17hmr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17hmr

Got a 17 recently and I'm amazed at the accuracy. Anyone used one for hog hunting? I'm thinking it would be deadly to 75 yards in the head!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

I actually just dropped about a 300 lb boar with one the other day at about 150 yards. Put it just below the ear and lights out!

Comment

I’ve seen a many varmit run off with 17 hmr hole in it. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
        I’ve seen a many varmit run off with 17 hmr hole in it. Just my 2 cents

I think it all depends on where the hole is located. I’ve never seen a varmit run off with a hole through its head.

Comment

Originally posted by Dspivey View Post
          I think it all depends on where the hole is located. I’ve never seen a varmit run off with a hole through its head.

This is very true. I’ve just personally had a bad experience with the hmr. To each his own.

Comment

I shot a 100 lb pig in the head at 105 yards with federal 17 hmr vshock ammo and it bugged both eyes and dropped it like a sack of rocks.

Comment

I recently shot two pigs at about 100 lbs at 125 yards. One in the head and the other in the front shoulder. The one in the head dropped and the one in the shoulder only made it about 20 yards. They will defiantly take out some pigs and its a lot of fun shooting it!

Comment

I love my little 17hmr, its killed countless critters. I learned early on though that anything bigger than fox sized stuff to stay away from the ballistic tip ammo. Not saying it wont do the job but you're more likely to have critters run off and not be found. They have some 20 grain hollow points that will punch through instead of blowing up and they are bad medicine on ear shot hogs and also do a better job on coyotes in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Shot the boar in the head, then hit the sow in the neck as she was running off. Both dropped immediately. I’d say the 17 HMR works pretty good.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Love me some 17 hmr. About to snag another in a CZ 457.

Comment

Keep the range about a hun-irt and in the vitals and you're good.

Anschutz in 17hmr with a stink pig shot through the lungs at 135 yards

I really like the little cartridge and have 5 rifles in it.

Here's my wife's Annie and my Cooper

Last edited by sendit; 01-20-2020, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I’ve shot a lot of coyotes/hogs with a 17hmr. Sometimes I’m amazed how well it preforms the other times I’m disappointed in how poorly it performs!

Comment

I've shot a ton of stuff with the .17HMR and .22mag both. The largest animal I expect it to kill consistently is a badger. I've hit a big boar raccoon in the chest and watched it run away after flopping around and snarling. Had to shoot a bobcat 4 times once too. CCI makes a 20 grain Gamepoint that seem to hit about as hard as any bullet I've shot out of the HMR but I wouldn't expect things much bigger than a raccoon to drop in their tracks very regularly.

The best thing I'd know to do is try it and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                            Keep the range about a hun-irt and in the vitals and you're good.

Anschutz in 17hmr with a stink pig shot through the lungs at 135 yards

I really like the little cartridge and have 5 rifles in it.

Here's my wife's Annie and my Cooper

Those are some beautiful rifles.

Comment

I have shot a lot of coons with my 17 HHRs, never had one go more than about a foot, usually they do a black flip, legs straight up in the air. I have shot some from the rear end, those were up in trees, where that was the only shot I had. Unlike shooting them with a 22 LR in that situation, they drop out of the tree either immediately or very quick after getting hit. As where the same shots with a 22 LR, I have to shoot them many times, they bleed all over the place, climb higher up in the tree, then after quite a few shots, they finally die. With the 17 HMR they are done fast.
                              I have shot multiple coyotes with one of my 17 HMRs, three heart shots, they all ran, two only about 20 yards. First one ran flat out then rolled. One ran, got up under some very dense brush and I lost it for about a week, till it started to smell very bad. They other went a ways, then was able to hide where I did not find it either. I could smell it after about a week later, but I never went looking for that one. Then another I hit on the run, dropped it and had to finish it off with a second round. The last one I shot between the eyes, it's eyes got bugged out and dropped instantly.
                              Most of the time, my 223 with the 52 gr. hollow points, does a better job on coyotes, but I have had multiple run a ways after being hit with the 223. Had one that I heart shot make it about 50 yards, running flat out before it rolled up. Then had another run a ways with a lung shot, then finished it with a second shot. Then shot one that ran a long ways loosing a lot of blood, looked like a shot it with a bow, with a broadhead. I lost that one in some deep grass, I know it died, it lost way too much blood. I think the reason I lost that one, was it did not have anymore blood left to bleed externally. I have killed a lot of coyotes with my 223, most have been pretty quick clean kills, but I have had multiple that ran, with very good hits. So I don't expect the little 17 HMR to drop them in their tracks, but I know it's going to kill them fast. If I shoot a coyote with it and I don't want to have to look for it, I know to head shoot them.

If you want to experiment with different 17 HMR ammo, CCI has a lot of choice, including a soft point, that does not expand as violently as the hollow points. They also have some solid copper bullets. I think a hollow point copper bullet and possibly a spitzer. I don't remember exactly what all they have, but they have quite a large selection of 17 HMR ammo. I have found my Savages like the CCI 17 hollow points, both of my rifles are very accurate with that ammo, don't like any of the A-Max bullet ammo or even the A-17 CCI ammo. I have not tried any of the other CCI ammo, but the copper bullet looks almost identical to the hollow point that works so well in my guns.
                              I am kind of curious how a sold copper bullet would work in some applications, out of a 17 HMR.
                              I am sure a 17 HMR should work very well for head shots, on most anything in Texas. Chest shots on animals larger than 40 lbs., you probably won't have a exit hole and then a very small entrance hole, so virtually no blood trail. But should do plenty of damage, to kill most critters we have here in Texas. But I would probably not take that chest shots on animals over 40 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X