300blk barrel recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just read a thread about 300 blk subsonic bullet recomendations. didn't want to hijack thread, so here's my question, what length barrel are ya'll running? Not really wanting to go SBR.

It was designed to run best on a 9” barrel. I’m running a 9”.

Ok. I have a 9” SBR that sits. Lol. It’s probably my least favorite cartridge. But it’s a nice rifle and it’s stamped.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      It was designed to run best on a 9” barrel. I’m running a 9”.

Ok. I have a 9” SBR that sits. Lol. It’s probably my least favorite cartridge. But it’s a nice rifle and it’s stamped.

Same, but mine is 10". Agree on least favorite cartridge. If I had it to do over, and I will change it at some point, I'd have just built a short grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
        Same, but mine is 10". Agree on least favorite cartridge. If I had it to do over, and I will change it at some point, I'd have just built a short grendel.

I had a 9” blackout for a couple months and was really disappointed in its performance on pigs. Got rid of it and built a 12.5” grendel SBR and love it. I’ve got a ton of rounds through it and have killed hundreds of pigs with it.

.300 Blackout is a good caliber for the specific purpose it was designed for, but that’s about it.

Like Trophy8 said, it was designed for a 9” barrel. I see no reason to go any longer than that. For sure better calibers out there if you go 16”.
        Last edited by Raider4044; 12-22-2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I’ve got a 7.5” pistol AR and have a 16.5” bolt action. The bolt action is my favorite. I shoot subsonic 100gr bullets for fun and varmints and also the heavy 220gr stuff. If hunting you need to use the expanding subs and consider it like a crossbow as those bullets are just broadheads in a gun. Now you can shoot cheap Berrys 150gr bullets meant for 30/30 and pop pigs in the head on the cheap and almost silent.

Once you understand the round you can play with it and it’s super versatile. With the proper scope can sight in for supersonic 110-120gr and dial for subs when the pigs come in and dial back for deer. I love the round.

The pistol AR was kinda a stupid build but it’s fun to play with and is really quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
            I had a 9” blackout for a couple months and was really disappointed in its performance on pigs. Got rid of it and built a 12.5” grendel SBR and love it. I’ve got a ton of rounds through it and have killed hundreds of pigs with it.

.300 Blackout is a good caliber for the specific purpose it was designed for, but that’s about it.

Like Trophy8 said, it was designed for a 9” barrel. I see no reason to go any longer than that. For sure better calibers out there if you go 16”.
            What bullets were you shooting in the .300?

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
              What bullets were you shooting in the .300?

I tried a few. Been a while ago, but I know I tried the Barnes TTSX, Hornady SST, and V-Max. Maybe a few others also. They all, of course, worked fine on the first hog when you had perfect shot placement, but had issues with them soaking up quite a few body shots before going down once they started running. I’d take a .223 over a Blackout any day.

Comment

Like they said above the round was meant for a 7-9” barrel with a fast twist 1:5 (helps stabilize heavy subs, and increases damage by rotating faster).

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                  Like they said above the round was meant for a 7-9” barrel with a fast twist 1:5 (helps stabilize heavy subs, and increases damage by rotating faster).

Jason Slocum
                  1:5? Chingow.

Is that a thing? I’m fairly certain mine is a 1:8. I’m NOT a 300 blk guru. I don’t even like it

Comment

I think they started coming out with those 1:5-1:6. Mines a 1:7 twist out of a 7.5” barrel. So far have stabilized 220gr down to like 750fps (not on purpose).

Is that a thing? I’m fairly certain mine is a 1:8. I’m NOT a 300 blk guru. I don’t even like it

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                      I think they started coming out with those 1:5-1:6. Mines a 1:7 twist out of a 7.5” barrel. So far have stabilized 220gr down to like 750fps (not on purpose).
                      Mine might be 1/7. I forget. Been a long time since I got it. 1:5 is crazy. I bet that 220 at 750 was quiet

Comment

Surprisingly not at much as my 130gr with N32c out of the bolt gun. I have a blast playing with the 300blk. Mainly due to the fact I get free brass from the range and it uses almost no powder.

Re working those to bump up speed in the pistol but my bolt action is one of my favorite guns.

Mine might be 1/7. I forget. Been a long time since I got it. 1:5 is crazy. I bet that 220 at 750 was quiet

Comment

Is that a thing?
                          Think that's what your favorite company, Q, is putting in them now.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                            Think that's what your favorite company, Q, is putting in them now.
                            I just threw up a little bit.

Comment

oh .. here we go again .. 300blk sucks .. bla bla bla.... get a grendel , a 6.8 .. anything but! we get it!

but seriously ... i have 3 16" guns , one tikka bolt gun and 2 ar's one noveske the other an ultra light pencil from delta company arms .. and a 10.5 sbr .

all are 1/7 i think .. shot 220 smk's 240 smk's 245 lead subs and 110 vmax 110 control chaos , 110 barnes , speer 125's .

the chaos do the most damage , 19 to 20gr of h110 slings them with authority .. and some time pass through.

it's like everything else that's not a cannon .. hit them too far back like you would aim on a deer and you'll find them a few days later ..

so to answer your question i'd do 16" 1/7 .. get you a mil dot scope , sight in at 100 , and you can just about aim 1 mil in every direction every 25 yards and be pretty darn close out to 200 ~ 225 ... past that it gets a little sketchy especially if you have slight speed variation (sd.). (aim 1 mil low for 75, first dot above center)

past 300 the smk240's did a little better for me that the 220's ... i just bought what was cheap and available in bulk on midway or factory seconds /blems ..
                              Last edited by imyomama; 01-07-2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X