Roof top tent talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof top tent talk

Looking to go with a rooftop tent this year, mounted on my trailer. Anyone have experience since these are on the high side. But looks like they will hold up. Tell me some real world experiences that you have had with them

I saw something like that (if I have the right concept) in New Mexico. It was what looked like a regular old trailer that he said was lifted for more ground clearance. Thought it was pretty dang thought out of an idea !

I’m actually considering it myself.

Comment

buddy has one he sleeps in it

Comment

I recently bought a used Ikamper sky camp mini… it’s currently on my 4Runner but I have not camped out in it. Will let you know as I should be using it soon.

Comment

There one listed in the classified section

Comment

I have a 23 Zero Walkabout 72. Used it lightly for 2 seasons. Love it. I don’t think I could ever go back to sleeping on the ground.

Comment

The only reason I would not want one is because I would want to use my truck or SUV during the day and would have to tear down camp every day

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
                The only reason I would not want one is because I would want to use my truck or SUV during the day and would have to tear down camp every day
                That is the reason I would mount it on my trailer

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
                  Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
                  That is the reason I would mount it on my trailer
                  Not sure about all the other models but mine supposedly opens or closes up in a few minutes… will get some pics over the next few days…

Comment

Here is the setup I have, and it's great. I too wanted to be able to setup camp, and drive away. I also wanted to have room for my motorcycles and kayaks. I lifted it and put 31x10.50x15 tires on it for getting secluded in the mountains in Colorado. Here are a few pics from how I got it and what it looks like now
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220629-015211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	24686724

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been running a CVT tent on my 350 for the last 5 years. I had considered a trailer, but at the time that was too much of a limit for me. A long bed crew cab was already a pain to get in many places, and a trailer would’ve been that much more of a limit for me. I’ve now got a short bed 250 I’m going to rebuild my rack for, but I also bought an 18’ trailer earlier this year in anticipation of building a similar set up when I have the funds. The tent will still go on top of the truck for some trips, and on the trailer for others when I’m dragging my Can Am.
                      Attached Files

Comment

TX03RUBI that trailer setup is NICE

Comment

As far as comfort goes they beat a ground tent handily in Texas at least. Place that thing 6-7’ off the ground and you’ll be amazed at the airflow you get at night vs being on the ground. I can sweat my butt off on the ground then climb up in the RTT and sleep like a baby. The wife prefers the RTT strictly from a comfort perspective. While the mattresses in them aren’t a Temperpedic they beat sleeping on the ground. You can, and most do, upgrade the mattress in some fashion. Some use a thin memory foam topper and some replace the mattress itself. I’ve got a thin memory foam topper myself. It works wonders. Another invaluable addition is a Milwaukee 18V fan. One 5.0 battery last us 2+ full nights, and I can always use more circulation at night. I started using it for ground camping, but I’ll toss it in the RTT as well. In the mornings when it’s warming up early on it’ll keep you sleeping longer or make it much easier for that mid day nap haha I’ve slept all over Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas in mine so far. I’m slowly looking for a larger tent as we have a second kid on the way now. Our current tent has been great for the wife, kid, and myself for now. Dogs sleep in the truck bed underneath us when they’re along.

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
                            TX03RUBI that trailer setup is NICE
                            That’s not my trailer. I’m too cheap to buy something prebuilt like that haha I snagged an 18’ flatbed with the intentions of adding a tent rack, cooler and storage racks front cargo box, and a small solar setup. It won’t be quite as fancy, but that’s the general idea.

Comment

Those are awesome, wanted to get the kids out camping but still want to be comfortable. How do they do in bad weather? From what I read they are ok. I think I will be leaning towards one with an annex on it as well

Comment

Working...
                              X