard.

Comment

bad idea jeans

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Small of back carry is a terrible idea for many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Like most things in life, everything comes with good and bad. It depends on the topic and how much bad you’re willing to accept or how much of a good the benefit is.

SOB is probably the worst carry position except for an ankle holster. There are likely more negative and personally dangerous issues in SOB than in other positions.

If a person carries in that position, good for them but there are probably better locations for most people.

In my opinion ….

Comment

Working...
                            X