No announcement yet.

Older guys(50+), who remembers this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember it happening but didn’t know there was a mine below. I thought it was just a salt dome.

Comment

Well I'm not quite that old, but I kinda remember from back then. I've seen/heard about it since then. Freaking crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
        I vaguely remember it, when it happened, then maybe five years ago, saw a story on it, then another about it probably three years ago. I remembered it when I saw the story about five years ago.

If you find the right story or documentary on that deal, there is info about all or much of what happened, you will understand that was one extremely crazy deal.

Anyone who was near that hole, when it opened up, must have thought the world was coming to an end. I have wondered what the fishing is like in that hole, I could see there being some big catfish in that hole in the past 40 years.
        It would have been seriously spooky to witness that live for sure..
        Not sure what species of fish are in there now being it went from fresh to saltwater but the did say new species showed up...

Comment

Don't remember anything from 1975 to 1985 as I was drunk and passed out during that time.

Comment

I was only 2 at the time, but I've heard about it for a long time.
            The Doc as mentioned is pretty good.

Comment

Yep remember it , I was 16 it was strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would have had to be living under a rock if you were in Louisiana and did not hear about this event.If history is of interest there is a video and museum of sort at Rip Van Winkle Gardens and Plantation on Jefferson Island that is a great visit
                Avery Island and Tabasco factory are near by and a good visiting as well.

Comment

Never heard of it. Very interesting story.

Comment

That was fascinating. I was 24 back then and fresh out of the army. I was caught up in my own little world back then and didn’t have a clue about anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      Don't remember anything from 1975 to 1985 as I was drunk and passed out during that time.
                      We must be the same age.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I remember it happening but didn’t know there was a mine below. I thought it was just a salt dome.
                        It was before my time. But have heard about it many times. But like you i thought they just drilled through a salt dome and the water eroded into cavities. had no idea they drilled into an active salt mine.

Comment

thanks for sharing as I'm very familiar with the history of Lake Peigneur and the salt mine drilling disaster. I live 10 miles North of the Lake, frequently pass next to it when I go buy fresh shrimp/crabs right off the boats, and have fished it numerous times. Not uncommon to catch bass, gar, redfish, perch, catfish since the water salinity is now brackish. The lake is pretty small and measures approx. 1.75 sq miles (approximately 850 football fields). 65 acres of land was lost as water filled the salt dome, resulting in the lake increasing in size.

only critique about that video, the narrator should have done his homework and learned how to pronounce the "Delcambre" Canal. Sounds like "Dell-Come" ... not "Dell-Cambry". Like everything else in SW LA., Delcambre is a French family name from those who settled here in the early 1800's.

most famous structure that still remains from 1980 - the lone chimney

here is another video from the History Channel.
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXnxGIDhOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXnxGIDhOA[/ame]

Rip Van Winkle Gardens is only 5 minutes off Hwy 90 (New Iberia, LA) when driving to New Orleans. Gorgeous botanical garden that has a restaurant with solid food ... menu ---> https://ripvanwinklegardens.com/dine/. Definitely a cool place to relax and take a 1 hour rest for food when going to NO or going fishing in Venice, LA. They also offer a bed & breakfast if you just want to get away.

Here is a video tour of RVW Gardens - as dbaio mentioned above, a definite must see along with a tour of the Tabasco McIlhenney Plantation at Avery Island which is also located on top of a salt dome. Tabasco is only 10 miles/15 minutes from RVW

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lMkmBRbVaQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lMkmBRbVaQ[/ame]

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I dont remember the accident. Amazing to me that no lives were lost. Thank God for that.

Comment

I was 13 at the time and don't remember hearing about that. That is freaking amazing! Even more amazing that no one was hurt, which is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X