LBJ Grasslands help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ Grasslands help needed

My daughter, SIL, and new grandbaby are now living between Decatur and Alvord. So, looks like I am hunting the grasslands this season. I'm from south Texas and don't have a clue where to start. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

good luck have tried several times hunting out at the grass lands have yet to be able to get anything. I would start by trying to get a map from the office I got mine a few years ago by ordering online but have lost it and also some of the areas I used to go to now seem closed tried to go scout a few weeks ago as my daughters are getting sick of staying home so was going to try and hunt turkey but never seen or heard any.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I'm hoping to head up next weekend for an armed scouting trip
      Any suggestion on which units might be best for turkey?

Comment

We checked a few and seen now sign. We ended up going in circles several times on the roads with out a good map it is kinda hard to find the units. I am going to try and track down a new map before heading back out again. If I had seen anyone or had any leads I would let you know but have yet to find any not many people willing to help when it comes to that public land for sure lol

Comment

Most the grasslands around bethel church should have bird’s.

Comment

There are several threads for the LBJ in the Public Hunting section.

Sorry, I can't help on Turkey, for deer- boots on the ground is my best advice.

Maps here- https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...telprdb5269369

Comment

My first ever spring turkey came off the grasslands. Between Alvord and Chico.
              Birds are there but so are the idiots

Comment

Get ready for a new kind of fun.

Comment

I suggest buying ON-X maps and using the crap of of it. Put plenty of boots on the ground during season. Sure put plenty during off season, but deer parents change during season. If there are no other vehicles on the unit when I arrive, I’m on my feet most of the hunt till I find the hottest sign. It paid off for me last year at the grasslands, got my first public land buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interactive map.

LBJ Grasslands Deer Hunters FB page.

Be sure and answer the three simple questions. I'm an admin on this page. Check the announcements for rules and regulations. I worked out there for 21 years as a Forester and have hunted almost every unit. I've had a lease nearby for the last 20 years. It's tough hunting but can be rewarding if you are patient and persistent.

Comment

Texasbowtech, Thanks for the tip. I'll start my scouting there.
                      Froggy, This FB page may be just what I'm hoping to find. Questions answered and submitted. Thanks!
                      Razorback, I'll check the threads. Thanks for the maps. PS. Hook'em!

Comment

I have a good lease for deer down near Johnson City. I'm mainly looking for spring turkey

Comment

lk
                          I feel your pain. I'm looking for a few acres that border the grasslands
                          I have been driving around trying to figure out where everything is. One map has the units but not any roads. Other map has the roads but no units. I'm trying to put it all together

Comment

Originally posted by DrBob View Post
                            lk
                            I feel your pain. I'm looking for a few acres that border the grasslands
                            I have been driving around trying to figure out where everything is. One map has the units but not any roads. Other map has the roads but no units. I'm trying to put it all together
                            It can be very discouraging when you can’t find stuff durning daylight and then doing it in the dark is another challenge

Comment

I’ve been out to the grasslands a few times for turkey, and I bumped into probably 15 pickup trucks for every gobble I’ve heard. Lots of pressure out there. If you stick with it I’m sure you can find a bird on the right piece of ground, especially outside of opening weekend

Comment

Working...
                              X