New World Record long distance shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
    I bet I could fire 69 bullets out of dang near anything and get just as close.

Lol sure you could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      That’s 69 trips to the target and back checking each shot. If starting from the bench that would be 8.8 miles round trip. That would be 607.2 miles checking the target. Would be almost 2 tanks of gas in my truck.
      Unless they had a remote camera on it?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Plenty of asinine statements in here for sure. To hit anything with a shoulder fired rifle manipulated by man at 4.4 miles…….

Luck ain’t got a **** thing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Lol sure you could.

Just do “a little math”, the rest is pure luck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Plenty of asinine statements in here for sure. To hit anything with a shoulder fired rifle manipulated by man at 4.4 miles…….

Luck ain’t got a **** thing to do with it.

So now that they are dialed in, they should be able to repeat it in the next 10 or 15 shots. That would convince me that pure luck wasn't the major factor in this scenario.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Exactly
              I consider myself a decent shot with some decent guns and I enjoy stretching their legs out a little, but I have only on one occasion shot further than 1/2 mile. 996 yards.

Growing up I could see straight down our dirt road, it was two miles from the turn off
              I’m still amazed guys are making that shot, can’t even think about what goes into 4.4

Comment

It’s a hell of a feat to say the least. Lucky? It played a part for sure. Everything has to cooperate with your math for it to happen. The slightest breath of wind at that distance and everything is out the window. I bet they could do it every time shooting in a vacuum. Hats off to them!

Comment

Thats not rifle shooting. Thats Field Artillery. You aren’t shooting the round at the target you are dropping the round on to the target. Pretty impressive in that right but still a lot of reconnaissance rounds fired to get on target.

Purely mechanical optics/sighting? No smart scope right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

When your bullet is traveling that far through thermals and wind changes and everything else you can think of, the math and skill will only get you within the right football field size landing zone.
                    Luck played a huge factor.

I glad it impressed someone here, but not me.

Comment

This is a hullva achievement. Props to those guys.

Comment

I'd be screwed from the get go. I suck at math. Forget trying to predict what the wind is doing and this,that and the other. I'm surprised it only took 69 tries. 4 miles is a long ways.

They had to of been fairly close with the first few shots I would think. If you're off by a mile or even half a mile how is anyone going to know that?

Comment

When your bullet is traveling that far through thermals and wind changes and everything else you can think of, the math and skill will only get you within the right football field size landing zone.
                          Luck played a huge factor.

I glad it impressed someone here, but not me.

When someone works extremely hard to become good at something extremely difficult, those without the talent, drive, or intellect to do so…will always say “he got lucky”. It’s the same logic a child uses when they watch a grown up do something they don’t understand.

Comment

This is how I Invision they did it.

They used a little math but the rest of it was pure luck just like the guy tossing the card.

And I would venture to say that the world record only exists in their head. Nobody is going to certify one shot as a record.

That guy must bored as hell 8 days a week.

Comment

Everything had to be just right. Where I live you can see a long,long ways in some places. We've shot prairie dogs a ways off and if the ground is even too wet you can have hell walking bullets into prairie dogs. And they ain't no 4 miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                Everything had to be just right. Where I live you can see a long,long ways in some places. We've shot prairie dogs a ways off and if the ground is even too wet you can have hell walking bullets into prairie dogs. And they ain't no 4 miles away.
                                Weren’t you saying you only run cheap optics too?

You would be amazed at what a top end rig can to with even a mediocre shooter

Comment

Working...
                                X