Does have disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does have disappeared

Over the past few months I've had a nice handful of does using the food plot and feeders but the last few weeks, they are gone. Even the momma and her baby that were regulars on camera about everyday aren't around. Also only one regular buck is showing up on camera and he is mostly nocturnal.
    No hunting pressure on them and access into the food plots have been minimal.
    Only thing different off the top of my head is one pig has been showing up at the feeder pretty much each night. There aren't any sequence of pics of him running deer off the feeders.
    Anyone else ever have a good amount of deer around and then basically nothing?

Yes. All year. Tough year with the post oaks and live oaks raining acorns in cycles. I’ve seen deer walk over scatter corn, not give it a look. Coupled with the light freeze and natural browse has made it challenging. But, should be awesome in 2020.

Comment

All of our deer have vanished. Few night pics is all. We spent the last week trying to arrow a doe with no success. Gonna give up on the WT and wait for the axis to get hungry in a month or so. There’s enough acorns on the ground around here to last until March.

Comment

My hogs and deer began to disappear around the middle to late Oct. Wife and I have hunted a few times at out SOT but nothing came in during those sits. Guess we’ll just wait til season and acorn are done to hunt some porkies at night.

Comment

Navarro has been tough this yr for me. I still have a lot of acorns on the ground. I’ve had plenty of doe and young bucks but they are heavy for a couple days then nothing for a few days then they comeback. Same with pigs, very sporadic all yr.

Comment

Same thing happens to my backyard deer every year. When the 100 acre wheat field about a mile behind my house starts coming up, the deer migrate to it. A handful of doe and some smaller bucks will still come to my feeder, but all the others disappear until around March.

Comment

Their diet has changed would be my first guess. they are no longer feeding on what they were back at the beginning of deer season and have moved on to whatever is now in season in your area that meets their dietary needs.

Comment

its been a tough year out in Trickham/Santa Anna area as well. You know when you get on a lease with several stock tanks and tributaries of the Colorado River that hold water year round you think heck yeah a deer/hog haven. Well when you have plenty of mature oak trees that put out a bumper crop of acorns you will be lucky to see 1 deer at the feeder. Out of 8 hunters on 2500acs 3 deer have been taken this season. we trapped a fair number of hogs but its been a bad year since the acorns came down.

Comment

They are all at my ranch...had 13 last night and watching 4 already this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
                    Same thing happens to my backyard deer every year. When the 100 acre wheat field about a mile behind my house starts coming up, the deer migrate to it. A handful of doe and some smaller bucks will still come to my feeder, but all the others disappear until around March.
                    This was my thought, when wheat fields start coming up deer will flock to them.
                    Wheat fields are late coming up this year in our area due to lack of rain.

Comment

It seems to happen yearly to a certain extent...I think its something to do with : Deer YARDING...Which is a up North thing...but its in there Genes even though were in South...

just my take right or wrong

Comment

Happens every year at our place. By December, if you want to shoot does, you need to get away from feeders.
                        Last edited by El General; 01-03-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X