Central Texas brush ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Texas brush ?

So I’ve been clearing and burning cedar on my place for the past 4 years and everywhere I have had a burn pile what I think is sumac starts growing. I’ve mowed it down, root grappled it up and still can’t even slow the stuff down. I’ve never used any chemicals , and don’t want to harm my oak trees and native pasture. So my question for y’all is what do I use, when do I use it, and what’s the best application method?

Yup, looks like flameleaf sumac. It loves recently burned areas. Remedy and diesel will kill it.

Comment

100% flameleaf sumac. Any number of herbicides will work on it but what Punchar51 said tends to be a go-to for most applications. Don't worry about your Oaks or natives - just don't overspray!

Comment

Okay good deal, so do I just spray it on the foliage and try to keep from getting to much overspray? Is this time of year okay to spray them, or is it to hot ? Sorry I’ve been reading to many instructions on the back of the bottles at TSC.

Comment

Gotcha, I must’ve been typing when you responded. Thanks y’all.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdybass View Post
            Okay good deal, so do I just spray it on the foliage and try to keep from getting to much overspray? Is this time of year okay to spray them, or is it to hot ? Sorry I’ve been reading to many instructions on the back of the bottles at TSC.
            Basal spray only. So the bottom 18” of each stem, completely around the stem. It will be slow and tedious, but it’s better to do it correct once than have to do it a million times.

Comment

Worst thing about it was all of the top pic was 100% cedar and dirt , then finally started getting grass coming up now I’m afraid this stuff is going to take over like the cedars were.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdybass View Post
                Worst thing about it was all of the top pic was 100% cedar and dirt , then finally started getting grass coming up now I’m afraid this stuff is going to take over like the cedars were.
                Cedar(Juniper) is easy to kill, so I’d say it’s going to be even more of a pain. We’ve helped guys clear hundreds of acres, or conduct a prescribed burn, and then flameleaf comes in thick to replace juniper. It just shows that your job is never done as a land manager

Comment

Yes sir , everywhere I’ve cleared has something new trying to take its place.

Comment

Deer Eat It

Comment

Try Grazonnext. We used it in Llano at our place for everything. It won't harm the oak trees or grass, but is suppose to kill everything else. You have to have an applicators license to buy it though.

Comment

Yep, Flameleaf Sumac. Comes after disturbed soil. Deer do browse it but it's low in crude protein. Beautiful foliage during the fall. And the bucks love to rub it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                          Try Grazonnext. We used it in Llano at our place for everything. It won't harm the oak trees or grass, but is suppose to kill everything else. You have to have an applicators license to buy it though.
                          I’ve thought about going to the class to get my license. If I’ve heard right it’s not to bad of a class to sit through ?

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
                            Deer Eat It
                            I wouldn’t mind a little bit of it , but this stuff is starting to take over.

Comment

I've been having good luck with Pronone pellets on Mesquite, Sumac and Locust. And a few unwanted cedars.

Comment

Working...
                              X