Beach Fishing Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beach Fishing Rack

Always wanted a fishing rack to put on front of truck for those trips down PINS. Partly because I’m cheap and because I just love building stuff I decided to make my own. Started with a $94 aluminum hitch carrier from Academy.

Bought some 2” angle and 1” square tube to make the frame. Fastened together with pop rivets. Would like to get a few small welds on the joints but it feels pretty stout as is.

Once I finished the frame I attached the pvc holders with stainless rivet nuts and counter sink screws.

Then took some scrap c channel and a hitch receiver and made a front hitch to mount to the mounting bolts of my brush guard.

Slipped my completed rack in the receiver and I think it looks pretty good. Ready for our annual brother’s 4 day trip to PINS in October.

Total investment including the rivet nut tool was about $225

Good job it looks good.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Solid. I’d run it

Comment

I like that!

Comment

Also. Keep in mind. I don’t know how long the handles on your surf rods are. But clearance in a low slung setup could cause an issue if you hit a dip, seen a many of Broken butts that way.

Looking at the pics I can’t tell if they could pass all the way through the pvc or
            If there’s a bolt there.

Also be mindful of the Reels resting on the plastic, could cause some wear on the equipment. Seen that happen a lot too.

Comment

Nice work. Just don't forget it's there when you park somewhere, I learned that the hard way at a Whataburger.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                Also. Keep in mind. I don’t know how long the handles on your surf rods are. But clearance in a low slung setup could cause an issue if you hit a dip, seen a many of Broken butts that way.

Looking at the pics I can’t tell if they could pass all the way through the pvc or
                If there’s a bolt there.

Also be mindful of the Reels resting on the plastic, could cause some wear on the equipment. Seen that happen a lot too.

Only 2 rods are long enough to stick out below and they don’t stick out much at all. I’ll watch for wear but I only get down 1 or 2 times per year so not in there that much. Appreciate the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                  Only 2 rods are long enough to stick out below and they don’t stick out much at all. I’ll watch for wear but I only get down 1 or 2 times per year so not in there that much. Appreciate the heads up.
                  You should be good. What beach area do you hit usually?
                  I used to frequent pins but matagorda was always my favorite stomping ground. Really need to get back into that.

Comment

We hit PINS at least every year beginning of October with all my brothers, nephews and friends. This year my daughter is coming down so excited about that. Usually camp around 23-28. Went to Matagorda for the first time last November and caught the gulf with absolutely no surf. It was surreal. Had a great time catching several bull reds. Had a run on a shark but didn’t get a hook set. Still trying to figure out the bait rigging. Only second year trying to set up for shark and had about 5-6 runs but no hookups. If someone knows the secret to rig a bait for shark I would love to here it. Seems to be dozens of opinions when you google.

A couple pics from Matagorda. Plan to go back there again.

Comment

Nice Work!!!!

Comment

I like it

Comment

Great Job

Comment

Incredible job, nicely done

Comment

I like that! good work!

Comment

Working...