X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this format work for everyone???

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
      The easiest way to make a ham would be to brine it overnight in a brine solution as well as injecting it through the veins of the muscle. Then slow smoke it until it reaches 170 degrees internal and cool it down till 40. If you wanted to make a true prosciutto you’re looking at 6+months of drying time.

If you can get the lymph node out
      I'm looking for something without the smoke. Let's say I'm not pressed for time, and I want a prociutto-like end result.

When you say
      injecting it through the veins of the muscle
      do you mean to get solution into the blood vessels, or to run the needle along the grain of the muscle fiber, or something else?

I've been thinking about dried sausages, no smoke, like sopressata, salami, that kind of thing. Any tips there? Could I hang them in the attic, assuming I can keep the varmints off it?

The format is fine. Anytime you get tired of my questions, just let me know.

Comment

I'm looking for something without the smoke. Let's say I'm not pressed for time, and I want a prociutto-like end result.

When you say
        Quote:
        injecting it through the veins of the muscle

do you mean to get solution into the blood vessels, or to run the needle along the grain of the muscle fiber, or something else?

I've been thinking about dried sausages, no smoke, like sopressata, salami, that kind of thing. Any tips there? Could I hang them in the attic, assuming I can keep the varmints off it?

The format is fine. Anytime you get tired of my questions, just let me know.
        The best place to put them would be in a cool low humidity environment And let it go. Sausage will dry out in about 3 days. For a full size ham you're looking at a few months.

If you're going to dry no smoke cure then you need to pack in salt and a little cure about 1 oz for 25 pounds of meat for about 3 weeks under refrigeration. Take it out dust off the excess wrap it with clean burlap or a clean water washed pillow case and then let it go for about 4-5 months. Then cut a core sample to the bone and check it out.

If you're doing wild game I would freeze to 0 degrees for about 3 weeks first to kill any bacteria

Comment

why did my summer sausage turn out like crap ??? I'm gonna bring you one to try next time.

Comment

Question: How does Praseks in Hillje make their Cajun turkey jerky?
            Question: How does Jr's in El Campo make their peppered turkey jerky?

Do I just buy a whole turkey and cut it into meat strips? Both their turkey jerkies come out moist and tender.

Comment

Johnsonville Brats or Earl Campbells Hot Links??....

What are hotdogs made of?

Comment

why did my summer sausage turn out like crap ??? I'm gonna bring you one to try next time.
                What was wrong with it??

Question: How does Praseks in Hillje make their Cajun turkey jerky?
                Question: How does Jr's in El Campo make their peppered turkey jerky?
                I've never had either but you can make turkey jerky like any other jerky. If its cajun. I'm betting it has a little garlic, cayenne, and a couple of other spices. I'd have to try it to tell you exactly what's in it.

Pepper turkey jerky. Just strip breast meat soak it in a light salt water brine and sprinkle black pepper on it and dehydrate or smoke.

Johnsonville Brats or Earl Campbells Hot Links??....

What are hotdogs made of?
                I was wondering how long it would take you to find this.

EC of course!!!!!! But I do love brats.

Hot dogs are made of anything except lips and you know.

With any processed meat product remember pork and beef is good. or all beef. With hotdogs I only get all beef because not many people make a good pork and beef. Most of them use mechanically separated chicken. Taylor meat market makes an awesome pork and beef hot dog. But that is about the only one. Dont worry about the nitrite's and phosphates and diacetate. Those are there to inhibit harmful listeria and ecoli from getting to you.

Comment

Travis,
                  Thanks for the tips above. I have your excel sheet and have tried many of them. With school coming, what recipes have you had good luck in cooking, freezing and re-heating for a good meal in the future when time is short?

Comment

Jim Bob to be honest the best meal to reheat is the chicken spaghetti

It's just
                    2 cream of mushroom soup
                    2 cream of chicken soup
                    bag velveeta shreds
                    can rotel
                    spaghetti
                    meat from one boiled chicken

mix all together and cook in the oven or place in foil pans and freeze immediately.

Comment

You know anything about "hot sandwiches"? When I was younger we would come out the hay field and my grandmother would have "hot sandwiches" made. All I remember was ground beef...... My mom never got the recipe. They were germans..... worth a shot

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                        Jim Bob to be honest the best meal to reheat is the chicken spaghetti

It's just
                        2 cream of mushroom soup
                        2 cream of chicken soup
                        bag velveeta shreds
                        can rotel
                        spaghetti
                        meat from one boiled chicken

mix all together and cook in the oven or place in foil pans and freeze immediately.
                        Spaghetti noodles?

Comment

dave yes that's what I meant.

You know anything about "hot sandwiches"? When I was younger we would come out the hay field and my grandmother would have "hot sandwiches" made. All I remember was ground beef...... My mom never got the recipe. They were germans..... worth a shot
                          doing a little research I stumbled upon this recipe.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
                          Cook Time: 15 minutes
                          Ingredients:
                          1-1/2 lb. lean ground beef
                          1/2 cup soft rye or pumpernickel bread crumbs
                          2 Tbsp. beer
                          1/2 tsp. caraway seed
                          1/2 tsp. salt
                          1/8 tsp. pepper
                          1 Tbsp. mustard
                          6 slices Muenster or Swiss cheese
                          6 pumpernickel sandwich buns
                          1/2 cup drained sauerkraut
                          Preparation:
                          Prepare and heat grill. Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, beer, caraway seed, salt, pepper, and mustard and mix gently. Shape into 6 patties.
                          Grill patties 4-6' from heat and cook 10-15 minutes until meat is no longer pink in center, or internal temperature reaches 160 degrees on a meat thermometer You can grill the cut sides of the sandwich buns if you like while burgers are cooking. Top each burger with cheese slice and let melt. Top with sauerkraut and serve on buns. 6 burgers

Comment

Cool thread MC, lots of good recipes to try.

Thank you.

Comment

Uncured bacon

Travis, we had a hog processed last spring and the guy that took the hog to the processor for us, did not tell them to cure the bacon. So now I have several packages of uncured bacon. I know I could cure them, but that seems like it will take too much time. Do you have any ideas how to cook this and make it good. It has the consistence of Mongolian Beef at a Chinese food restaurant. Thanks for your help

Comment

Thanks in advanced Travis. This is kind of general, but do you know of anything to do with duck that is decient? Besides throw it away. I have done the fried, jalapeno bacon wrapped, and duck gumbo, but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions? Thanks again, I appreciate you doing this thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X