No announcement yet.

What brand of bow do yall recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal risers definitely have structural advantages.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Metal risers definitely have structural advantages.

Gary
      Yes they do. If you ever have a riser break on you at full draw (I've had two), you'll understand why I like metal.

Rick

Comment

The weight is a negative for me. Even thick riser wood bows seem cumbersome. And I prefer a low wrist grip which I'm sure you could get in an ILF configuration.
        That's one thing I do like about the traditional side.
        If I own a Hoyt compound it will look very similar to everyone else's Hoyt even if it is a different model. Same with Mathew's or PSE etc.
        With a custom bow, even though the bowyers design is pretty static in construction,all the little things make it more personal for me.
        That said, starting out there is no way I could drop several hundred or a thousand plus on a custom. And I believe it would have been unwise to.

Gary

Comment

For those that suggest new strings, any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Metal bows have no soul Rick. Lifeless entities doomed to roam the void forever. [emoji16][emoji6]

That's the thing I meant. It's a very personal thing. There is no "best" that fits all.

Gary
            Bows are like cars and women, everyone likes something a bit different. There are many tried and true designs out there that deserve close scrutiny. Do your research, talk to everyone, boil it down and pull the trigger. (so to speak) There are several bowyers who do not advertise at all, but word of mouth keeps them in business. As mentioned in my original post 3 of 4 bows I own are not longer made. Also, look into the try before you buy, that some bowyers have. That will give you a real good idea of what you like and not.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
              This is it's whole own can of worms. Some only want high end skinny strings because of feel and performance benefits, some only like old school dacron because of feel and easier quietening, some like one type on recurves and another on longbows. Basically you gotta try a few and see what you like.

Comment

Mountain muffler

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

start on a 62'' or 64'' recurve, it really helps developing form and consistency which builds confidence....and probably start with a 40# bow or less..find out if you like 3under or split finger method, check out joel turner youtube videos, he helps with the form and mental side of the spectrum in a simple but efficient way....

Comment

I've got a custom built Ron Foley Wave recurve I'm looking to sell. It's 42#@28. I live just down the road from you in Deweyville if you'd like to shoot it. Just prefer shooting my Sarrels lynx. I paid $1000 for it and I'd take $500. Shot VERY little. PM me if you're interested.
                    Last edited by ptaylortx; 10-15-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Here's some pics
                      Attached Files

Comment

Im probably gonna hold off till January.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                          This is it's whole own can of worms. Some only want high end skinny strings because of feel and performance benefits, some only like old school dacron because of feel and easier quietening, some like one type on recurves and another on longbows. Basically you gotta try a few and see what you like.
                          Gotcha. I was hoping there was an easy way to buy a string. I am in the same boat and wanting to start shooting traditional. The Sage seems like a great option to start and if a new string means a much better experience, I am all in. I was hoping it would be an easy purchase. Sounds like I need to talk to some experts first...

Comment

Do it...do it now.

Good luck on your trad endeavor MrLegacy.

Comment

Gotcha. I was hoping there was an easy way to buy a string. I am in the same boat and wanting to start shooting traditional. The Sage seems like a great option to start and if a new string means a much better experience, I am all in. I was hoping it would be an easy purchase. Sounds like I need to talk to some experts first...
                              If you are looking for a new string, I highly recommend Hunter's Choice Bowstrings.

Comment

There is. 3 Rivers sells premade strings.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X