Car Seat in Wrangler Unlimited vs Grand Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Seat in Wrangler Unlimited vs Grand Cherokee

Tried to YouTube/google but didn’t get much information. With an addition to the family the 4 door pickup doesn’t provide the space required. In the very early stages of car shopping but pretty loyal to Mopar.

Fortunately the wife has no interest in a Mini-Van. This would be a couple hundred miles a month vehicle. Wife is pretty set on a Grand Cherokee specifically SRT. Two draw backs for me is resale and this would potentially double as the vehicle I take to hunt. I’ve had a few older Jeeps and so getting back into a Jeep seems like a better vehicle to invest in as they hold value extremely well. Wasn’t sure how the value would be on a more loaded jeep.

So now to the real question, does anyone have first hand knowledge in installing car seats in both vehicles? Little man is in a rear facing carrier style seat now but in a year or so he’ll be in standard seat since they are recommended to be in a car seat until they get their license these days.

Any wisdom?

Not an expert on jeeps or car seats, but my wife bought a new wrangler in 2012 and we put the grandkids’ seats in there several times for the three years she drove it. Our daughter got a Cherokee two years ago and has three seats lined up in the backseat for he three girls

Comment

I have two kids in car seats and drive my unlimited frequently. Any seat should fit just fine, the only question is legroom when they get older. I always put the largest car seat in the middle and my 4 yr old has no problem fitting in it.
      My wife drove a 2013 grand cherokee for several years and the space for the seat and their legs are very similar, the door opening is bigger on the GC so getting the seat in and out is a little easier.

If you have any specific questions let me know.
      Last edited by Shaker13; 01-20-2020, 08:43 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Great insight? Is the door size significantly different? While we are having to pop the carrier in and out of the base the more access the better.

Comment

Why does she want an SRT for hauling kids?

Comment

4 door truck will have more room than either of those jeeps. Wrangler are a pain with car seats.

Comment

You must be comparing a compact 4-door truck like a Tacoma, room-wise, to a Jeep. We've had a "14 Jeep GC and drive a "10 Jeep Wrangler and neither have near the room of a full-size 1/2 ton or larger. With my daughter in her car/booster seat in either Jeep, there was only room for one more person in the back seat. With either my F150 or F250, you can easily fit 3 in the back seat.

Bottom line, Jeep is great for small families but not practical for families of 5 or more.....or if you want to bring your MIL along (nevermind, get the Jeep)

Comment

I have both a 19 Jeep 4 door and a 20 Grand Cherokee. I also have 2 grandkids in car seats, so I have some direct insight. Of the two vehicles, the grand Cherokee has more room for car seats than the unlimited. When we put our forward facing car seat (3 year old kid) in the back passenger side of the unlimited, there is very little leg room without having to move the front seat up some. We do not have that problem with the grand Cherokee. Our 15 month old grandson works out pretty well in both. I have never put the car seat in the middle seat because I am to lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  You must be comparing a compact 4-door truck like a Tacoma, room-wise, to a Jeep. We've had a "14 Jeep GC and drive a "10 Jeep Wrangler and neither have near the room of a full-size 1/2 ton or larger. With my daughter in her car/booster seat in either Jeep, there was only room for one more person in the back seat. With either my F150 or F250, you can easily fit 3 in the back seat.

Bottom line, Jeep is great for small families but not practical for families of 5 or more.....or if you want to bring your MIL along (nevermind, get the Jeep)

He must be talking about a compact truck.

Comment

Her current grocery getter is an older quad cab ram, it also has nearly 200k miles so reliability is a reasonable concern. In the cab isn’t bad but if you need secure/weatherproof storage the back seat gets extremely small after a car seat and diaper bag is back there. This became most evident at Christmas.

SRT as she would be giving up her hemi so why not go for the bigger hemi. The 2015-2016 SRTs aren’t much different than similar leather loaded 3.6 or 5.7 models.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac5dawg View Post
                      I have both a 19 Jeep 4 door and a 20 Grand Cherokee. I also have 2 grandkids in car seats, so I have some direct insight. Of the two vehicles, the grand Cherokee has more room for car seats than the unlimited. When we put our forward facing car seat (3 year old kid) in the back passenger side of the unlimited, there is very little leg room without having to move the front seat up some. We do not have that problem with the grand Cherokee. Our 15 month old grandson works out pretty well in both. I have never put the car seat in the middle seat because I am to lazy.

This is great insight! Thank you for sharing. Did y’all consider the durango, if the wrangler won’t workout seems like the 3 row durango would make more sense.

Comment

I drive a wrangler unlimited, with my 3 year old in her carseat. Leg room can be an issue as said, she's in the middle. Main issue is jeep JK doors don't stay open on their own. Can make loading them up a pain. You can buy solutions online to install, but just something to think about. Also, the JK is loud making it hard to hear the kiddos if they speak softly to you. I still like it, my wife hates it.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                          I drive a wrangler unlimited, with my 3 year old in her carseat. Leg room can be an issue as said, she's in the middle. Main issue is jeep JK doors don't stay open on their own. Can make loading them up a pain. You can buy solutions online to install, but just something to think about. Also, the JK is loud making it hard to hear the kiddos if they speak softly to you. I still like it, my wife hates it.
                          Hard top with All Terrains?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                            Hard top with All Terrains?
                            Yes hard top. Rubicon recon edition still on stock tires which are somewhat aggressive. I think it would be slightly quieter with some all terrains of a different brand. Just thought it was worth noting because it really bothers my wife. When it's just me with the radio cranked up not an issue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                              This is great insight! Thank you for sharing. Did y’all consider the durango, if the wrangler won’t workout seems like the 3 row durango would make more sense.

If you are a Mopar guy I would definitely go with the Durango. My wife is on her second one. She had a 14 AWD Citadel and now she has an 18 model. We have not had a single issue with any of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X