Great Chili Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Chili Recipe

Do any of y’all have a simple: less than 8 simple ingredient chili recipe that makes really really good competition style chili?

I’ve tried some of the premixes you can buy a local H‑E‑B. Fiesta,McCormic,Generic,Fowler, plus I’ve made my own 10 different ways. The best one I made had several different types of chili powders in it. It was good enough but not great.

Part of the problem maybe I’m always cooking for a lot of people 12 plus, plus enough for leftovers. So I start with a lot of meat and usually use hamburger because chili grind isn’t always around here.

I’m open to a great premade mix and will find better meat to start. and maybe do a small batch

I can find champion recipes all over the place but I’m trying to avoid the ones with weird exotic ingredient lists a mile long.

I am sure if I searched I could find it on here somewhere .

Thanks.

Let me also add that Yoakum used to host the third largest chili cook off in the state. Land of Leather Festival. Behind Chilympiad and Chilispiel and I was almost always a judge in both local (anything goes chili) and the Competition Chili that had very strict rules that qualified winners to go on to bigger competition like Terlingua. Let me tell you there were people that took that stuff every bit as serious as the big bbq cookoffs. Lots of giant rvs and specialized cooking that went from event(festivals to event (festivals) garnering points for a grand championship at the end of the cooking season

I posted on other site asking also.

Cajun Blake has a great one

Comment

Cajun Blake’s Rajin Blaze Chili mix. Scale up as necessary. The absolute best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click on the search button and type Cajun Blake Chili. You will find lots of info.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Click on the search button and type Cajun Blake Chili. You will find lots of info.
          Close Thread, made some tonight. Have 1 bag left I just ordered 5 more.

Comment

Cajun Blake and there's not a close second.

Comment

Try Smart's recipe, This is what I usually use. I had to make a pot today at work with 15 lbs of regular ground using fowler mix and it was just not near as good to me. I agree that ragin blaze is by far the best chili mix out there.

Comment

Cajun Blake's is very good, he will send you a recipe with your order of his chili seasoning mix and that is what I've been making lately. I just made a batch today.

Comment

I sent Blake a request. I will order it.

Thanks.

Comment

Yup… I agree with Cajun Blake’s as the base… doctor it up like you see fit …..that’s what I did above.

Comment

Got this one off TBH a long time ago. Can't remember who posted it.

Step 1
                      2 lbs. course ground beef (chili grind)
                      1 TBS Cooking Oil
                      1 TBS Granulated Onion

Add ingredients together and lightly brown meat

Step 2
                      Add:
                      1 Can (8 oz) Tomato Sauce
                      1 Can Beef Broth

Cook for 30 minutes

Step 3
                      Add:
                      1 TBS Light Chili Powder
                      2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
                      1 tsp Garlic Powder
                      ½ tsp Salt
                      ½ TBS Ground Cumin
                      ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
                      ½ tsp Black Pepper
                      1 tsp Chicken Granules (or 1 cube)

Cook for 1 hour

Step 4:
                      Add:
                      1 TBS Light Chili Powder
                      1 TBS Dark Chili Powder
                      1 tsp Paprika
                      ½ TBS Ground Cumin

Add water if needed

Leave covered and simmer for 30 minute

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                        Do any of y’all have a simple: less than 8 simple ingredient chili recipe that makes really really good competition style chili?

I’ve tried some of the premixes you can buy a local H‑E‑B. Fiesta,McCormic,Generic,Fowler, plus I’ve made my own 10 different ways. The best one I made had several different types of chili powders in it. It was good enough but not great.

Part of the problem maybe I’m always cooking for a lot of people 12 plus, plus enough for leftovers. So I start with a lot of meat and usually use hamburger because chili grind isn’t always around here.

I’m open to a great premade mix and will find better meat to start. and maybe do a small batch

I can find champion recipes all over the place but I’m trying to avoid the ones with weird exotic ingredient lists a mile long.

I am sure if I searched I could find it on here somewhere .

Thanks.

Let me also add that Yoakum used to host the third largest chili cook off in the state. Land of Leather Festival. Behind Chilympiad and Chilispiel and I was almost always a judge in both local (anything goes chili) and the Competition Chili that had very strict rules that qualified winners to go on to bigger competition like Terlingua. Let me tell you there were people that took that stuff every bit as serious as the big bbq cookoffs. Lots of giant rvs and specialized cooking that went from event(festivals to event (festivals) garnering points for a grand championship at the end of the cooking season

I posted on other site asking also.
                        Buy Wilson's Chili mix and don't look back. Good enough for my mama and good enough for me. Actually, I've tried all the chili mixes and went to the Mexican markets for ingredients to make it better. Wilson's is the best. Spices can be added for individual tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          Got this one off TBH a long time ago. Can't remember who posted it.

Step 1
                          2 lbs. course ground beef (chili grind)
                          1 TBS Cooking Oil
                          1 TBS Granulated Onion

Add ingredients together and lightly brown meat

Step 2
                          Add:
                          1 Can (8 oz) Tomato Sauce
                          1 Can Beef Broth

Cook for 30 minutes

Step 3
                          Add:
                          1 TBS Light Chili Powder
                          2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
                          1 tsp Garlic Powder
                          ½ tsp Salt
                          ½ TBS Ground Cumin
                          ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
                          ½ tsp Black Pepper
                          1 tsp Chicken Granules (or 1 cube)

Cook for 1 hour

Step 4:
                          Add:
                          1 TBS Light Chili Powder
                          1 TBS Dark Chili Powder
                          1 tsp Paprika
                          ½ TBS Ground Cumin

Add water if needed

Leave covered and simmer for 30 minute
                          haha. do you add the beans in step 2, step 3 or step 4?

Comment

I add the beans in step 4

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              I add the beans in step 4

Comment

Working...
                              X