Camping essentials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping essentials?

So I few up camping and roughing it but the wife has never been. I have the majority of what “I” would need, but want to make this a good experience for her. Can anyone think of anything that would make this more pleasing for her, besides what most of us guys would have? I have air mattress and fan….. and of course I have some great food for the grill. What else’s do we need besides some cold ones?

We tent camp often. I have found that cots are a game changer. Much more comfortable than an air mattress.

The main thing is to make sure she is warm/cool depending on weather and dry. Also, if you're camping in a park select a site close to the restroom.

Good chairs are nice

Comment

Good chairs, shade, “comfortable” sleeping arrangements, ways for her to wash off at night even if just baby wipes, etc. I don’t mind tent camping on a 1” blow up mat after a 15+ mile hike. The wife likes a bit more comfort. I don’t complain. She still does a 20 mile kayak trip with me camping along the way, as well as hiking/truck tent camping trips. I try to make it more pleasant for her when possible.

Comment

Baby wipes

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
          We tent camp often. I have found that cots are a game changer. Much more comfortable than an air mattress.

The main thing is to make sure she is warm/cool depending on weather and dry. Also, if you're camping in a park select a site close to the restroom.

Good chairs are nice
          If it is cold cots are a bad idea. In colder weather cots are much colder to sleep on than air mattresses.

Closer to the restrooms are a good idea for newer campers. I would bring an EZ up to set up in front of the tent entrance.

Comment

If it's cold bring a little buddy heater. I would take a sun shower for her if she has never been camping. She may not like the fact that all she has is baby wipes. You could also take a small tarp to use around the shower and then it can double as "front porch" for the tent if she wanted some solid shade.

Comment

Keep her bug free. In tent, in camp, and in the field. Can be hard to do in east Texas.

Keep her warm/cool (depending on season).

Sleep comfy. Whatever it takes. I prefer a wide cot w/mattress.

Comment

A camper, with electric and water hookups. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                  This got my wife and daughter to love camping. 38' 5th wheel that's as nice as our first house. Cost more though. To be fair, they both had wheels under them

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                    We have one actually. I can’t STAND IT!! She loves it but then Again it’s set up exactly like a house. We actually had to stay in it for 13m while we worked/built a place. That’s what broke me of it

Comment

Thanks guys, sounds like I probably have it all covered. Even bought her own hammock. I think she will be fine, I just want her to like it so she will keep going with me and our 2 boys.

Comment

warm dry and well fed....they will be good

Comment

Not really camping, but hiking/camping. I think my success with my wife for 5 months on the Pacific Crest Trail this summer came down to making sure we had water and coffee every morning (I boiled the water before she got up) and listening to her cues. It’s amazing how happy you can make your hiking/camping partner by listening. By starting this thread and asking tells me you are off to a good start.

Comment

Don’t forget the bathroom, bucket with a lid etc, what does she want for those times

X2 on cots, mr buddy & coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thermacell

Comment

Working...
                              X