Anyone on the GS suffer from Gout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone on the GS suffer from Gout?

I just found out what Gout is, because I woke up this past Friday with pain in my big toe joint and a swollen foot. Went to the doctor and was told that is was Gout.
    Does anyone suffer from it? Is there some over the counter medication to help with flare ups?

I have it. I used to suffer from it. Now I take 300 mg Allopurinol. No more pain. It started with an attack every three months and went to once a month I was crippled for 2-3 weeks. The diet won’t work and it sucks anyway. I recommend the daily meds. As far as otc nothing even dulled it for me. In fact prednisone was the only thing for me during an attack. Good luck.

Comment

It runs in my family. As long as I drink plenty of water I do fine. If I get dehydrated then I get a flareup. It sucks but there are worse things you can have.

-john

Comment

I take Allopurinol daily and 10mg 2/3x of indomethacin per day for flare ups if needed for pain. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you very much with the information.

Comment

guy in our office was told to eat fresh cherries

Comment

Yes, I take Allopurinol daily. It got really bad for me, I was having flare up after flare up. There's a lot of things you can try before the medication route. I would say give them a try, but if it keeps up go with the meds. Gout can wreck your joints.

You DO need to start keeping track of your Uric acid level. Your Dr. can do this, or you can go see a rheumatologist.

Comment

I got it two years ago. Was taking meds. Then I had some bad blood work. High cholesterol and triglycerides. Made a lifestyle change. Lost 35 pounds by exercise and eating healthier and low fat. Got went away. Oh yeah....64 ounces of water a day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t wish this on my worst enemy. I had one episode. Changes my life. I drink tart cherry every day and slowed down on my shrimp and fatty beef consumption. Nothing fried and eat as much raw or steamed as I can stand.
                  I wanted to chop my big toe off

Comment

my brother has it looks like the worst thing on the planet. he was getting multiple flare ups a month. docs told him he needed to drop a few lbs (he is a very VERY large dude) since he dropped some weight and changed how often he was eating high fat fried foods and cut pretty much all alcohol mainly beer out of his diet. now hes a whiskey guy. can still enjoy a great drink but with out all the cards and such.

Comment

I have had a couple big flare ups. Had a really good one last year. Doctor said my uric acid levels were a little out of the normal range when I finally go around to visiting her.
                      So decided to try and manage it with diet etc.
                      I found mine is linked to when I drink a bunch of beer and soda water. My left toe starts to feel tender. SO have been using that as a sign to dial it back so I don't get into a full flare up. Also seems to be more tender when I am stressed. Now that deer season is over, I'm cutting out beer and soda water to get back to "normal"

Comment

I suffer from this mess also. Trying to flush out my system right now. Sugar seems to be my trigger. Good luck , it hurts like hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                          I just found out what Gout is, because I woke up this past Friday with pain in my big toe joint and a swollen foot. Went to the doctor and was told that is was Gout.
                          Does anyone suffer from it? Is there some over the counter medication to help with flare ups?
                          I don’t personally, but my grandfather has had it for several years. He swears up and down that cherries, grapes, staying hydrated with water, and avoiding as much beer as possible helps to decrease the frequency and duration of his flare ups. He does not take any OTC or prescription medications as far as I know. I may be incorrect.

Comment

I have several bouts a year with Gout. I cannot take medication for it since I’m on blood thinners. I go get a shot and take steroid pills for a couple of days until it’s gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Hutch View Post
                              I take Allopurinol daily and 10mg 2/3x of indomethacin per day for flare ups if needed for pain. Good luck!
                              I don’t have it, but the people I know with it say the allopurinol daily is the only thing that works for them

Comment

Working...
                              X