No announcement yet.

Opinions on Shallow Sport 24 Foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shallow Sports are known for running skinny, not so much in chop.

Outside of living in deep S Texas and the lower Laguna, I never saw the need for one. I am sure other might disagree.

I lived in Corpus for a decade and ran in one for a while. Honestly, didn’t even need it there either.

Also, they are known for getting soft decks if stored outside and not covered/protected.

Comment

We have been running 24 Classics for a long time. It’s the same hull as the sport. The 24 does much better in chop than the 21 or 18. I have never been in a Shallowsport that would porpoise. Those tabs just aid in shallow water hole shot. That boat looks considerably heavier than what we run but it should be a solid hull. If you want to get shallow you have to sacrifice some rough water capability. The 24 is the best at handling both in my opinion. Port Mansfield is full of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of the hull, if that is a hull that will do what you need. I would be concerned with the motor.

Ride is subjective. It's going to be a rough ride on my scale but if you are comparing it to other shallow water boats it's probably no worse than the others in it's class and probably better than a bunch of them.

Comment

Buddy had a 21’ shallow sport.

Would run in incredibly skinny water but rode like a piece of plywood. Took it from Bird Island to Baffin one day and swore my kidneys bled.

I don’t saltwater fish much anymore but ever found a situation where I had to run super shallow, a boat with a little bit deeper V like a Blaser bay or a pathfinder will be much more comfortable and still get you anywhere you need to go.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            One look at all the trim tabs/gadgetry on the boat and motor tells me right quick that it is a porpoising son of a gun and did not handle big water at all. Go for a 20 mile ride and then see what you think.
            I doubt you have you ever been in a Shallow Sport 24. They are a shallow running boat and are not very smooth in a rough chop. Great boats though. Will most likely be my next boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
              I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of the hull, if that is a hull that will do what you need. I would be concerned with the motor.

Ride is subjective. It's going to be a rough ride on my scale but if you are comparing it to other shallow water boats it's probably no worse than the others in it's class and probably better than a bunch of them.
              This.......that E Tech is junk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                Buddy had a 21’ shallow sport.

Would run in incredibly skinny water but rode like a piece of plywood. Took it from Bird Island to Baffin one day and swore my kidneys bled.

I don’t saltwater fish much anymore but ever found a situation where I had to run super shallow, a boat with a little bit deeper V like a Blaser bay or a pathfinder will be much more comfortable and still get you anywhere you need to go.
                Your buddy should have run the east bank all the way down from Bird. It’s never that rough in 10 inches of water.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                  Your buddy should have run the east bank all the way down from Bird. It’s never that rough in 10 inches of water.
                  Isn’t that Burning?

Comment

We have been running 24 Classics for a long time. It’s the same hull as the sport. The 24 does much better in chop than the 21 or 18. I have never been in a Shallowsport that would porpoise. Those tabs just aid in shallow water hole shot. That boat looks considerably heavier than what we run but it should be a solid hull. If you want to get shallow you have to sacrifice some rough water capability. The 24 is the best at handling both in my opinion. Port Mansfield is full of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    This is a man that knows what he’s talking about

Comment

Great Hull in calm to light chop. Don’t want to be in it when conditions get snotty. We called my buddy’s rig the crab crusher because it ran so dang skinny. Just my opinion, the hull seems to grab/dig quartering and cross chop pretty bad making it no fun to ride on or run when the wind picks up. Stay shallow and you’ll be really happy with that hull. The motor leaves something to be desired but, there are plenty out there you can buy parts from so that’s not such a big deal if you can work on your own outboard.

Comment

It really wasn’t that rough in the channel that day either…

Worst we had it was we got caught in a storm in the Lydia Ann, northern blew in but the fishing was so good prior to the front we didn’t leave until last minute.

That was a fun day.

Comment

Wish I could post video on here of some rough water in the 24 Shallowsport. The boat really does remarkably well. You just have to slow down and roll with it. We started out back in the day running 18 Shallowsport with Yamaha TRP’s. They were too short in big water. The 24 is much better. I ran Pathfinders and Hewes for Maverick boat company in competition for years. My Hewes 21 was a great boat for tournament redfish but it wouldn’t sniff the skinny water we fish in Mansfield. I agree with above on the Etec. Too many problems. You just have to consider how you fish the majority of the time. I fish Baffin a lot in the winter. That’s not a good fit for a shallowsport. If you have to cross large open bays in the spring then the SS is probably not the best choice.

Comment

161 likes, 2 comments - Mike Miller (@docmiller1) on Instagram: "Windy day reds #shallowsportboats #portmansfield"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              Isn’t that Burning?
                              Most guys refer to burning shorelines in relation to finding fish by sight. When the wind is howling the skinny water on the leeward shoreline is the only friend you have😁

Comment

Great hull, not great power, I wouldn’t be afraid of it if the price was right.

Comment

Working...
                                X