Deer Survey Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Survey Techniques

So we have 2500 acres of rough canyon country and I am try to get a good count of the whitetail and mule deer on the property. We have flown the property but the buck numbers where very low. I know what I have seen on camera and we were way low flying. I have done some spotlight lines and I am worried the huge draws will make them less than accurate. Any good ideas on how to get a survey that is mostly accurate in rough country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heli combined with camera is typically what we do.

Comment

What about running thermals, downside is sex and species but can get animal count

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
        What about running thermals, downside is sex and species but can get animal count

They have been used but aren’t accurate with much overhead vegetation.

I think there will be a time when some type of thermal or LiDAR is to the point that it can be used.

Comment

I attended a Parks and Wildlife seminar a number of years ago and survey methods were discussed at length. The conclusion was that a combination of stand counts and game cameras produced the most accurate numbers. The game cameras were used to identify the number of unique bucks by their antler configuration. That gets you the buck numbers, the stand counts were used to determine the ratio of bucks to does and those numbers were used to interpolate the number of does. No survey or combination is perfect, there are always going to be missed deer. Helicopter surveys are probably the least accurate but they are the most fun.

Comment

A good pencil.

Comment

We survey rough canyon country in blanco county every year. The only thing that hides well during the surveys are the sika.

Comment

Lots of cameras and stand counts.
                As a landowner I see the same deer groups over and over.
                Bachlor groups makes it easier to count your bucks right now.

But I am no biologist. Just deer crazy.

Comment

Drone survey. Look up JC Wildlife Consulting. He does thermal surveys then switches to optical to take pics and video. Very precise and accurate. You would get excellent results in your country.

Comment

Working...
                  X