copper vs traditional bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copper vs traditional bullets?

I have no experience with 100-percent copper bullets. My 6.5 Creedmoor shoots 140 Barnes eld great. what would be a good starting place to try copper? This will be for hunting, and I do reload. I guess a copper bullet weighing less would be the same length as a traditional one is that correct? This is like apples and oranges, isn't it? Yes, I'm clueless about copper bullets.
    I've read and looked for information but haven't found the answers. Thought its worth looking into or is it a waste of time and money?

They tested copper bullets on the ranch my son worked on and he was not impressed.

Comment

From my experience, the Barnes TTSX will penetrate through everything, but holes and blood trails are much less due to less hydrostatic shock.

Comment

Look at the hammer copper bullets.

Comment

I shoot the 168 Barnes TTSX in my 06AI. They are a fantastic elk bullet if you can push them fast enough.

That said, I will switch to Hammer's once I'm done with these. The hammer bullets are a softer copper and designed to shed petals as secondary wound channels. They also tend to be a little faster than standard copper as I understand it.

Comment

They need higher speeds than normal bullets to open up. There are several different types from Barnes so research each one. I’m not a fan compared to accubonds and partitions but they can work good so long as you understand them. If you shoot a slower round(6.5 creed) and like to shoot behind the shoulder, I wouldn’t use them. They’ll kill. But you likely won’t get a blood trail.

Comment

I’ve got a 130gr Barnes TTSX load worked up for my daughters .308

running around 2500 fps

Devastating on whitetail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by masonred View Post
                I have no experience with 100-percent copper bullets. My 6.5 Creedmoor shoots 140 Barnes eld great. what would be a good starting place to try copper? This will be for hunting, and I do reload. I guess a copper bullet weighing less would be the same length as a traditional one is that correct? This is like apples and oranges, isn't it? Yes, I'm clueless about copper bullets.
                I've read and looked for information but haven't found the answers. Thought its worth looking into or is it a waste of time and money?

Try a Barnes 130gr TSX

Comment

I am shooting 110 gr. and 124 gr. hammer hunters in my creedmoor and 6.5 prc. But I have not killed any thing with them yet.

Comment

I’ve killed quite a few deer and hogs with the Barnes TSX 70 gr in 5.56. Only one neck shot pig not recovered. I like them but the expansion of the bullets are affected by range or so I’ve read. I limit my shots to less than 200 yards.

Comment

These look awesome sako power head

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                        I’ve got a 130gr Barnes TTSX load worked up for my daughters .308

running around 2500 fps

Devastating on whitetail

I am ordering some .308 ttsx 130 factory stuff is @ 3200 FPS
                        Or some sako power head
                        Or the new hornday ECX
                        ( imo the faster the better on monolithic ) cup core not so much
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-13-2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I shot my elk and mule deer last year with my .300 WinMg and custom loaded 180 grain copper bullets, GMX I believe. They mushroomed nicely but didn't seem to have the punch that my old favorite, Nosler Partitions have. When they are gone, I'm going back to Partitions.

Comment

Loaded 80gr TTSX for my dads 240wby mag. Should be pushing them around 3500fps. He shot two deer this year, and wasn’t impressed with their performance.

Now, I will admit he is a neck shooter, so there wasn’t much meat for those bullets to open up in before it exited. Of course the deer was dead, but he didn’t quite have the confidence for the bullet to do the job and we all know confidence in your gear/ammo is half the battle. He is used to that pretty rapid expansion of a soft point smacking a neck at 3000+ FPS(IE: baseball size exits).

I’m going back to the drawing board to build a load using standard cup and core lead bullets for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X