Beginner Welding Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner Welding Questions

Thanks for the responses and good write ups RifleBowPistol.

Originally posted by ATI View Post
    I started welding Flux Core about a year ago. It's a process. The more you weld and educate yourself the better you get. I laugh at some of my early welds today and I'm still not that good. It's definitely a game changer and I highly recommend it.
    I bought the Harbor Freight one and hated it so I bought the Century 90 from Home depot and love it.

Would you consider yourself self taught or did you have help, take classes, etc.?

Does anyone have the cheap-o Chicago electric/Harbor Freight welding cart? Thought about buying it or just making my first project a welding cart. But $39 seems hard to beat.

As for the welder. I think I’ve decided on the Hobart 140. I’m not sure I need one of the bigger mig welders at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryan81; 01-07-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

You will not be dissapointed with the Hobart 140.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
        I started with Habor Freight 90A flux core mig welder best $100 bucks spent just use the better flux wire from Lincoln
        this

Picked up one last weekend... $87 after coupon. And that sucker WILL weld.

Comment

I bought the Hobart 190 spool gun combo from northern tool about 10-11 year's ago. It has served me well and I used it for something a few times a week

Comment

I was in your position not long ago. Countless hours on YouTube and much appreciated help from the green screen and Hogslayer78 in particular. I bought a Miller mig welder with 110 and 220 capability. You can do a LOT with 110. That said once you weld with 220 you won’t go back to 110 unless you’re mobile and only have access to 110.

A couple things to consider:
            Welding is only half the process. You also need to be able to cut metal
            Buy once cry once for the important stuff, but clamps are cheap at HF.
            You want to make projects by welding, not necessarily be a welder. MIG with flux core capability is the easiest way to get started making the things you want to do.
            If you get a MIG machine, get the biggest bottle you can.

Safety, safety, safety. Safety gear, safety learning, always safety minded. Not just with electricity or hot slag or fire hazards. Metal dust and shavings and latent heat and pressurized gas are all new hazards to consider.

Comment

I bought a Chicago Electric Dual Mig 131 from harbor Freight back in either '98 or '99. Got it for a smoking deal of $130 because they didn't have the cheaper one I was looking for at the time. This one was originally $190!
              It will run flux core or gas, and is 110V powered. I've run at least 80 lbs of wire thru this thing over the years and I have more than gotten my money out of it!

These little welders (whatever brand you get) are very easy to learn on. If you can swing a gas setup for one, definitely go that route. The welds will end up so much better. Arc welding is also a good thing to learn, but it is more difficult than a MIG.

Depending on where you're located, some school districts will have Adult Education classes. Northside ISD in San Antonio puts on a couple welding classes in the evenings for a couple weeks. Well worth the $60 I paid to learn a little more than I thought I already knew!

Now if you ever get a TIG setup, you'll never want to weld again with anything else! EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post

As for the welder. I think I’ve decided on the Hobart 140. I’m not sure I need one of the bigger mig welders at the moment.

This is a great welder to start out with. Run flux core wire when welding in your driveway.

Comment

I'd like to follow this. I think that this could save me a ton of money one day, if not make me some cash as a side hustle. It's a good skill to have.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                    Mig is probably the best option for a “do all” set up. BUT, It’s gonna be a real headache trying to use it in your driveway with any wind at all. If you go that route be prepared to build wind shields of some kind to keep your gas where it needs to be. Stick welders won’t have that problem. Just a thought.
                    My exact thoughts. Wind is a hindrance with a mig welder.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                      Thanks for the responses and good write ups RifleBowPistol.

Would you consider yourself self taught or did you have help, take classes, etc.?

Does anyone have the cheap-o Chicago electric/Harbor Freight welding cart? Thought about buying it or just making my first project a welding cart. But $39 seems hard to beat.

Definitely self taught.
                      It’s fun. While the wife and baby were away I took advantage and built a few stands, a truck deer cleaning hoist and a fire pit

Comment

You want welding curtains or something up to shield your ark. You don’t want to raise your hood and find out the four year old next door has been watching you weld. Gotta protect people and pets eyes. Don’t forget adequate ventilation as well. Don’t wanna be inhaling those fumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                          My exact thoughts. Wind is a hindrance with a mig welder.

Not with flux core wire.

Comment

I have a Lincoln 140 wire welder and love it. you can use flux core, or gas and can also weld aluminum!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                                I welded this 2 inch square tubing 1/4" wall to a 1/4" steel plate with a 110v Lincoln gas welder.

After detonating a warhead on top of the stand the legs buckled and the 1/4" steel tubing ripped with welds still intact.
                                We want to hear about the wathead!!!£

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X