Volunteer fire dept and burn pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteer fire dept and burn pile

I have a big burn pile that was pushed when clearing for my new house. It’s a little close to the tree line for my liking. What kinda of donation would you think would be appropriate for asking VFD to come burn and watch for a few hours ??

$250.00 min.

$500.00 If’n you can.

Remember, all donations are tax deductible.

Comment

I asked our local FD if they would do that for me one time and they said they couldn't do it. In case they got called out on a "real" call, they would have to abandon my burn pile which could possibly then burn out of control. Made a little sense, but we have a new Chief now so I need to hit him up.

Comment

Most will not do that as it is too much liability if things turn bad. Also leaves them at least a truck and two people short handed if another call comes, they can not just abandon your pile. I would call and ask as all departments are different.

Comment

1. Wait for it to rain
          2. Call dispatch and give them a heads up so when all of your neighbors within five miles freak out and call it in they will know.
          3. Light it yourself.

**** Disclaimer! That is how I have done it, and it always works where I live. Hope that works for you********

Comment

True story............my business partner bought some property in NW Houston that had an old house on it.

He didn't want to pay to have it torn down and hauled off, so he called the local volunteer fire station and asked if they were interested in using it for training purposes.

It just so happened that they had a young lady, fireman working there that Playboy Magazine was interested in doing an article on.

The fire dept. and Playboy came out,.........they did a control burn of the house and did a photo shoot of the girl doing her fireman thing.

It made the magazine and didn't cost my partner a dime. He actually was able to write off the value of the house on his taxes, as a donation to the fire dept.........CRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
              1. Wait for it to rain
              2. Call dispatch and give them a heads up so when all of your neighbors within five miles freak out and call it in they will know.
              3. Light it yourself.

**** Disclaimer! That is how I have done it, and it always works where I live. Hope that works for you********
              This is what I have done also. I love to burn those large piles in the rain. They will burn hot and quick at first and you will be amazed how quick it will die down to being manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                1. Wait for it to rain
                3. Light it yourself.

This will not work in Montgomery Country at least the West side around Willis. If you put them on alert they will require you to get a permit. The Fire Marshall told me that the best thing to do is make a much much smaller pile and control burn it yourself. This will take a lot of time but worth it in the end.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RonRon View Post
                  True story............my business partner bought some property in NW Houston that had an old house on it.

He didn't want to pay to have it torn down and hauled off, so he called the local volunteer fire station and asked if they were interested in using it for training purposes.

It just so happened that they had a young lady, fireman working there that Playboy Magazine was interested in doing an article on.

The fire dept. and Playboy came out,.........they did a control burn of the house and did a photo shoot of the girl doing her fireman thing.

It made the magazine and didn't cost my partner a dime. He actually was able to write off the value of the house on his taxes, as a donation to the fire dept.........CRAZY
                  The most important part of that story was left out.

which issue was she in?

Comment

I have an old house that I wouldn't mind sticking a match to. Reckon how I can get in on something like this?

Comment

I would consider burning at least a shed if I could get her to my place

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                        I have an old house that I wouldn't mind sticking a match to. Reckon how I can get in on something like this?
                        TBH get together. $20 a pop and make you some money

Comment

That's how you do it! Dang! What timing, that would never happen to me.

Comment

So what’s the best way to burn a big brush pile if’n you have no water at your place? I see the game warden’s doing controlled burns on days the public is told are high risk for fires??
                            I have cleared quite a bit (several acres) and even small piles will throw flames 30ft high.
                            Any tips? I don’t want to risk it getting out of hand. I’d gladly hire a pro but can’t seem to find anyone.
                            Local VFD says no way jose.

Comment

Probably won’t be able to get the VFD out there. Too much liability if it gets out of hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X