So I gotta move an old travel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I gotta move an old travel trailer

The cabin at fish camp is nicely usable now, it's time to move the old travel trailer out of the way so BIL and sister can get started on their cabin in it's spot. The inside is actually still plenty usable, however anything exposed to the outside is rusted out, rims have rusted to the point to let air out of the tires, jack doesn't work, all the leaf springs broke off, frame will probably go when moved, etc. I figured I'd post here and see if the TBH collective have any better ideas. Right now we only need to move it about 30 feet forward then crib it up level so it can be used to finish out their cabin build. I'm thinking of asking someone out there with a tractor to see if it can just be dragged out of the way ground is sand/shell mix so the truck would get stuck for sure. Also thought about trying to find some old mobile home axles that could be tossed under it. As soon as their new cabin is usable this trailer will be filled full of tannerite and diesel and provide us with a good show, so we'll want to move it again quite a bit further away obviously, so having mobile home axles on standby to move it again later might be nice.

Move cabin 30 feet??

Comment

A bunch of 30/55 gallon barrels underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
        Move cabin 30 feet??
        No, we moved it 3/4 mile, that was a blast but now it's mounted to poles jetted into the ground so it's not going anywhere. Good thinking though. Also the location of these two are kind of on a high point, during storms it's basically the only spot in that general area where I've seen dry at some point. After Harvey we had to catch Redfish by hand that were swimming down the road to get them released back into the bay.

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
        A bunch of 30/55 gallon barrels underneath?
        Interesting. I have some giant piles that we've collected. I could cut them into 8' long chunks and probably get 4 of them under the camper. Roll till one pops out the back and move it up front, repeat. Good idea! Not sure how well they'd roll in sand though.
        Last edited by justletmein; 06-23-2022, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          No, we moved it 3/4 mile, that was a blast but now it's mounted to poles jetted into the ground so it's not going anywhere. Good thinking though. Also the location of these two are kind of on a high point, during storms it's basically the only spot in that general area where I've seen dry at some point. After Harvey we had to catch Redfish by hand that were swimming down the road to get them released back into the bay.

Interesting. I have some giant piles that we've collected. I could cut them into 8' long chunks and probably get 4 of them under the camper. Roll till one pops out the back and move it up front, repeat. Good idea! Not sure how well they'd roll in sand though.
          They don’t have to roll, you can skid it on them!

Comment

Lots of rope and a runnin start

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can get 2 telephone poles the length on it then cut one end at a 45 and wire then along the frame. If you cut the springs and axles off you can skid it with a tractor.

Comment

Rent machine. Dig hole, put in hole, cover.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  Then it serves as a storm cellar. It’s a Polk County thang!!!

Comment

sounds like a fun plan if your going to keep it, if not just offer it up for cheap and some redneck will get it moved.

Comment

Roll it on telephone poles, barrels will crush under the weight.

Comment

Seems like we may be developing a consensus for rolling/skidding it in poles. I think it's doable I just need to get a good chainsaw for the poles, they're like telephone poles.

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                        We'll hit water at about 2 feet deep that machine will dog it's own grave lol

Comment

If the leaf springs rusted off of it, I’m not sure she moves 30’ in one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            If the leaf springs rusted off of it, I’m not sure she moves 30’ in one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Agreed. Burn it to the ground!

Comment

I have friends who have a place over there where the concrete wall is. During one hurricane it floated off it's blocks and ended up about 30-40' from where it originally sat. It is a wood frame house not an rv. They jacked it up and put sheets of plywood down. Squirted dishwashing liquid soap all over the plywood as lube and slid the house back in position by pulling on it with a truck. Put it right back where it originally sat with a few sheets of plywood, a couple jacks and a truck. Then jacked it up, sat it back on it's concrete blocks and leveled it. It was way easier than you'd have thought by looking at it.

Just another idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X