Food/Supplement Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food/Supplement Recommendations

Long post, sorry in advance. Short version in last paragraph if you don't want to read it all.

A buddy and I are hunting his family land that is a 600 acre piece in the panhandle surrounded by 30,000+ acres of land that hasn't been hunted in 10+ years. The surrounding 30,000 acres is roughly 30% wheat and 70% native growth that they run cattle on. A small river and a creek make the north and south boundaries of the property. It is covered in salt cedars with mesquite, persimmons and cottonwoods scattered here and there. We are trying to decide what our best options will be moving forward with supplemental feeding to promote health and antler growth. There is so much contradictory information out there we don't know where to start.

The place is absolutely covered with deer. We put a feeder out November 15 of this year and we have seen 30+ deer at the feeder at one time. We had 41 noticeably different bucks show up on camera from November 15 to January 1 with 19 of them being 4.5+ year old bucks. There are does everywhere. Remember this is a feeder that has only been there for 6 weeks. It's a regular occurrence for the wheat field across the river (800 yards from property line) to have 60+ deer on it at once during daylight, no telling how many after dark. With a spotting scope we have seen a couple bucks on that wheat field that we have never got on camera at our feeder. We are confident that we haven't seen nearly all of the deer that we will see with a year-round feeding program. Because of the high number of deer, we fear that feeding protein free-choice would cost us an absolute fortune. There are two 5-acre squares already fenced that we have considered planting in alfalfa or sorghum but also fear that any small food plot will be quickly destroyed by the number of deer. The local TPWD biologist said he wouldn't do anything because "the deer are already thriving naturally in this area" but we are sure there has to be more we can do. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TLDR: 600 acres in the panhandle surrounded by 30,000+ un-hunted acres. Very high deer population. Trying to decide what year-round feed program to implement in hopes of improving the herd without spending tens of thousands of dollars (due to the high population).

Man I think making a nutritional impact would be costly, planting without protection of the crop until mature would be wasteful. Cheapest major Impact would be cotton seed and even that feeding the number of deer your talking about would get costly. Hopefully they would self regulate and not just pig out. On the plus side You get to play the numbers game ton of bucks to look and and pick from. IMO Shoot the does you can and pick through the bucks run corn feeders heavy and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
      Man I think making a nutritional impact would be costly, planting without protection of the crop until mature would be wasteful. Cheapest major Impact would be cotton seed and even that feeding the number of deer your talking about would get costly. Hopefully they would self regulate and not just pig out. On the plus side You get to play the numbers game ton of bucks to look and and pick from. IMO Shoot the does you can and pick through the bucks run corn feeders heavy and enjoy it.
      well said.

Comment

Sounds like you are in an awesome predicament. I tend to side on the TPWD biologist, if 30,000 acres are next to you, it has a population of deer for that amount and lead would be the only thing I would feed.

Supplemental nutrition would help but I would think that it would be p*ss*ng in the wind as far as improving the herd. The great thing about it is that if it isn't hunted, you could really let the bucks reach a mature age and that in itself makes a world of difference on antler growth.

Comment

Sounds like you got a great piece of land.

Personally I’d certainly put some good plots in for year round browsing.

I might like, put 4 or 5 good sized plots in. Each plot a different source. Deer like moving and Browsing.

I’d keep the plots interior so as to attract and maintain.

Not sure of your soil but cow peas would be 1 plot I use interior for killing near opening day.

The rest, I’d put in for grazing. Florida deer down my way won’t touch a turnip.

I’d look high protein. Astrononomy ( spelling) needs wet areas and has a high protein content that Florida deer gravitate to. I’d plant that in your wet marsh area.

Spike fertilize your white oak trees for good acorns. That’s a great attractor all the time. Fertilizer is relatively cheap and when used well, you can accentuate your natural vegetation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

just let them get old. With that much land and zero hunting pressure, I'd turn the place into a doe haven, and wait for the big ones to screw up in the rut. I wouldn't even say the word "cull", unless you have a big 6 year old **** running off the young guys with promise.

if you don't have water sources, I'd get some. I'd also set up a few mineral sources for them. you're just not going to be able to feed 30,000 acres from your 600.

sounds like a heck of an opportunity!

Comment

I'd concentrate on water and minerals since food doesn't seem to be a problem. Or, maybe feed protein during times when there isn't much wheat or natural forage. If they eat too much, don't fill it up.
              Last edited by El General; 01-17-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Sounds like the deer already look healthy and have plenty of groceries. If I were you, I'd concentrate on feed, minerals, and water to attract deer more than worrying about trying to beef up their nutrition.

We have a similar situation on our lease with whitetail and axis. LOADS of animals, all fat and healthy. We just feed protein pellets in timed feeders (not free choice) and corn. We have salt blocks at every feeder that they LOVE. Plenty of springs and creek running through the middle of the place, so we don't have to do anything extra for water. They have plenty to eat on the place already. Free choice protein and mineral might help antler growth some, but we have so many deer we could never afford to keep free choice feeders full year round. We just keep our feeders running to give them a reason to come out of the thick brush a couple times a day.

Comment

Only thing I would do is kill the salt cedars; they consume a ridiculous amount of water DAILY. I'm with the others, I think a food plot would be a waste, but thats just my opinion.

Comment

Hunted the panhandle for years. When we first stared you could get permission to hunt most place’s simply by knocking on doors. You could by land for $200 a acre. Location is everything from my experience. Once you get to Vernon north and East of 287 the genetics are there and protein is there. They just need to get old enough. Nice deer south of 287 down around the Wagoner Ranch but I don’t really consider that the panhandle. When you get to Childress North and East of 287 great genetics and protein. They just need to get old enough. If that is where you are you should have monsters coming off of the 30,000. Unless things have changed North and West of 287 more deer and you get in to mule deer. You are wasting your time supplementing.
                    I have seen those deer travel four mile across open fields to get to alfalfa or a food source.
                    If no one is feeding the 30,000 acres and you are feeding next to it that is the reason you
                    are covered . I guess what I am trying to say is if you are in the right area of the pan handle and have 30,000. Next to you that is not hunted or even over hunted you should not have to do anything to see big deer. If you are in the wrong part the genetics are just not there IMO. Good luck.

Comment

That is a great problem to have. I’m with the majority to let them get some age on them before harvesting and put out minerals. I agree that you would be wasting your money with pelleted protein. I might be tempted to put out some cottonseed though if you can find a source near you.

Comment

I think I'd try to figure out when the deer have a "hole" in their feed. Like after the wheat is harvested is there a drop in forage? If there is I might feed protein in that down period.

Comment

What county?

Comment

Feed protein from February til October and see how much they are eating. The mature bucks will keep the doe's and younger bucks off the feeders. Have timed feeding times and not free choice. Your not going to be feeding deer from 30,000 acres only the deer that live close to your fence line. It's worth a try to improve your herd.

Comment

Working...
                            X