No announcement yet.

Culling studies prove it isn't beneficial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article but kind of a one sided study when your only culling half the genetic pool and make a statement that culling doesn't work. Doe's are just as important in size of antlers or possibly more since the nutrition when developing and once born plays a role. If 50% of your genetics to start are inferior your chances are greatly decreased in producing big antler size. Also you couldn't keep the ratios correct or the carry capacity of the land correct by culling just bucks.

Culling to keep deer herd ratios as close to 1 to 1 and to the carrying capacity of the land for better nutrition i would think isn't covered under the broad statement this article makes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
      Interesting article but kind of a one sided study when your only culling half the genetic pool and make a statement that culling doesn't work. Doe's are just as important in size of antlers or possibly more since the nutrition when developing and once born plays a role. If 50% of your genetics to start are inferior your chances are greatly decreased in producing big antler size. Also you couldn't keep the ratios correct or the carry capacity of the land correct by culling just bucks.

Culling to keep deer herd ratios as close to 1 to 1 and to the carrying capacity of the land for better nutrition i would think isn't covered under the broad statement this article makes.
      Culling bucks and population management are two different things.

Comment

Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
          Culling bucks and population management are two different things.

I totally understand your statement but to truly manage a deer herd through culling you need to consider both sexes, population and recruitment. If not then your wasting your time and money.

Comment

The study is interesting, but I can tell you in Africa most farmers do extensive culling/herd management and the results are impressive. Great genetics and healthy herds in most places. It may be a third world country, but they are very advanced in game management.
            R

Comment

It is interesting that some bucks that have smaller antlers may produce bigger bucks and that it's hard to tell if culling really works but we use it as a way to reduce our population and keep our #'s and our buck to doe ratio in check. We will continue to manage our population to ensure that we have plenty of high quality habitat and protein feed available for the entire population.

Comment

One thing thats fascinating to me regarding the whole "culling" idea is ostensible we shoot lessor quality deer to keep them from breeding and improve the herd. Then turn around and do everything we can to shoot the biggest buck on the ranch. Seems illogical to me.

We shoot only mature bucks and most of our " culls" would be quite exciting to most. Focus on nutrition and Age!!!

Comment

Working...
                X